Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
W463, Unimog U1300L, W460
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Need help.
Not long ago I had to replace the center drive shaft rubber boot as it was torn. Unfortunately I didn't give it a serious attention and just replaced the rubber and installed the shaft. But later found out that it has to be balanced. Its obvious that the balance is lost.

Pls advice me how to balance it by my own with minimum trouble.

The truck is 2001 G500.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
Question1: Was there any looseness in either joint? If so it can't be balanced.

Question2: Did you use the provided crimp on clamps? As far as I can tell they are low enough profile to not affect the balance. I found no balancing weights of marks on mine and it stayed in balance after the rebuild.

·
Registered
W463, Unimog U1300L, W460
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank u for your respond Alan. There was a slight looseness at one end where the rubber was torn. I used the provided crimp. There were marks on the shaft but I couldn't find any marks on the truck side. Or was it supposed to match those marks on the shaft itself?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
As far as I can tell they are machined symmetrical enough that balance isn't an issue. Any looseness is an indication of a problem though. The play comes in the form of divots in the bearing surface. These cause a slight catch in the rotation and ruin the dynamic balance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Help! G500 center Drive shaft replacement !

hello G family,
I have recently confirmed I need to replace my center drive shaft (one from transmission to transfer case)
My question is, is this something everyone sticks to OEM Driveshaft replacement? Ive seen the only other option is a “ Dorman “ OE solutions Driveshaft. Which is widely available. If anyone has experience with these products please help me decide which is the better option. Dorman seems to be a bit less expensive but also gives you the option of replacing the U joints later if needed. As the OEM MB driveshaft, does not have that option and if any damage is done you will have to replace it entirely again.
Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks W463 G Family!

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
Link to this Dorman part?
The OEM part has dropped in price over the years. In any case, the ends are CVs and not U-joints. You can get just the CVs, which is what I did. It saved a bit at the time, but having a pre-made shaft is pretty nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve found several links from autohausaz.com , eBay has a few sellers as well as autozone selling it, and a few more on google. All claiming to provide a lifetime warranty replacement. And many more online. So, very easily available I’m just having trouble finding someone who has reviewed the product or experienced it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for the information Alan, I think I’m going to take that route. Just need to confirm which center drive shaft is for 2002 G500 model. Do you by any chance know what the correct torque spec is to torque down the bolts for the driveshaft? For When I install the new one with the new bolts.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
PM me your email address and I'll send you the VG150 manual. It shows 35NM for the bolts, but the manual was written back when the W463 used a standard U-jointed center shaft. I'm pretty sure that is the torque that I used. At first it was just held on with 3 bolts on each end since I had to cut a few bolts off. Didn't have problem during that time, but wasn't exactly drag-racing either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you again! Unfortunately I just heard back from Eurotruck and they are out of stock for the 2002 G500 driveshaft, with no word on when the stock will be back up... now I’m stuck again to which route I will take, oem driveshaft from mercedes is $1200, ‘ Dorman OE ‘ driveshaft is about $1100 (with no reviews or experience from fellow g owners ?) .. these are the only options I’ve found for a new driveshaft replacement. Any input is appreciated on what you guys would do ?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
You have the correct shaft. Buy new CV ends from Eurotruck. If you aren't confident about swapping the parts, give it to a local machine shop. They'll do it for far less than the extra $700 that the complete shaft costs.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
I didn't and the shaft is smooth. All of the weight is in the CVs at the ends. They are finely machined parts and I'm sure correctly centered. There was nothing on my old shaft that looked light weights (or trimming). The boot clamps are very low profile, presumably to not throw off the inherently balanced design.
The only real challenge was removing the spring clip that holds the CV on. You will also need some large side nippers to crimp the boot clamps.

·
Registered
2002 MB G400CDI-1992 MB 300E-24- 2005 Mini Cooper S
358 Posts
PM me your email address and I'll send you the VG150 manual. It shows 35NM for the bolts, but the manual was written back when the W463 used a standard U-jointed center shaft. I'm pretty sure that is the torque that I used. At first it was just held on with 3 bolts on each end since I had to cut a few bolts off. Didn't have problem during that time, but wasn't exactly drag-racing either.
Hey Alan,

The manual is for the TC? Can you pls send it also to me via email? I think that I have an excessive play somewhere in the input of the tc from shaft side and I want to narrow it down (somehow)

I'll pm u my dets.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone done a spring spacer lift install / DIY ? Got my new shocks and spring spacers in, looking to do install myself, any any input / help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
Relatively easy. Just to one corner at a time. Remove the old shock, lower the axle end while keeping a sharp eye on the brake line. Much easier if you can find a sturdy enough spring clamp to keep the spring compressed.

·
Registered
2007 S600, 2011 GL550, 1989 560SEC, 2003 G500
57 Posts
So also I just bought a brand new center drive shaft, best as I can see there are no "line up" or balance marks on the drive shaft, my question is - Do I need to be concerned with balance issues or lining up anything to the transmission or TC when I go to install? Hope to replace it this weekend so any input is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
Put it in any way that you like. That is the way the old one was installed in the factory. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and tighten the bolts in a cross wise pattern.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts