Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85' 280 GES
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody there who knows a place where they have g wreckers in Melbourne? It seemed that g class is not very popular in Ausie

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
Boncosmarocos - 2/17/2005 2:47 AM

Is there anybody there who knows a place where they have g wreckers in Melbourne? It seemed that g class is not very popular in Ausie
I was trying to teach my girlfriend how to drive a manual transmission on mine this afternoon, does that count?

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Boncosmarocos - 2/17/2005 8:47 AM

There are about 2 or 3 G Owners in Melbourne, perhaps trying sending them a message to find out.

Also I see from your profile you are in Jakarta, there was someone else on this forum from there who completely restored a G so he might have some tips closer to home. I also had an uncle who had a G in Jakarta but I believe he just got his dealer to order the parts - alas that was many many years ago.

·
Registered
W461 G300 Professional - 2018
73 Posts
Unfortunately there are no G specific wreckers in Melbourne. You could only try your luck on Mercedes and 4 wheel drive wreckers or the Part Locating services. However as there were only around 300 G's officially sold here + a few personal imports - you will be hard pressed to find any.

Having said all that there is one Mercedes wrecker who currently has the bare-bones of a SWB 280GE. Regrettably most of the good stuff is gone (I have a lot of it!) There is a supposedly rebuilt front-end left and a bit of bodywork. Prices are high however. If you want more details send me a personal message and I'll give you the details.

On G's in Melbourne, I personally know of about 20 people here in Melbourne with G's and have seen many more on the roads here including a Puch. I have thought about trying to start an Owners Association in Australia so that we can share resources/knowledge, bulk buy etc. but it is one of those things I will need to get around to. Two other car clubs keep me busy.

If any Australian owners are interested in the idea of a local G association send me an email or PM and I could become more motivated.

John

Anyway good luck

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
There were at last count about 14 or so Aussis on the GWOA Forums and at least 3 or 4 from Indonesia....

Not sure about here, but I bet there are alot on Benzworld too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the president of the suzuki 4x4 club in melbourne has a modified G wagon and im doing an engine swap in a g wagon at work (450 v8) after the help i got here about diff ratio's and a fair bit of research we found the cost way too expensive to change the ratio's, so we are looking at adapting a t700 overdrive auto and going to 33's.

i would have figured benz parts to be cheaper in malaysia as benz' are made there, i know a company in melbourne who wrecks and sells new parts for benz cars, he is much cheaper than the dealers, but he imports his parts from malaysia.

as with all things benz in australia - the benz is aimed at the prestige market and no base models are sold here, except for some commercials.

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
Mike G. - 2/17/2005 10:54 AM

Boncosmarocos - 2/17/2005 2:47 AM

I was trying to teach my girlfriend how to drive a manual transmission on mine this afternoon, does that count?
[:D][:D][:D] Only if she touched something else than the transmission [:p][:D][}:)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts