Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 AMG G55
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh...

2008 G55 80k miles. Started having issues with the key a few months ago, not starting on the first twist or two. Then it would just not start.. thought it was the key batteries, replaced those, pulled and checked the car battery. But if the truck would sit for an hour or so, it would fire up. Started doing some research. Then it refused to start, and left me stranded. Towed it home, took it to the dealer hoping my aftermarket warranty would cover it.

Bullshit ensured and the dealer wanted $1,900 to replace the EIS. Pulled it, shipped it to Pressertech, paid $600, got it back. Installed it and it fired up perfectly.

Took out the truck. Got dinner, got gas.. and heading home, it just died and coasted to a stop. Radio shut off.

Cluster lit up with "Restraint System Visit Workshop SRS". I put it park, turned the key, dash would not unlight, put the key back in, tried to turn the key, it did nothing. Power locks would not work, nor would remote key.

Since I still my tools, I figured I'd unplug the battery and let it reset. Rest, but still won't start, I noticed the stereo when off was not lit and was flickering.

Towed the trash can home.

Noticed the passenger side running lights remained on... unplugged the battery so not to drain it.

It's freezing cold and raining and I can't get the trash can into the garage. So I'll have to wait to start checking fuses and any loose ground straps.

Suggestions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it.. You really 'Need Codes' on these modern trucks.

There are soooooo many CAN Interconnections of Modules... and a Fault in 1 can screw-up something completely unrelated.

Do you have a STAR system which you used to Re-Code the EIS?

Once you have this, post the results, and perhaps, we can help you Back-Track the Core Fault.

·
Registered
2007 AMG G55
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As much as I hate to admit it.. You really 'Need Codes' on these modern trucks.

There are soooooo many CAN Interconnections of Modules... and a Fault in 1 can screw-up something completely unrelated.

Do you have a STAR system which you used to Re-Code the EIS?

Once you have this, post the results, and perhaps, we can help you Back-Track the Core Fault.

No, do not have a dealer code reader (STAR), is their a substitute system I can buy? I do have an OBD2 code reader - however, without being able to activate the ignition system, I'm not sure it's going to be able to read codes.

What do you mean "Re-Code" the EIS? It was sent out with the keys to be repaired.

·
Registered
2007 AMG G55
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well tried to start checking fuses but it does not appear any are getting power. Standard OBD2 is unable to sync since I can't turn the ignition key.

Ordered a MBII scanner.

This is the display when I connect the battery now.

·
Registered
2007 AMG G55
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whelp... iCarsoft MBII arrived -

Plugged in it, menus powered up, selected the appropriate vehicle - ran auto scan - nothing.

Started to run manually scan -

I got this for every system "Fault in communication with vehicle ECU" followed with check that it's plugged in and that the vehicle is a supported platform.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts