149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have new fault on my 2002 G400 CDI-
for the last 2 days on cold start (I also have the tensioner problem yet),
I start the engine, run fine for 2 seconds and stop,
then when I try to start again I have long cranking with no start
and the instrument panel display red alert :
"visit workshop - transfer case - high low".

the third trial for start is successful and the malfunction is gone.

do you know this issue?

Thx

PS
I cant find a way to read coolant temperature, am I missing something or there is no way but waring light?

·
Registered
G270cdi 2004
130 Posts
Fuel suply. You probably have problem that fuel return to reservoir. That happens if the fuel lines conectors (o-rings) are bad. Critical point is on the high preassure pump line conectors. My expiriance.

·
Registered
2002 LWB LHD G400 CDI
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alburnus,
thx for your reply.
I have the car for about a week so tomorrow I will change fuel filter first.

can you please elaborate on the fuel lines connectors?
do you mean the connectors that under the fuel tank?
how can I fix it? replace the o-rings or the connectors?

thx

·
Registered
G270cdi 2004
130 Posts
Yes, you have to change fuel filter first. You can see fuel lines that lead from filter to the pump. That lines are on the higher position then the fuel tank and if lines somewhere opened it will allow fuel to return to the tank during the night. I found bad o-ring just on the pump and it was obviously how fast fuel go back because the line is transparent. later I replaced all 4 o-rings on the pump. If you have similar problem parts are cheap and common on every MB CDI engines.

·
Registered
G270cdi 2004
130 Posts
Sorry, It was last year. I sead high pressure pump but that was a low pressure pump fuel intake. Small pump placed near by high pressure pump if 400cdi has something like that.

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
Hi,

I have new fault on my 2002 G400 CDI-
for the last 2 days on cold start (I also have the tensioner problem yet),
I start the engine, run fine for 2 seconds and stop,
then when I try to start again I have long cranking with no start
and the instrument panel display red alert :
"visit workshop - transfer case - high low".

the third trial for start is successful and the malfunction is gone.

do you know this issue?

Thx

PS
I cant find a way to read coolant temperature, am I missing something or there is no way but waring light?
You can read the coolant temperature on the Instrument Cluster. Switch the context through radio, tel, trip computer, etc until it reads the cars' mileage. Then press up or down arrow and it will display coolant temp, service interval, and oil level.

The error with TC in low high is either caused by a bad shifting motor on the TC either by a (semi) discharged battery.

·
Registered
2002 LWB LHD G400 CDI
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi
waited few days to make sure to problem solved.

I went to change the fuel filter and order a new one,
when taking the filter out I noticed that the 90-degree rubber hose from the filter output to the plastic hose is a bit dry.

replaced the rubber host (about 7cm long) and the filter - problem solved :)

Thx all

·
Registered
24 Posts
well i hope you really solved your problem, but I'm sure that in one morning its back, you will try to start your car and ten times it will work only for 2-3 seconds, then it starts. the real problem is not in fuel suply its faulty Engine Control Unit. And the solution is ti change it with new one.

·
Registered
2002 LWB LHD G400 CDI
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow
I am new to MB but to replace an ECU sound like something out of the scope..
the problem I had solved after replacing the rubber fuel line.
(maybe the sensor inside the old line was faulty ;) )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i have a w220 mercedes s400cdi,problem is when i try to start,the fan in the radiator fan starts for full speed and nothing more happens..and the engine starter do nothing.it is new ignition lock and engine starter.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,027 Posts
Hi i have a w220 mercedes s400cdi,problem is when i try to start,the fan in the radiator fan starts for full speed and nothing more happens..and the engine starter do nothing.it is new ignition lock and engine starter.
You need to have the codes read with a diagnostic computer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts