Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
can anybody tell me how to make my garage door opener work in my 2012 SL550?
I followed the manual but that doesnt work... any ideas?

Best regards
Dieta

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you pressing the learn button on the garage door opener itself (big motor bolted to the ceiling)?
No, dont I just have to push the remote thingy button in my hand and the mercedes button at the same time?
I am confused... how do i do this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
with most garage doors there are two steps. First you program the remote to the the car, which you did by following the directions in the owners manual (pointing remote at mirror while holding mirror button, etc)

Next you have to program the car to the opener. First, open the garage door. Next, get on a ladder/stool and take a look at the opener. There should be a button on it somewhere. You might need to remove the panel that covers the light bulb to see it. Once you find the button, press and release it. Then, go back to your car immediately and start pressing and releasing the button on the mirror (press 1 second, release one second, repeat) Keep doing it until the door moves. Then you’re all done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the first step that doesnt even work. I press both buttons but the mirror light never turns to "rapidly flashing".

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
Hi all,
can anybody tell me how to make my garage door opener work in my 2012 SL550?
I followed the manual but that doesnt work... any ideas?

Best regards
Dieta
if your garage door opener is newer than the car, you might need a Homelink bridge. Around 2012 the Homelink communication protocols changed and cars from 2012 or earlier with built in garage door buttons are not compatible. I know that Chamberlain/Liftmaster did not build backward compatibility into their openers, but they sell the bridge that will do the trick. It acts as a translating relay between the door opener and the car. I have a 2001 SL500 and a 2010 SL63 that work through the bridge. I also have a 2012 Cadillac, and they used an entirely different Car2U technology. Another bridge that relays Car2U to the new Homelink solved that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here, I think I paid aboutr 15 bucks for the bridge from Amazon- by default it plugs into and therefore uses up a receptacle, I've been thinking of disassembling it and actually installing it inside the lens cover of my opener and feeding it 120V from the opener, but haven't yet, it's been hanging on my garage wall for about three months. Damn near drove me crazy until I learned i needed it, once I got it the instruction/setup was dirt simple and i had it working in less than three minutes, and I think two of them was trying to decide where to plug it in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OP says the mirror won’t even recognize the signal from the opener (no LED quick flash)

How would a bridge have any effect on this?

·
Registered
2005 R230 SL350 (M112)
25 Posts
The frequencies need to be correspondIng, the spot and distance from the mirror are very critical when pairing, erasing stored codes from the mirror is a good idea, check country code in the mirror. Someone before you may have messed things up. I bought a dirt cheap receiver with two transmitters with matching freq from China for less than €8. Probably not a very secure key code, I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I just left it as is cause I dont want an extra device in my garage. So I just put my regular garage door opener in my SL. :)

·
Registered
2005 R230 SL350 (M112)
25 Posts
I had my doubts too, so I can understand that. It’s fun, though, having everything work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts