Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500, Blue
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have advice for xenon conversion for 2000 G500. I have looked on various providers sites, and it seemes that alot of people are just offering ricer bulbs to put into the housing. I would like to get a legitimate upgrade for my main lights, but don't want those ugly ones that Brabus puts on (like the ones that the CL65 member had put on his 2005 G55K).
If anyone has advice for upgrading these lights I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
im working on something right now. a company in japan called HID express has a kit out for the G5, you can get it in hi or low or hi and low beam hids.

I have not bought a set for the G yet but i did pick up some for a ML320 for a friend, we should be instaling them this week. If they look good and are nice quality stuff i will buy a set for the G.

So if you want to wait a week or so on us to install them on a ml and report back thats fine, if not its like $550 for www.hidexpress.com

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,984 Posts
Kerr - 3/21/2005 6:41 AM

im working on something right now. a company in japan called HID express has a kit out for the G5, you can get it in hi or low or hi and low beam hids.

I have not bought a set for the G yet but i did pick up some for a ML320 for a friend, we should be instaling them this week. If they look good and are nice quality stuff i will buy a set for the G.

So if you want to wait a week or so on us to install them on a ml and report back thats fine, if not its like $550 for www.hidexpress.com
Have you taken a look at the products from HID-Online? They seem to have put some quality engineering put into the hi/lo switching required for the H4 style bulb mount. http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/applications/car_kit_H4_4100k.htm ~ $580 last I looked.

·
Registered
cl65 amg
196 Posts
ermmm i tried HID lights ( please dont do it ) i tried it it doesnt work period. i put it on and the high beams dont work and it got crazy!! i got a ticket for it coz its shining so high up you cant adjust it its wrong.. dont i advice not to i tried it and only could come up with those headlights that actually come up with a full bi xenon kit!

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,984 Posts
cl65blackdemon - 3/21/2005 12:10 PM

ermmm i tried HID lights ( please dont do it ) i tried it it doesnt work period. i put it on and the high beams dont work and it got crazy!! i got a ticket for it coz its shining so high up you cant adjust it its wrong.. dont i advice not to i tried it and only could come up with those headlights that actually come up with a full bi xenon kit!
I can understand your frustration. There are quality kits that support high and low beam function. These operate by moving the HID bulb between the two foci, one for high beam and one (chielded) for low beam. They cost significantly more. There are also some systems that try to move a shield in and out of the light path. That just can't work well. Take a close look at internals of an H4 bulb and it will make sense.

·
Registered
02 Acura TL Type S & 98 Honda Accord EX-L
2 Posts
My brother in law's got a 2002 G500 and I just got this Onex xenon kit that uses some relay along with the normal ballasts that come with the kit. My question is how to get to the light bulbs themselves and what color code are the low beam and ground? I've grown up around Japanese cars and I just want to be sure I don't mess anything up on the bro in law's ride.... TIA

·
Registered
02 Acura TL Type S & 98 Honda Accord EX-L
2 Posts
Just an update, I installed them the other night and right from the get go, they've already started causing problems. I've installed 5 of these plug n play kits and NEVER EVER had a problem until installing them in his car. The bulbs turn on/off whenever they want, no matter what position the switch is in. They act like they've got a mind of their own. I was told to try changing the setting of constant headlights to manual (which he did) and today he pulled into my work with ONE light out, but while there that same bulb turned on. I'm like WTF?!?!

Anyway, I'll be switching the ENTIRE kit for a brand new one and see what happens.

If any of you have thoughts on this, please chime in...we need these lights working correctly...TIA

·
Registered
54 Posts
Xenon

Does anyone have advice for xenon conversion for 2000 G500. I have looked on various providers sites, and it seemes that alot of people are just offering ricer bulbs to put into the housing. I would like to get a legitimate upgrade for my main lights, but don't want those ugly ones that Brabus puts on (like the ones that the CL65 member had put on his 2005 G55K).
If anyone has advice for upgrading these lights I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lumiox,
Check this website www2.gelandewagen.ru . Some awsome stuff there.Only problem its in russia!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I´ve thought about doing this, I did it on a carrera I owned...

Instead of installing xenons I put new bulbs that project a very white light,
which is very much like xenons. A lot more than I expected..

·
Registered
11 Posts
WOW! I put this same thread up about two years ago regarding my 2005 G500! LOL. Didn't get this much attention though.

Anyway, guess what...my headlights are still f****d up to this day. They turn on and off when they want. I also put HIDs (yellow) in the fogs and those TOTALLY screw up the electronics of the car when they're on. I can turn on all four HID lamps when the car is off but after a while, if I leave the fog HIDs on, the car stereo goes haywire, only to stop when I shut the fogs off. On top of that, the headlights flicker on and off slowly sometimes. This was more of a pain than expected. Should have left them stock.

I've taken the G to several places and NONE of them were able to fix the problem. I've done a load of reading and research (none lately) on the subject, and it has something to do with the relays. A buddy of mine actually found a fix for the problem awhile back but I haven't had the chance to make the fix...or should I say TRY the fix. I've found a couple of different 'fixes', thus far none have worked and it's digging the G500 HID money pit deeper each time.

If someone finds a PROPER way to correct the problem, PLEASE POST.

THANKS!

PS- They do look GREAT (when they work)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,

Anyone interested in trying this as a fix;

CANBUS Fix

It comes in the appropriate fitment size of H4. I'm fairly sure H4 is the correct size. Check your manual for confirmation.

Let me know if it works out!!

·
Registered
2005 G55 Designo
5 Posts
Hey Guys,

Don't flog me... but I'm kinda new to the Benz World.

I have a 2004 G55 w/ the dual Bi-Xenon headlamp conversion. The right low just went out.... As I read on this thread, sometime the lamps go in and out when they feel like it; I never experienced this before. How can I find out if the bulb is actually out or is it the same problem everyone is having with the conversions.

If the bulb needs to be replaced; how can I find out what is the correct bulb to buy.

Thank you for all your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts