Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1995 sl 500
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gadha's step by step DIY guide to Fan Blower Strap Repair

I wrote the Gadha’s Guide to Fan Blower Strap repair based on my 1995 SL500. I could not find a detailed set of instructions with photos and tips in one place so I wrote this to help others as a way pay back for all the invaluable advice I have received from others in this forum

When the plastic tab that holds the fan blower strap breaks the symptom is a buzzing noise coming from the center A/C vent when you make a fast turn while driving. Plastic gets old and brittle over age so this is a common problem.

DIY takes around 2-3 hours and costs less than $2 but takes a lot of patience and clear instructions. Level of complexity is minimal.

The pictures tell all steps.

Due to limits per post the steps are continued to next post.

Step 1-7:

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 sl 500
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step 25 - 31

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 sl 500
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Step 32 - 38

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 SL500
282 Posts
Oh man, u're absolutely amazing and patient to take photos while doing this messy fix! I replaced the blower motor before am reluctant to replace the dead resistor...
I highly suggest to put your post as one of the stickies!

I'll bring along ur post to replace the resistor soon! Thanks!!!
FYI: Don't buy the whole resistor with heat-sink attached $300.00 USD + just buy the resistor itself and use your existing heat-sink..$99.00 USD

·
Registered
1996 SL500
282 Posts
Real nice write-up... Wish I had it when I did mine... I'm not a fan of using the wire to fix the strap to the mount. I think a nut and bolt holding the strap makes for a more robust fix... Just my opinion. Again... Nice Job.

·
Registered
1994 SL320 (R129), 2002 S500 (W220), 2006 S550, 2012 Ducati 848Evo Corse SE
124 Posts
Hi Snowfan,

just read this thread again as I'm preparing to replace the resistor soon. I've bought a used blow resistor unit including the heat sink from junk yard but not sure if it works. If I buy the resistor part in separate, do I have to get it from Mercedes or I can buy it from some other stores, like Radio Shack?

This is important as it's a hell of work to remove and reinstall the unit....
Thanks.

·
Registered
1991 SL500
132 Posts
Thank you very much for posting this information. I just changed my blower resistor again and thanks to your photos it took me an hour and a half !

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
I, too thank you for the extreme dedication with photo's and notes. I have review multiple times. I used a "T"nut repair instead of wire, but your presentation is wonderful!
All the other items to clean, repair and lubricate were a good reminder, too. The wiper turtle shell issue and lubrication didn't work for my year but the insight started a worthy journey. Again thanks

·
Registered
1994 sl500 85000 miles and Great car!!!
12 Posts
thank you in advance

I was able to find this thread BEFORE I attempted to change the resistor in baby.. I get to go to the salvage yard for the practice first though :)

·
Registered
1998 SL500
71 Posts
Wow, these instructions were invaluable! I'm an enthusiastic novice, and was able to do this with no extra hands in about 3 hours.

A couple of notes for folks who, like me, needed to both repair the blower strap and replace the blower regulator:

1. Although it's probably apparent to everyone else, it took me a few minutes of head-scratching and poking around to realize that the grommet around the wires from the regulator to the connector near the fender (where he wires go through the plastic blower box) just pops out if you pull on the end inside the plastic bin.

2. Hopefully no one else buys the cheap resistor part from ebay (without heat sink, about $30) only to find that someone has previously replaced the regulator with a nonfactory (marked "NGK") item intended for a W140 (I assume, since that was the first three of the part number). The regulator resistor had no accessible screws, so I beat it off the heat sink with a hammer, unscrewed the little screws that were molded into the plastic, and drilled new holes for the resistor I had. Miraculously, that worked.

Anyway, thanks Ghada for the great writeup and photos. And thanks everyone for all the great info on these boards.

Adam

1 - 20 of 57 Posts