Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'94 FJ80
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a g500 to replace an aging '94 FJ80 and have a few questions before I take the plunge. I apologize if these threads have been previously discusses. A brief answer or point to a link is all I need. Thanks.

Who are good sources for aftermarket products. As soon as I get a truck I would like: snorkle, bull bar F&R, sliders, tires and lift.

How high can you go without screwing up suspension geometery too much. Is a castor kit available.

Will 33" tires fit without rubbing at full lock.

What gears are available and are the axles full-float.

Is a long range fuel cell available. Or, an additional sub-tank.

MB says they don't have a service manual? Is that really true. How do you service the vehicle without one.

Mark

·
Registered
2000 G500L, 1968 SWISS Mog
246 Posts
markeverett - 1/28/2005 11:13 AM

I am considering a g500 to replace an aging '94 FJ80 and have a few questions before I take the plunge. I apologize if these threads have been previously discusses. A brief answer or point to a link is all I need. Thanks.

Who are good sources for aftermarket products. As soon as I get a truck I would like: snorkle, bull bar F&R, sliders, tires and lift.

How high can you go without screwing up suspension geometery too much. Is a castor kit available.

Will 33" tires fit without rubbing at full lock.

What gears are available and are the axles full-float.

Is a long range fuel cell available. Or, an additional sub-tank.

Mark
Mark
I used to own FJ80 in Japan. I had diesel engine and loved it!!

To answer your question, good soruce for parts is www.orc.de
You can find snorkel, bumpers, and springs.

Tires...
You can't find 15 inch rim for G500. You need to find 16 inch rim with offset of 43mm and 7inch width.
That's my setup. I have 285/75-16 and have no rubbing at all. You can also find 16 inch MB rims. Those have 63mm offset and 7.5 inch width.
285 tires will fit without any lift. I currently have 4cm lift up spring but don't really needed the lift for most of the offroading that I do. Search for my post. I've posted offroading pictures before.

There are many discussion on lift and safety. Search for the post using key words.

Hope you can find good G and looking forward to seeing you here in this great forum!!

Yasu

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,345 Posts
Mark,

orc.de and extrem-motorsport.de have the best selection of aftermarket parts.

33" tires will fit without rubbing - however a mild body lift is recommended.

4.11, 4.375, 4.857, 5.286 gears are avaialble (original MB) - all axles are semi floating (strong enough for even the harshest military duty)

Service and workshop manuals are, though somewhat limited, available: http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/available.html

Harald

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
i have 32. 10.80 tires 275-65-18's and they rub at full flex on the rear.

I think your out on a snorkel, the G use twin intake systems which would look very strange with twin snorkels.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
I will highly recommend a search for all of your questions. You can probably spend a couple hour or two reading.

·
Registered
G500 if ican find 1!
28 Posts
actually I do have question about ORC! has anyone tried the twin shock setup? also they do have twin snorkel setup though rather expensive. It seems to have all the things I was looking for and then some. Another question do the G500 have the sway bars? even if yes twin shock with 1 to 2 inch spring should give rather nice handling vehicle with 33. I had something simmilar on my Defender90 and was extremely happy with on and offroad performance. Also if some one has ORC brush bars with winch set up how is the approach angle compared to ARB I know some of you have installed. Between GK'SafariGard and ORC I think I found my setup! will appreciate any user feed back!

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
twin shocks

what are the practical benefits of a twin shock setup? Fundamentally i can't imagine any other than the value of redundancy if one fails... but there are always practical reasons for everything.

If you ever get the snorkels and end up actually needing them (since most people fear other electronic failures before the stock intakes ever see water) we'd love to see some pictures and details. That'd be pretty cool.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,209 Posts
4x4abc - 1/26/2005 11:28 PM

4.11, 4.375, 4.857, 5.286 gears are avaialble (original MB) - all axles are semi floating (strong enough for even the harshest military duty)
Harald
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is floating?

Chuck

·
Registered
G500 if ican find 1!
28 Posts
RE: twin shocks

hey Ewal on my defender90 I had twin shock setup its particularly useful when you run lifts with out the swaybar in mycase. Particularly in corners it does give you that added advantage. Also by running twin setup I was able to run softer and longer progressive shocks which I prefered over heavy duty OME's. It just was more surefooted another advantage is if you like to play in the sand I definetly would recommend it.

As to snorkel it really is relatively cheap insurance. As to electronics you do need to water proof your engine, in Defenders case I had everything sealed it only takes small amount of water to get hydrolocked and its lot of money irregardless what you drive. I had snorkels on everything I drive that I take offroad including the 4runner, and fj80. In 4runners case you need to install diffrential breather even. I do like to fly fish and its hard to tell sometimes what the stream levels are even if you faced the same stream before. I also like to install manual fan switch so when fording a stream you dont spray waters in to your engine compartment, but whatever you do snorkel or not dont stop in the water. One good news is that ones I saw from ORC(twin snorkels) looked good. But I'm sure Gwagen is much better then Defender as to the moisture sealing, on the 4runner and fj-80 I didnt do any other sealing under the hood and I had waters up to my windshield and never had any electrical problems[:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,345 Posts
Chuck,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=full+floating+axles&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=semi+floating+axles&btnG=Search

Harald

·
Registered
'94 FJ80
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses, it's been very helpful. Two additional questions: what are the major differences (if any) between the 2002-2005 US models and is a third row seat available.

Mark S.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
I think these are the differences -

2003 -
different headliner
heated steering wheel
optional HK sound
optional Parktronic
lumbar seat
blinkers on mirror vs. fender

2004 -
Partronic now standard
Designo interiors available

2005 -
side curtain airbags
shoulder belt in rear middle seat
optional Sirius
new phones available
eliminated free maintenance

The BIG difference is price and repairs. Sometime in 2003 they fixed the computer. 02s had some issues. They have also updated the window mechanism. You should be able to get these updates done under warranty on a 02. I got the brain transplant, I'm trying to get the window update this week (crossing my fingers).

A 02 can be found for under $50K, a 05 will be $25K more.

I'm sure others will chime in, I think my list is close to accurate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts