Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the specs on the G270CDI as far as acceleration and mpg? Also if anyone of you guys owns one, how do you like it?

Also, will the front and rear seats for the W463 fit inside? And lastly, is it possible to replace the swinging dual rear doors with a single rear fifth door from the W463?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,073 Posts
BrentG500 - 4/11/2005 8:38 PM

Does anyone have the specs on the G270CDI as far as acceleration and mpg? Also if anyone of you guys owns one, how do you like it?

Also, will the front and rear seats for the W463 fit inside? And lastly, is it possible to replace the swinging dual rear doors with a single rear fifth door from the W463?
Brent,

You are mixing apples and oranges. The G270CDI is the low end W463. It is equipped just like the US G500, minus some of the mandated MBUSA options. Real world mileage in the low 20 MPG range from what I understand.

There is a "Swiss Worker" G that has the 270CDI motor in it. It is a W461 and more closely resembles the old W460 models. I don't think that anyone owns one as it is apparantly part of a military contract. Might be wrong about the last point.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan, thanks for the reply! I should have probably stated that I have found a good deal on a G270 CDI (the W461 Swiss worker).

I did not mean to mix apples and oranges. [:(]

So I'm assuming the seats of a W463 would fit as well as the rear door? In general (to anyone who's owned a G with a diesel), how does the diesel engine perform?

My 1981 300SD Turbo Diesel was a fantastic vehicle, although it was very slow to pickup speed on cold starts as well as whenever it came time to picking up speed.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Brent,

the Swiss Worker has one single rear door. Only the armored versions feature the twin doors (weight on hinges issue). Everything out of the 463 fits into the 461.

The 270CDI is a phantastic engine. I drove a G270CDI from Stuttgart to Graz and back in February. Quiet, fast, comfortable. Goes easily 110 mph and never consumed more than 10 liters / 100km. Most of the time it was around 9 liters/100km

Harald

·
Registered
1997 290 GD T (461)
16 Posts
Brent,
the Swiss Series 461 270 CDI Worker comes standard with the single rear door, the double door is special oreder.
Seats should fit from a 463.
Performance figures are
156 hp at 3800 rpm (115 kw);
Max. Torque: 273 ft/lbs at 1800 - 2600 rpm (370 Nm);
Acceleration 0-37 mph: 5.1 sec, 0-50: 8.9 sec, 0-62: 13.9 sec;
Top speed 97 mph;
Consumption: urban 17.2 mpg (US), highway 24.2 mpg (US).
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
AlanMcR - 4/12/2005 1:10 AM

BrentG500 - 4/11/2005 8:38 PM

Brent,

You are mixing apples and oranges. The G270CDI is the low end W463. It is equipped just like the US G500, minus some of the mandated MBUSA options. Real world mileage in the low 20 MPG range from what I understand.

There is a "Swiss Worker" G that has the 270CDI motor in it. It is a W461 and more closely resembles the old W460 models. I don't think that anyone owns one as it is apparantly part of a military contract. Might be wrong about the last point.
"Mandated MBUSA options"????????? G500s worldwide are pretty darn similiar. If anything you have MORE options in Europe.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Actually, the G270 CDI is only available for sale to Government agencies here in the USA. It's funny how the NHTSA doesn't mention it, yet they are technically allowed to purchase one.

But I'm sure that MB will continue making the W461 variant and supplying it as Lightly Armored, IFAV, and military G.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
"Options"

mb230s - 4/12/2005 10:23 AM

"Mandated MBUSA options"????????? G500s worldwide are pretty darn similiar. If anything you have MORE options in Europe.
That's the whole point. In North America, MBUSA doesn't treat them as options, but a standard equipment; i.e. you have no choice (option) about whether you get them or not. In the Rest of the World, they really are options - you can take them or leave them.

A perfect example is all the polished stainless light guards, under carriage protection, etc on the G55. No choice in the USA. You gotta take them. In R-O-W, you can choose to have them or not.

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
Does anyone know why they won't sell it to civilians? I can't think of any real logical reasons for them not to other than maybe legal liability reasons that could be sorted out by a liability waiver on purchase of the vehicle.

I know its probably not possible, but has anyone looked into finding out if they are purchaseable as surplus? I know that sometimes ex-military vehicles can be purchsed privately.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
RE: "Options"

DUTCH - 4/12/2005 12:03 PM

mb230s - 4/12/2005 10:23 AM

That's the whole point. In North America, MBUSA doesn't treat them as options, but a standard equipment; i.e. you have no choice (option) about whether you get them or not. In the Rest of the World, they really are options - you can take them or leave them.

A perfect example is all the polished stainless light guards, under carriage protection, etc on the G55. No choice in the USA. You gotta take them. In R-O-W, you can choose to have them or not.
Very true for the G55 trim options, I've mentioned it before myself. 90% of what those that drank the Europa Kool-Aid complain about on "MBUSA" G500s is standard on ALL G500s post 2001. ESP, electronic shift locks, electronic transfer case, navigation, etc. These features are standard for most (if not all) G500s built 2001-2005 regardless of the country. They aren't options. Can't blame MBUSA for these.

There are more options offered above and beyond the USA options available in Europe - TV tuner, more phone options, auxillary heater, I'm sure there are many more. That is what I meant by "MORE options in Europe". I did not mean our "standard" features where "optional" on the other side of the pond.

The non-G500 461/463 offerings and cabrio/SWB - different story. Mercedes doesn't offer those models here. Yes, I wish they did, but we lets try comparing apples to apples. The G500 is pretty darn loaded everywhere it is sold.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RE: Belosch

The reason the company that makes these armored G's isn't allowed to sell them to civilians is first because Mercedes-Benz gave them a license (and rights) to only sell to government agencies.

Can you imagine what would happen if this company was allowed to sell to civilians against every Mercedes-Benz dealership in the country? That would alienate the Mercedes-Benz dealerships from making any profit on this highly desirable vehicle (not to mention, steal sales away from those pricey G500s).

Next, these vehicles are armoured vehicles. People who want one must undergo rigourous background checks to make sure they're not criminals or wouldn't use this vehicle for criminal intentions. That being said, the government can help assist you if you want this vehicle, providing you have the funds to pay in cash and you have a no prior criminal record.

If you don't want to go straight to the government, you might be able to go to an armoured car dealer and see if he can obtain this vehicle on your behalf.

The bottom line is that there's so much G politics involved and Mercedes-Benz is not making it easy for anyone to obtain this vehicle. But that doesn't mean that there aren't legal and ethical ways to obtain the vehicle.

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts

well, I meant more the unarmoured verions like the IFAV and the swiss worker version mentioned earlier. I really don't have a need for a fully armoured vehicle unless we are headed for zombie armageddon [:D], though i do like the double rear doors alot.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts

BrentG500 - 4/12/2005 2:24 PM

The reason the company that makes these armored G's isn't allowed to sell them to civilians is first because Mercedes-Benz gave them a license (and rights) to only sell to government agencies.

Can you imagine what would happen if this company was allowed to sell to civilians against every Mercedes-Benz dealership in the country? That would alienate the Mercedes-Benz dealerships from making any profit on this highly desirable vehicle (not to mention, steal sales away from those pricey G500s).

Next, these vehicles are armoured vehicles. People who want one must undergo rigourous background checks to make sure they're not criminals or wouldn't use this vehicle for criminal intentions. That being said, the government can help assist you if you want this vehicle, providing you have the funds to pay in cash and you have a no prior criminal record.

If you don't want to go straight to the government, you might be able to go to an armoured car dealer and see if he can obtain this vehicle on your behalf.

The bottom line is that there's so much G politics involved and Mercedes-Benz is not making it easy for anyone to obtain this vehicle. But that doesn't mean that there aren't legal and ethical ways to obtain the vehicle.
Some of the Gs pictured are not armored. I don't think we need to go to that extreme. Anybody live in a really small town where you know the mayor? What type of government paperwork and/or creditials are needed to allow the purchase?

Maybe next year we should contact SSSS? If there aren't any civilian Gs to compete with maybe we could convince the management to offer the 461 to the public.

I left Daley a message but he isn't returning my calls...

[;)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts

mb230s - 4/12/2005 3:15 PM

The G500 is pretty darn loaded everywhere it is sold.
You have obviously not purchased a new car in Europe; and I'm not talking "European Delivery" of an MBUSA car. While the drive train and basic control units are standard, almost everything else is an option. Very few cars in Europe are sold from a dealer's stock; but, rather, are built to order.

To prove this to yourself, go to the German MB website and check out the extra added options price list. Not the same as in the US. That's for sure.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts

DUTCH - 4/12/2005 2:50 PM

mb230s - 4/12/2005 3:15 PM

The G500 is pretty darn loaded everywhere it is sold.
You have obviously not purchased a new car in Europe; and I'm not talking "European Delivery" of an MBUSA car. While the drive train and basic control units are standard, almost everything else is an option. Very few cars in Europe are sold from a dealer's stock; but, rather, are built to order.

To prove this to yourself, go to the German MB website and check out the extra added options price list. Not the same as in the US. That's for sure.
I suggest you do the same - most of the stuff is cosmetic. You aren't going to be able to opt out of much of the G500 features some presume to be of "MBUSA" design.

There are a few items things that are standard here but optional in Europe. For instance, floor mats, cargo shade, tire cover, CD Changer (COMAND standard), and a few other items are indeed options in Europe. I'll take those standard. There was a sunroof option - not sure if that was for our metal sunroof or the rumored glass sunroof I've heard exists. That is about the only one that surprised me as being optional if indeed it is for the same metal sunroof.

Most of the big items and ESP, BAS, electronic lockers, electronic transfer case are NOT options - they are standard.

I suppose if you had the $s and knew the right people you could get a new G500 without some of major items. It isn't how they are generally offered. I know somebody who got a V12 in a model it wasn't offered that given year via a MBUSA dealer. In theory anything is possible.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts

FYI
Most of the armor is done in Graz. Wouldn't make sense to completely disassemble the entire car later. Here an image of the inside armor of the double doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts

mb230s - 4/13/2005 9:32 PM

There are a few items things that are standard here but optional in Europe. For instance, floor mats, cargo shade, tire cover, CD Changer (COMAND standard), and a few other items are indeed options in Europe. I'll take those standard. There was a sunroof option - not sure if that was for our metal sunroof or the rumored glass sunroof I've heard exists. That is about the only one that surprised me as being optional if indeed it is for the same metal sunroof.
That sunroof that costs upward of £900 is the standard sunroof you get in the US. I've got an option list from MB for the G. The G500 optional extras list is 5 pages long....

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Thanks!

Maxwell Smart - 4/15/2005 9:19 PM

mb230s - 4/13/2005 9:32 PM

That sunroof that costs upward of £900 is the standard sunroof you get in the US. I've got an option list from MB for the G. The G500 optional extras list is 5 pages long....
Thanks for the confirmation of my earlier message. People who have never purchased an MB outside of the USA just have no idea of the depth and breadth of MB and their product line.

MBUSA really hands their customers the short end of the stick.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts