Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW X5 / 07' 55k coming
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems we still have some time to get a G500 from the dealer network. A special edition / limited version will be seen, as in keeping with final out going product. The final cars will still be 05's, not an O6'. Some exterior tweaks will be done and that is it for the G. Any updated info I have will be posted asap.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
you are right the G500 will still be on sale in 2006 but all of them will have been produced in 2005. A MY 2006 will not be offered. A pure technicality. MB would have to jump through some very costly and complicated government hoops to certify a MY 2006.

Lets just hope that MBUSA does not pick another tacky makeover like the first G55 for its "Grand Edition". But it does not look good. I picked up bits and pieces of what they want for the Grand Edition - not very tasteful. Let MBUSA know what you think. Even though frustrating to shout at this deaf ear of DC they might eventually implement what buyers want and not what some New Yersey desk jockey thinks a G should look like.

By the way, keep those e-mails and letters rolling to the bosses in Stuttgart. They are indeed listening to our input and the G might not be as dead as you think - there is some hope.

Especially give the new boss of Mercedes Car Group, Dr. Eckhard Cordes, a few strong words of encouragement and let him know about what you think the future of the G should be. Not all is lost.

Input from this forum has pretty much killed the Alabama wannabe G. Even though press articles might suggest otherwise - the M-Class based G is not going to happen.

Harald

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
4x4abc - 4/7/2005 2:43 PM

Input from this forum has pretty much killed the Alabama wannabe G. Even though press articles might suggest otherwise - the M-Class based G is not going to happen.

Harald
Thank God... Maybe we should compile a list of email addresses for specific Mercedes execs that we can voice our opinions to. That way it would be quite simple to click on and type several emails in one sitting.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Mike G. - 4/7/2005 2:55 PM

Harald
Thank God... Maybe we should compile a list of email addresses for specific Mercedes execs that we can voice our opinions to. That way it would be quite simple to click on and type several emails in one sitting.
Harald already did this many months back. I'll try and look for it and get it back at the top.

4x4abc - 11/30/2004 9:57 PM

In that order of priority:

1. the boss
Head of Board of Management
Prof. Jürgen E. Schrempp
[email protected]

2. MCG (Mercedes Car Group)
Head of Mercedes Car Group
Dr. Eckhard Cordes
[email protected]

3. Corporate Communications
Head of Corporate Communications
Hartmut Schick
[email protected]

4. US operations
CHRYSLER GROUP
Head of Chrysler Group
Dr. Dieter Zetsche
[email protected]; [email protected]

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
make sure you write individual letter/mails - copied content ha a negative effect.

Sit down and voice your opinion - don't forget to mail it. Please be civil!

The MB car group is suffering. Loyal owners might help to find a healthy/healing path for the future.

Harald

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
This link was from a post by thegriffon:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spyshots-2005/M/mercedes/gwagen.html

As I said then, and I say again. I hope it is a G65 .... [:p]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts

Harald
I didn't mean to kill it; it's just that I could not believe that Mercedes wanted us to accept this model as the next generation G.

It's hideous and very undesirable! The W463 or W461 is what is desirable to me because it's a Mercedes and because of it's rugged simplicity. [;)] It's a timeless vehicle that will probably remain a cult classic...much like the Defender 90/110.

And if MB follows up with axing our beloved G, I'm going to work with a Registered Importer to bring in a fleet of Defender 90/110 station wagons. With the 2.5TD engine mated to a five speed manual, it gets a whopping 36 mpg!

By the way, the email for schrempp is [email protected]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
BrentG500 - 4/7/2005 6:52 PM

I didn't mean to kill it; it's just that I could not believe that Mercedes wanted us to accept this model as the next generation G.
You did it single handedly all by yourself?!?? Wow!![:0]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
DUTCH - 4/7/2005 7:09 PM

You did it single handedly all by yourself?!?? Wow!![:0]
Yes, Dutch, it was a tough fight - in the end I won: man over machine.

Actually, we all took multiple stabs piece by piece (or should I say post by post). For whatever share I had in it(however small), I'm sorry. But you have to admit, that thing is really hideous!

It kind of reminds me of the whole Coca-Cola "Classic" marketing scheme that went on in 1985. Coke decided they were going to change their formula (much like Mercedes decided they want to change their G), but up rose the masses and complainted like no one has ever seen (much like we are complaining), then Coca-Cola reintroduced the original flavor (just like we're hoping MB will- with the G, that is) and to this day, the flavor is dubbed "Classic" and hasn't changed (much like we hope Mercedes does with our G).

There's a lesson to be learned here for Mercedes-Benz! [:D]

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Well, lets be realistic - even if the G's life is extended, it won't live much longer. Design limits, government, etc etc. However, a new generation G (tough, durable, truly capable, low geared, safe, with ESP provisions to add larger tires) could be a moneymaker if designed and marketed right. Lets ask for it and we might see it.

In terms of marketing and sales the G has been a lineup of failures and disasters. Ignored, hated and even despised by most Stuttgart MB leaders, and kept off the market for 15 years by MBUSA, the G only survived (and even made money - unlike the touted Smart) due to a handful of inhouse enthusiast unwilling to call it quits. Some of the "fighters" are already retired - others will be soon. So, we don't have much support at DC anymore to keep the heritage of the G alive.

Keep pressuring your MB dealers as well, they are deperate to make money. At a recent presentation for US dealers in Graz they were surprised that MagnaSteyr was actually building more than a lwb G500. Convertibles? SWB? Diesels? Military? Worker version?? Why did nobody tell us? We want to sell them! What, the G has been built since 1979? Why did nobody tell us? We could have made millions in the US!

There must have been some nasty phone calls to MBUSA after the Graz presentation. Hastily a G400CDI was brought to the US to test responses. But like much in the history of the G - too little, too late. The 400CDI engine is at the end of its cycle and the G almost off the market anyway. Needless to mention that MBUSA did no import the G400CDI properly and now it can't even be test driven. Someone should write a book about how to get a job at MBUSA, be incompetent yet fashionable, get a cool salary and a coveted company car.

By the way, Jeep is making millions by cashing in on its off-road competence by offering a primitive but capable (lockers and low gears) Rubicon and Rubicon Unlimited. Mercedes on the other hand is willing to slaughter a similar cash cow.

Harald

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
So, what the hell is so difficult about applying the time honored tradition at DBAG of evolutionary design work. Building a "new" G in an evolutionary way, using more light-weight materials for body panels, the solid mechanicals of current and other DB truck divisions, and the great 270 diesel for economy and durability, which could extend this vehicle for years to come. It would be a great hit. No frills, solid and lovable vehicle. A true alternative to the suppository shaped ML. I would buy one tomorrow. The idea that the M based G we have been seeing could have military capability (as suggested in the articles) is laughable. Take a look at the hubs of the wheels and you can see that the body hangs significantly below the center of the wheel. I bet they intend to use a complicated air bag system to lift the body when used off road.

A collegue of mine just bought the big 350 Ford "King Ranch" diesel with four doors, custom canopy, and a huge fuel consumption rate. Upon seeing my 1980 G diesel he said that was what he would like to have bought, but no one makes that type of vehicle in the US - that is, solid, functional, capable of working hard without doing damage to itself in the process, diesel.

Regarding the Ford, "I can not find parking for this truck, and my wife will not drive it, and when I drive it in town the noise is so loud people stare at me. A four door G in a diesel would be perfect." He did not pay full price for his Ford, but with tax and extras, the price was still over $55,000. Surely DCAG could come up with something near that price that represents an "evolved" Gwagen to satisfy the requirements of passenger safety, economy, pedestrian safety, enviornmental issues, manufactionering methods, and profitability. Lots of us are aching to have our favorite brand (the three pointed star) come through with a vehicle that blends some G retro without glitz, function without smoke and mirrors, bells and whistles. DCAG presently has several flavors of sports cars and an assortment of odd looking sedans. So, if this the corporate mindset, why not make a few of us happy with a odd but enjoyable vehicle that offers a sense of evolved consideration with true capability?

