Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is there anyone on this forum who happens to own (or has owned) an Infiniti G35 coupe and an SL? I currently own a G35 coupe and am considering getting either an SL500 or SL55, but I have questions regarding acceleration and ride comfort as compared to my G35, and would like some insights from someone who has first-hand knowledge of both cars. It would be nice if I could go to my local MB dealership and test drive both SL's, but they only get SL55's in when they have been special ordered, and while they do currently have an SL500 in stock, it is on the showroom floor and not available for test drives. The next closest MB dealership is 2 hrs away and the same situation exists there, so until I get the chance to go down to CA and actually test drive these cars, I am having to rely on others to give me their driving impressions.

Regarding acceleration - my G35 has 280 HP and 270 ft-lbs torque and weighs 3435 lbs. An SL500 has 22 more HP and 69 ft-lbs more torque, but also weighs 630 lbs more. I want my next car to have at least as good acceleration as my G35, and preferably more. It seems to me the added weight of the SL500 would certainly eat up its extra 20 HP and possibly its extra torque, and leave me with a car that is not as fast as the G35. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regarding suspension - I want to make sure that my next car has a softer ride than my G35, which is rather harsh. From everythig I have read, the SL500 certainly sounds like it has a smoother ride than my G35, but does the SL55, with its sportier suspension, also have a smoother ride? I would prefer the SL55 to the SL500, but if its suspension is as firm as my G35's, then I would have to seriously consider the SL500 instead. I want a suspension that absorbs more of the vibrations and bumps from the road and doesn't transmit them into the cabin as much.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer,
Prolix

·
Registered
e55k,
252 Posts
these guys are right the 600 all the way. My dad has one and it screams and is way faster than my e55, but rides a little better. cost is up there though another 15k more than the 55.....big jump from an infiniti g35! good luck
ps by the way cxt, I love that color combo on your sl55! I have the same combo on my bmw Z8.

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
The 600 costs 15k more than the 55? Here in the UK the 55 is £97,240 and the 600 is only £100,260...

By the way, thanks jimand7. It always had to be that color combo!

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
I am not sure where he got the info but mbusa states that SL600 is only $6K USD more than SL55. The only thing I would miss from the SL55 is the quad exhausts, other than that, SL600 all the way! (comparing to SL55)

·
Registered
cl65 amg
196 Posts
sl600 are alright =) if you want more power let me know !!! 625 horse 740 torque =0) chip it! and transmission and you have an M mode to ! haha if ya wanna match up the 65s that is ^^

i reccomend the 55 coz it has immediate power =) 600 has turbo lack hmm but i had the cl600 its not to bad! i guess

=) but from g35 up to sl 600 and sl55 is a huge step!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies. Seems like it is unanimous for the SL600, and I agree it would give me the power and ride quality I am looking for, but here is the problem: I can afford a new SL500 or a used SL55 - and there are a surprising number of used SL55's on eBay - but I have only seen one used SL600 on eBay. Are there a lot less SL600's produced than SL55's? If they are produced in about the same numbers, I wonder why there are so many more SL55's being sold? Any insights on this?

Thanks,
Prolix

·
Registered
e55k,
252 Posts
the 55's have been produced for at least 2 more years than the sl 600. so that is some of the difference. the first year the sl600 was produced was 2004 and i believe the '55 2002. Sorry about the bad info on the price diffrence between the 55 and 600 but the ones i have seen on lots always must have the 600 with all the options. Anyways, historically the 600's have a worse resale value that the amg 55's but maybe not true with this vehicle. Plus anyone who has driven both will tell you that the 600 has plenty more power than the 55's. Like blackdemon said there is a touch of lag but once that is gone...g'bye! I agree i am trying to talk my dad into the renntech package but he just got a speeding ticket and is not motivated (he has the sl600). anyways, this discussion should tell you to wait on a 600 with 5-10k miles for a good price (115k?) then do it. those things are cool. my dad smoked me in my e55.....and he smoked me driving my e55 in my Z8...haha PS.. what do you guys think of a bmw Z8?

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Why do you need performance? The 2004 SL500 will do a 60 in about 5.8. I do not speed anymore because of tickets. They gave my friend a ticket because he spins his tires at a light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tiggerfink - 4/7/2005 12:57 AM

Why do you need performance? The 2004 SL500 will do a 60 in about 5.8. I do not speed anymore because of tickets. They gave my friend a ticket because he spins his tires at a light.
Why does anyone want performance? Why does Mercedes build cars with 500 HP engines? I guess because it's exhilarating. Even if rarely used, it brings a smile to my face every time.

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
If you put the resale price etc to one side, bottom line is if you want a smooth cruiser go for the 600, if you want a loud mean sports car go for the 55.

But the 500 is hardly a large step down, especially when considering we have 350s in the UK.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i thought that the sl500 with the 7 speed gearbox was meant to give an ultra smooth ride? with less torque and hp compared with the 600, i would suppose that was true!

i think the 600 would be too powerful for those that aren't into that exhilarating factor, especially if they're looking for a comfortable ride. so for me the 500 would do fine.

·
Registered
2004 SL500
42 Posts
Prolix - 4/6/2005 5:19 PM

Thanks for all your replies. Seems like it is unanimous for the SL600, and I agree it would give me the power and ride quality I am looking for, but here is the problem: I can afford a new SL500 or a used SL55 - and there are a surprising number of used SL55's on eBay - but I have only seen one used SL600 on eBay. Are there a lot less SL600's produced than SL55's? If they are produced in about the same numbers, I wonder why there are so many more SL55's being sold? Any insights on this?

Thanks,
Prolix
If you can't afford a new 55 or 600 with a factory warranty, I would strongly suggest you buy the new 500. You will have a warranty that covers anything that goes wrong. Believe me, if you do a little research on these forums, you will find several of us SL owners have had mechanical issues.

In my particular instance, I would not have been very happy if my SL was used and without a warranty. Mine has had a new transmission (about a $7,000 dealer job) and a few other mechanical problems with the ABC suspension, all of which were covered under warranty and My SL doesn't even have 5,000 miles on it yet!

If you're stepping up from a G35, I think you be pleased with the power of the 500. Also, if it's any concern, I've been told by Merc sales reps that the 500 holds its value better than any other SL model.

I don't know where you live, but here in L.A. a 55, 65 or 600 would truly be overkill. Our traffic conditions are beyond ridiculous. It would be rare that one would even be able to use that extra power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
joec1101 - 4/7/2005 1:37 PM

If you can't afford a new 55 or 600 with a factory warranty, I would strongly suggest you buy the new 500. You will have a warranty that covers anything that goes wrong.
I don't know where you live, but here in L.A. a 55, 65 or 600 would truly be overkill. Our traffic conditions are beyond ridiculous. It would be rare that one would even be able to use that extra power
Since the warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles, if I can find a used '04 SL55 or SL600, I would still have a couple years under warranty.

I live in Eugene, OR and traffic is not nearly as bad here. Trips to the coast or Portland would give me plenty of opportunity to use the power of a 55 or 600.

·
Registered
SLK 350
26 Posts
I'm sorry for being so blunt here; but how can you compare that rice burner(datsun) to a Benz?

·
Registered
SLK 350
26 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what got into me, my brotherinlaw just got one(G35), SORRY!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is an interesting topic.....I currently have an 04' Acura TL that I am going through a lemon law case with. I've owned a CLK430 so I just want to get back in the family. If I am going to have problems with a car, I want it to be something nice.

Anyway, I have the same problem deciding which CL to get the 500 or 55, I'm not going to buy new because it doesn't make sense. BTW, I am also looking at the SL. It would just be a fight between me and my wife because she loves the SL. So, I was going for the CL so I could be left alone. I know I don't NEED the extra power of the 55, but it would be nice to have it just in case.

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
lnguyenh - 4/10/2005 10:16 PM

Frankly speaking, Benz is not that exclusive anymore [:(][:0][:(!]
Depends on what model and what you do with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts