Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Formerly a 1990 200E; then a 2003 E320; and now a 2010 E350 P1, P2, Wheel pkg & folding rear seats
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 E-320 Sport option with Airmatic DC had bad engine mounts. I took the car in for replacement at a cost of ~$420 equivalent.
Three days later, I pick up the car and I couldn't drive her because the power steering was no longer working. I pointed this out and they took her back, worked on it (no extra cost) and 9 days later, she's ready for pick up.

I've picked her up and the engine runs fine; no more vibrations and they did repair the power steering issue but I now find evidence of poor treatment here and there:
  • The soft opening mechanism of the glove box no longer works and the glove compartment door just falls open when you push the button.
  • The fuel gauge now only recognizes half the fuel in the tank. Twice now, the tank reads empty but only takes 40 liters to fill up!
  • They cut the rubber holding the fuel tank cover to the car. I can't imagine why they would do that
  • The car now occaisionally creaks from the driver's side front suspension. I took her in for them to have a look but we were unable to replicate the problem so no work done.
  • I've found at least one place where a screw was removed and not replaced back - I've since got them to replace it.
  • Who knows what else is lurking under the covers waiting to be discovered?
:surrender:

The experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I've decided to put her up for sale. I'll be sad to let her go but perhaps this is an opportunity to get a better/newer model.

This is what happens when one doesn't have a benz dealer in the area and have to resort to using local garages to do jobs like this. Mind you, this is one of the best garage centers we have here. Poor old us, eh? :surrender:

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
My Benz dealer is a 200 mile drive for me. I do use them for all the reasons you pointed out. However I do as much as I can at home. So far I do:

Fan Belts
Spark plugs
Filters (exclusive of the fuel filter in the tank)
brakes
oil/filter change
routine inspections, ( I no longer look for dints and dings as it is my wife's car and I lost count)
Aux Battery change
Fog light lense change
Headlight bulbs.

SO you can do quite a bit.

·
Registered
w204 (C350ELE)
1,262 Posts
My Benz dealer is a 200 mile drive for me. I do use them for all the reasons you pointed out. However I do as much as I can at home. So far I do:
Fan Belts
Spark plugs
Filters (exclusive of the fuel filter in the tank)
brakes
oil/filter change
routine inspections, ( I no longer look for dints and dings as it is my wife's car and I lost count)
Aux Battery change
Fog light lense change
Headlight bulbs.
SO you can do quite a bit.
Man you better keep this thread away from your loved one, or post your picture just in case you need to be identified when they find you in the bayou.
It is vital today to do things as you posted, and do them on time to avoid having to go to the Shop.
Happy motoring, JV

·
Registered
w204 (C350ELE)
1,262 Posts
My 2003 E-320 Sport option with Airmatic DC had bad engine mounts. I took the car in for replacement at a cost of ~$420 equivalent.
Three days later, I pick up the car and I couldn't drive her because the power steering was no longer working. I pointed this out and they took her back, worked on it (no extra cost) and 9 days later, she's ready for pick up.
I've picked her up and the engine runs fine; no more vibrations and they did repair the power steering issue but I now find evidence of poor treatment here and there:
  • The soft opening mechanism of the glove box no longer works and the glove compartment door just falls open when you push the button.
  • The fuel gauge now only recognizes half the fuel in the tank. Twice now, the tank reads empty but only takes 40 liters to fill up!
  • They cut the rubber holding the fuel tank cover to the car. I can't imagine why they would do that
  • The car now occaisionally creaks from the driver's side front suspension. I took her in for them to have a look but we were unable to replicate the problem so no work done.
  • I've found at least one place where a screw was removed and not replaced back - I've since got them to replace it.
  • Who knows what else is lurking under the covers waiting to be discovered?
:surrender:
The experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I've decided to put her up for sale. I'll be sad to let her go but perhaps this is an opportunity to get a better/newer model.
This is what happens when one doesn't have a benz dealer in the area and have to resort to using local garages to do jobs like this. Mind you, this is one of the best garage centers we have here. Poor old us, eh? :surrender:
How will it affect the value when they find your mechanic in the trunk?
Hope you can sell it well. Good luck.
Cheer up, JV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts