Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 G500 with only 31K miles needs rotors and pads. That sounds a bit premature? Is this commonplace? Is it the significant weight of this beast that wears out the brakes?

·
Registered
72 Posts
It depends on what type of pad you are using, I use a soft pad and replace them every 30k, But I'm still on the same rotors. I know this sounds dumb but do you think that because of the placement of the peddles, you don't know it but your ridding the peddle? I know sometime I catch my self on both peddles in mine!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the original mb pads. Are they known to be hard? I don't think I'm riding the brake. Are the accelerator and brake pedals considered to be too close together?

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Yes, I think all MB pads are hard, not to my liking. I have size 12 shoes, so all peddles are somewhat to close for me.
I wear size 13 shoes and never have a problem hitting the brake pedal while on the accelerator. For one thing, the pedals are not on the same plane. I have to lift off and back from the accelerator to get on the brake.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hmmm, I am coming up on the better part of 50,000 km and have not had any issues with the brakes - no pad replacements. Had some squeeking when they got a bit dusty on dry dirt roads but thats about it. I had not heard of a brake eating problem; maybe you are one of those excessive brakers that annoy the heck out of everbody on the road?? ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No excessive braking here. The car has mostly highway miles but the first owner put 11K miles. He may have been a chronic braker. Who knows.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you know that you need new brake pads and rotors?
I noticed that the rotors have a lot of wear based on the significant ridge on the edge. While braking the pedal pulsates as if the rotors are warped. But the final determination was made by the dealer the other day when I took it for a service A and they noticed that it needs both pads and rotors.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, pedal pulsates. I have just done with my rotors and pads at about 90k km of use not for pads or rotors thickness but one of them was distorted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts