Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.......its commonly known that many of us are afflicted with a disease called AUTOMANIA and , in our cases, MLMANIA !!

I would say a fair amount of us spend an inordinate amount of time in our garages. Listening to some good tunes , tackling projects and an occasional brewski ......we are the masters of our domain (at least the garage !!).....So I thought we might start a thread with improvements and must-haves for our garages.

I'll start with two of my favorites :

Refrigerator cardboard boxes. Every couple of months I'll go by a Lowe's or HomeDepot to see if I can grab one or two of these to put down underneath the cars.
Usually they have all their delivery trucks loaded up in the early morning and that's the best time to ask. They generally take the fridges out of the boxes to make sure there is no damage, and they leave the boxes back in the Receiving Area to be crushed. Perfect time to ask for one !! GREAT way to keep track of any leaks and drips under your 163's or whatever. Also nice to have when working on lawnmowers or other equipment. Also provides a little cushioning instead of cold concrete.

Next up, is good lighting . I've got three or four rechargeable flashlights that I use daily. Bosch Lithium is my favorite and its batteries can be used with other Bosch power tools. Those babies hold a charge for a long time ! Also have a big 12" X 36" LED panel mounted on the ceiling. That baby puts out some serious lumens !!
But, my favorite light is mounted right next to my ceiling mounted garage door opener. It is a single bulb trouble light with a wire screen to protect the LED bulb from breakage. Its best feature is the cord is in a retractable case. Being located in the center means it will reach anywhere in the garage and the LED bulb burns cool with no risk of breakage. So when they install garage door openers, of course they have to have 110V to operate and builders generally put an electrical outlet in the ceiling for that exact purpose. Perfect place to plug in your trouble light and the light itself can be hung from the door opener hardware !!

Looking for other suggestions that you use daily, and just makes the work a little easier !

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
943 Posts
With you on the rechargeable light! I use a dewalt 20 volt led, like it because it can sit on the floor on its battery pack it is long and narrow with a pistol grip but its head can tilt from reading light to about 120 degrees, with Hi Low setting. Brand here does not matter. For Christmas I gave my brother in law the Ryobi equivalent It kicks also.

Also a ceiling mount retractable extrension cord, have not have too much luck with them though last was a Snap-on, but through Costco. The new one just got for Christmas and need to install, it is a husky 14 gauge. I mount them center right behind the opener.

One item I use for storage is a 5 drawer cabinet my daughter got for me for 25.00 $ at a fabric store that was going out of business. It has 5 drawers 2' deep was used to store sewing patterns. The deep drawers are great for parts, filtes and large tool storage. She reserved one I went to look at it, when we got there and I saw it I wanted another, they were all taken, Always looking for out of the box storage ideas!

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,741 Posts
Here in Oz we have a garage and then we have a shed as well.
The garage has all the cars , some tools and all the cleaning equipment for them. My wife got a cordless Dyson so I stole the big ducted vac off the back of the house and stuck it in the middle of the garage. The hose is about 20feet long so it does all four cars without moving it. The pressure cleaner is right next to the vac as well.
Then the shed is where all the work gets done and i spend a good part of my life in there.
Restoring a 29 Dodge victory six sports roadster in there at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in Oz we have a garage and then we have a shed as well.
The garage has all the cars , some tools and all the cleaning equipment for them. My wife got a cordless Dyson so I stole the big ducted vac off the back of the house and stuck it in the middle of the garage. The hose is about 20feet long so it does all four cars without moving it. The pressure cleaner is right next to the vac as well.
Then the shed is where all the work gets done and i spend a good part of my life in there.
Restoring a 29 Dodge victory six sports roadster in there at the moment.

Matt, that sounds pretty amazing..How about posting a few pictures, particularly of the 29 Dodge roadster !!

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
275 Posts
I actually use MDF for the floor because of the snow/water that it will ocassionally see and I have been surprised how well this stuff has held up! Going on four years. Dirty as hell but does a great job protecting my floor and I've never once noticed any mold or odors from it and I am very sensitive to mold. Truthfully I do need to get a new piece cut soon.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,741 Posts
Matt, that sounds pretty amazing..How about posting a few pictures, particularly of the 29 Dodge roadster !!
This is the 2 dodge’s finished.

This is the roadster when I got it and the progress now.

This is what I’m aiming for haha.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
943 Posts
Wow Matt! I will need to head out later today and get a Fosters ( or another Aussie beer you recommend) in order to toast your accomplishments.

Of course we have now a million questions like how long did it take?
Have you shown them?
Where did you get all the chrome?
Have they been in any down under movie or tv production? (We are big Aussie tv fans though not period to your dodge Harrow, and Wanted!)
And again where did you get all the chrome?

Etc?

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Thanks Wallyo
It took a couple of years to do them both and they have lots of chrome. The roadster has so much I just bought a small electroplating kit to do all the little parts. It’s paid for itself already. I’m doing it all in nickel plating not chrome. 28-29 they started chrome plating so I’m in the middle of the change over so I should get away with it.
As for the beer I don’t think we even sell fosters her anymore. Lol.
Spare wheel holders I did on the weekend.

The 29 victory was apparently in the movie Pharlap before I bought it.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
943 Posts
Yeah I guess Foster’s is actually brewed in the UK but it’s considered an Aussie beer. Do you have another recommendation !

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
I’m not a huge drinker but I do enjoy a beer after work on a real hot day. Great northern mid strength is a bloody beautiful drop.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,302 Posts
I found a new product that became an instant must-have. The Bissell SpotClean portable carpet and upholstery cleaner. Finally I can deal with ML carpet and mat stains from up to a decade ago, plus dining chairs and office/waiting room chairs that haven’t had a proper clean in years.

I’m still finding residues of a bottle of Passion Pop my wife sprayed all over me in the driver’s seat on Christmas Eve 2011. Deliberately.

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was about garage must-haves. #threadjackedbymatt

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
673 Posts
Really nice job Matt.. The nickle looks fantastic, I prefer it over the chrome..

Back to garage flooring... Rock quarry conveyor belt (or any industrial conveyor belt).. I've got it in the barn and garage.. I put it down some 15 years ago.. Not a nick in it.. Gas and oil doesn't phase it... Great to stand or lie on.. Only one drawback.. It's a bitch to cut.. Got to use a concrete saw with a steel cut-off blade..

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
943 Posts
I found a new product that became an instant must-have. The Bissell SpotClean portable carpet and upholstery cleaner. Finally I can deal with ML carpet and mat stains from up to a decade ago, plus dining chairs and office/waiting room chairs that haven’t had a proper clean in years.

I’m still finding residues of a bottle of Passion Pop my wife sprayed all over me in the driver’s seat on Christmas Eve 2011. Deliberately.

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was about garage must-haves. #threadjackedbymatt
Hey I am in there with you on the bisssll. A customer of mine had one that did not work, she purchase a new one. Said about the old one “ it doesn’t work you want it”. Needed a new 3 dollar drive belt for the main brush is all, came with the ulpostry brush as well.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
943 Posts
Matt, those are absolutely amazing restorations !! Looks straight out of Bonnie and Clyde !

Absolutely beautiful !!
Springer

I agree with you period wise, Matt should look at getting them in a period movie for sure!

But a weird tidbit of Americana is Clyde Barrow's had a passion for Ford V-8's. His passion for the Ford was so great he wrote Henry Ford, a letter thanking him for building such a great car. You see the Ford/ Dodge debate was happening back then as it still is today.

The Highwaymen is a great movie that tells the story from not the outlaws point of view but from the G-men that tracked them down.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,302 Posts
Matt, where do you get tyres for those?

Amazing work! Love to see the gallery of work-in-progress one day. And read the story. Did you shoot any video?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts