Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
66,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many days in jail will I be handed in if I showed up in a yarmuka?

Ga. Muslim jailed over head scarf
Ga. resident refused to remove hijab at court's security checkpoint
The Associated Press
updated 2:48 p.m. ET, Wed., Dec. 17, 2008

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. - A judge ordered a Muslim woman arrested Tuesday for contempt of court for refusing to take off her head scarf at a security checkpoint.

The judge ordered Lisa Valentine, 40, to serve 10 days in jail, said police in Douglasville, a city of about 20,000 people on Atlanta's west suburban outskirts.

Valentine violated a court policy that prohibits people from wearing any headgear in court, police said.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations urged federal authorities to investigate the incident as well as others in Georgia.

"I just felt stripped of my civil, my human rights," Valentine told The Associated Press on Wednesday from her home, after she said she was unexpectedly released once CAIR got involved. Jail officials declined to say why she was freed.

No comment from judge
Municipal Court Judge Keith Rollins said that "it would not be appropriate" for him to comment on the case.

Last year, a judge in Valdosta in southern Georgia barred a Muslim woman from entering a courtroom because she would not remove her head scarf. There have been similar cases in other states, including Michigan, where a Muslim woman in Detroit filed a federal lawsuit in February 2007 after a judge dismissed her small-claims court case when she refused to remove a head and face veil.

Valentine's husband, Omar Hall, said his wife was accompanying her nephew to a traffic citation hearing when officials stopped her at the metal detector and told her she would not be allowed in the courtroom with the head scarf, known as a hijab.

Hall said Valentine, an insurance underwriter, told the bailiff that she had been in courtrooms before with the scarf on and that removing it would be a religious violation. When she turned to leave and uttered an expletive, Hall said a bailiff handcuffed her and took her before the judge.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: Ga. Muslim jailed over head scarf - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

·
66,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, don't you talk to the bailiff nasty and shit, no didiii'nt (outside the courtroom mind you)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,261 Posts
Lisa Valentine huh? Doesn't sound like a Middle East born Muslim.

IMO, both Turkey's Kemal Atatürk, and his admirer Reza Pahlawi, who had wanted to declare Iran a Republic, and only accepted the role of King after the insistence of Iran's Mullahs, had it right.
The police / military in both Countries were under orders to remove the hijab of women, in an effort to abolish veiling.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Reza Pahlawi, who had wanted to declare Iran a Republic, and only accepted the role of King after the insistence of Iran's Mullahs...
Any links for this statement?

I know that bloody Shakh regime had like 60,000 people in prison.

However, after the Islamic Revolution Iran had a few millions.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
i think she has to remove the scarf. this is america after all not ksa or whatever. the arrest definitely seems like a 4th ammendment violation. the jailing is ridiculous though. the judge should be disbarred. that was a move of a sovereign and not a lawful judge.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Lisa Valentine huh? Doesn't sound like a Middle East born Muslim.

IMO, both Turkey's Kemal Atatürk, and his admirer Reza Pahlawi, who had wanted to declare Iran a Republic, and only accepted the role of King after the insistence of Iran's Mullahs, had it right.
The police / military in both Countries were under orders to remove the hijab of women, in an effort to abolish veiling.
I think hijab should be considered a matter of religious, if not even personal, freedom. I know a Tunisian who wears the hijab in Abu Dhabi but removes it once she goes to Tunisia on vacation, to avoid trouble. This is third world oppression, if you ask me.

·
39,261 Posts
Any links for this statement?

I know that bloody Shakh regime had like 60,000 people in prison.

However, after the Islamic Revolution Iran had a few millions.
Links to the 'Republic' statement are easy to Google.
In regard to the much increased prison population in the Islamo Klepto Republic, for most people in Countries like Iran, unfortunately the available choices range from very bad, to somewhat bad.
For Westerners with a black or white / good or evil world view, a not familiar concept.

·
39,261 Posts
I think hijab should be considered a matter of religious, if not even personal, freedom. I know a Tunisian who wears the hijab in Abu Dhabi but removes it once she goes to Tunisia on vacation, to avoid trouble. This is third world oppression, if you ask me.
In my travels I have seen all types of hijab, including the to possible blindness leading mesh in Afghanistan.
I have a hard time believing this not to be an abomination of the Qurans requirement of 'modest.'
And yes, I have read articles by Muslim women declaring the hijab not a symbol of suppression, but of liberation.

16 & 17 of the modern religion.com make pretty good reading
Women in Islam Versus Women in Christianity and Judaism - A comparative Study

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
contgempt of Court.

i think she has to remove the scarf. this is america after all not ksa or whatever. the arrest definitely seems like a 4th ammendment violation. the jailing is ridiculous though. the judge should be disbarred. that was a move of a sovereign and not a lawful judge.
You dont know what you are talking about . I worked for Judges for over 20 years.

It was contempt of Court.

And contempt of Court is anything a Judge thinks it is.

A mean ass look is enough.

Once a lawyer showed an expression of shock and surprise at something a Judge said, and the lawyer's jaw dropped. And the Judge, crusty old Jewish guy rumored to pack a .38 under his robes, thundered down from the bench: I WILL NOT HAVE MY RULINGS CHALLENGED BY THE FACIAL EXPRESSIONS OF COUNSEL!!!!!!

The moment was priceless. You had to be there. I was and I saw it. It took all I had not to laugh my azz off in that courtroom.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
You dont know what you are talking about . I worked for Judges for over 20 years.

Once a lawyer showed an expression of shock and surprise at something a Judge said, and the lawyer's jaw dropped. And the Judge, crusty old Jewish guy rumored to pack a .38 under his robes, thundered down from the bench: I WILL NOT HAVE MY RULINGS CHALLENGED BY THE FACIAL EXPRESSIONS OF COUNSEL!!!!!!

The moment was priceless. You had to be there. I was and I saw it. It took all I had not to laugh my azz off in that courtroom.
Good story,LOL :D

According to the Bible, The Judges ruled in the ancient Israel before the Kings rule was established.

I don't think back then anybody would dare to make FACIAL EXPRESSION after the King's ruling.

So why the Judge's ruling should be different? :D

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
In my travels I have seen all types of hijab, including the to possible blindness leading mesh in Afghanistan.
I have a hard time believing this not to be an abomination of the Qurans requirement of 'modest.'
And yes, I have read articles by Muslim women declaring the hijab not a symbol of suppression, but of liberation.

16 & 17 of the modern religion.com make pretty good reading
Women in Islam Versus Women in Christianity and Judaism - A comparative Study
Thanks a lot for the link. I only read 16 & 17 but I can say the writer speaks
my mind word for word, at least in the parts I read.

I understand the confusion hijab causes to Westeners because Muslims too
find some social aspects of other societies equally confusing.

Thanks again for the link.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Would anyone dare to ask a Saint lady or a Rabbi to take off thier head cover? It is not a matter of KSA or NYC, it is a matter of the personal's own believes.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts

yes, there are plenty of asshole judges. fuck them all.

Good story,LOL :D

According to the Bible, The Judges ruled in the ancient Israel before the Kings rule was established.

I don't think back then anybody would dare to make FACIAL EXPRESSION after the King's ruling.

So why the Judge's ruling should be different? :D
Would anyone dare to ask a Saint lady or a Rabbi to take off thier head cover? It is not a matter of KSA or NYC, it is a matter of the personal's own believes.

it's a matter of safety and not personal choice. and yes, if i was the door security i would ask a rabii or whomever to take their head dress off. i would make an exception for a sinkh though. happy? lol

1 - 20 of 65 Posts