Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..........there has been a lot of conversation on this forum about the Big G55 brakes. For whatever it is worth, I found out by changing my brake pads this week that the 2005 G55 brakes are the same as the stock regular (non AMG) ML and GL brakes. I gues Mercedes has banned those two cars from ever going off-road.

Ted

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Ted baldwin said:
..........there has been a lot of conversation on this forum about the Big G55 brakes. For whatever it is worth, I found out by changing my brake pads this week that the 2005 G55 brakes are the same as the stock regular (non AMG) ML and GL brakes. I gues Mercedes has banned those two cars from ever going off-road.

Ted
See, G55 can't off-road.:D Just kidding. All have huge brakes that cannot fit smaller rims...pavement queens!:D

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
spots350sl said:
kerr, as much as i love ya, i cant decode this one "Is this you? If so i hate twice now " :)
Better watch it - the hall monitor might call you out on this.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
mb230s said:
Better watch it - the hall monitor might call you out on this.
Are you still crying over this, mb230?? There is difference between being an ass and being polite...i guess that you have not figure which is which yet, huh?

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
should be a you in there.... guess my fingers didnt think it was important..

"Is this you? If so i hate you twice now " :)

·
Registered
2005 G55
22 Posts
Brakes

I am new to the site - but very familiar with the the G and Landrovers (driven landrovers every day for years - I also own a 99' G500)
I posted that I was working on the project months ago and I am still not close to finished with the truck. The brakes were the first step.
The G55 brakes can be changed but fabrication has to be done - It is by no means bolt on regardless of what the part numbers are.
Anyone who has ever offroaded (extensively) knows the importance of 16 inch wheels. They are very much a mandatory item, and there is no better way to protect the drivetrain and vehicle than with super swampers. They allow the truck to tackle obstacles at very low speed/throttle and with little need for the lockers.
The large brakes were one of the only design flaws with the 55's.
Take a look at the land rover with 18's and then with 16's.
feel free to tell me your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Ckedin,

How you going to post one shot of a G55 with swampers and not post more pictures and what all you done?

·
Registered
2005 G55
22 Posts
All I have is the pics I have taken with my phone - I'll take more with the digital camera.

The truck is stock except for the brakes / swampers / tint etc. - don't think it's something you haven't seen, except for the 55 emblem.

Kerr - - Here is another pic with the 18's I run - is there anything you would like to see in particular with the digital camera pics??

Don"t want to dissapoint - looks like a lot of good information on this site - would love to add to it. Everyone is on the right track with talking about the brakes - it was the first question I had before I placed the order - and was very dissapointed when I went to pick the truck up. It was clear the brakes were not going to accomodate 16's. My truck is a low number Grand Edition and there wasn't any info available or trucks to examine.

hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 G55
22 Posts
more pics for you

Kerr,
Didn't get an answer about what pics you wanted, so I'll post some more random ones. One pic is with the swampers, one pic is with the all terrains, and one pic is with the toyos. Also have factory set of 18's I run from time to time - mainly on long road trips for better mpg.
let me know

Attachments

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
thats awsome. I wanted those Hutchisen wheels but didnt see my self paying that for them...

·
Registered
2005 G55
22 Posts
Kerr said:
thats awsome. I wanted those Hutchisen wheels but didnt see my self paying that for them...
Not the smoothest transaction either - they told me they had the wheels manufactured and ready to ship - 3.5 months and about 100 emails later I finally received the wheels.. the price isn't too outrageous though - the new OEM 16's I wanted cost more!
Next step is removing running boards / raise exhaust etc..
Do the G's have any trouble with drivetrain vibration after susp. lifts? I know the landrovers do if you lift over a couple of inches.

·
Registered
1996 G320 LWB
126 Posts
I have OEM 16's on my 1996 G320, I'd be glad to trade you for one of those sets of AMG rims you have. Call me if you're interested 704-608-4436

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes G500 & 2005 BMW 745Li
117 Posts
What's the tire size of those on 18" rims? It looks alot bigger than my tires.
Does G55 have shorter springs compared to G500? The wheel gap looks much less than my G500.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ckedin said:
I have made the swap to G500 brakes on my 2005 G55k.
..........have you driven the car since you swapped to G500 brakes? are you sure you did not get brain damage. Some on the forum will know why I ask.

.........brakes and rims are swappable items on all cars. This is why there is a huge market of aftermarket rims and brakes. Why G500 owners don't know this is beyond me. At the height of the debate a few months ago, I briefly thought about doing G55 G500 brake swap just to show it can be done, but I decided not to do it because it seems so obvious that it is doable. Now you have saved us all the trouble, but don't expect saigonsmuggler to accept it. Congratulations on the swap.

Ted

1 - 20 of 47 Posts