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
I just spoke to a dealer today. He said that several dealerships are apparently angry at Mercedes-Benz for the limited supply of G500's that they received since it's US introduction and that they were kept in the dark regarding the other variations of the G (Cabrio, SWB, Military, Worker). He said Mercedes' decision not to import the Worker, cabrio and SWB cost them millions of dollars.

My dealer also said that the chances of now receiving a stripped down version of the G in the USA would be slim to none because Mercedes-Benz doesn't want to be seen as "that kind" of a brand. However, he said, if there is substantial demand for the product in the USA, Mercedes might think twice about being "that kind" of a brand. He said that if the dealers could sell it in the USA, nothing would stop them.

He laughed when I told him to put me down for five Worker models. [:D]

On another note, I received this in my email:
Return Receipt: your gedruckt document: please don't end production of the G500 was received by Claire Whitehouse/417/DCAG/DCX at 08/04/2005. Also, my email to Schrempp has been delayed.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
BrentG500 - 4/8/2005 1:22 PM

My dealer also said that the chances of now receiving a stripped down version of the G in the USA would be slim to none because Mercedes-Benz doesn't want to be seen as "that kind" of a brand.
Mercedes-Benz USA doesn't want it. There's a difference.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Whining dealers...

the dealers may have been kept in the dark as far as not being told about the other models, but it still shows there overall lack of interest at least in the G if not all their models (meaning to them it's just a business selling anything people will buy) if they never spent 5 minutes on the internet looking up the vehicle out of interest or curiousity to stumble upon the common fact that there are a zillion versions of the truck. A quick google search will at uncover that fact.

I wonder if their not additionally using this as an excuse for generally poor sales. The US market probably would have responded well to a fancy power top cabriolet but i think the dealers show their lack of interest in their vehicle if they've never looked it up while knowing it has a 25 year history.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Brent,

"limited supply of G500's"? Politics!
The order numbers (by MBUSA to the factory) were intentionally kept low on a yearly basis to be able to show an increase the next year. Managers need to show success in numbers. The dealers were told they could not get more. Who cares about the buyers?

Wherever you look in this saga - it is MBUSA screwing up big time.

In addition to order numbers driven by politics - MBUSA reduced order numbers whenever they spotted a few unsold G on dealer lots. Acting like novice stock holders. Whenever demand increased they tried to get more from Graz. And of course they could not get them quickly because a hand built car is not to be had ASAP. Unhappy buyers grabbed some other fancy toy instead.

But manipulated G sales have tradition. Dave Holland (former owner of Europa intl.) could have sold at least 10,000 G over the years, instead he sold a couple of hundred, refusing to wholesale the G to many many other interested dealers. Stuttgart and dealers were begging him on their knees. He refused, kept prices astronomically inflated and got rich. Who cares about the buyers?

Harald

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Dave Holland & Europa International

4x4abc - 4/8/2005 5:10 PM

But manipulated G sales have tradition. Dave Holland (former owner of Europa intl.) could have sold at least 10,000 G over the years, instead he sold a couple of hundred, refusing to wholesale the G to many many other interested dealers. Stuttgart and dealers were begging him on their knees. He refused, kept prices astronomically inflated and got rich.
And now, even though Dave is no longer an owner of Europa International, the initial word back from his minions regarding the M112/M113 Harmonic Balancer Recall is: "Not our responsibility."

I suggested that they might want to research their answer a little further. As you said: "Who cares about the buyers?"

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
I just don't see demand being high in the USA. The dealer that sold my G could not get rid of them! 3 G's just sat on the lot over months. For 98.9% of people out there, a Lexus LX470 or Range Rover is a more attractive choice than our G for mall shopping.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 4/8/2005 6:18 PM

I just don't see demand being high in the USA. The dealer that sold my G could not get rid of them! 3 G's just sat on the lot over months. For 98.9% of people out there, a Lexus LX470 or Range Rover is a more attractive choice than our G for mall shopping.
And that's where the rubber meets the bottom line!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts