Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 280GE, 1980 406, 411.117
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sean at Eurotruck-importers.com has a neat G. Check it out at http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/specials.htm
If I could win the lottery!

Thanks,
JT

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
I'm more interested in the 280GE for sale. I'd most likely replace the engine and update the interior.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
The engine is tight. Uses no oil. It gets 12 city and 14-15 highway. The interior could be updated, however it is a great old truck and has served me well. My choices were to sell my 1968 S404 Unimog or the 280 GE, and since I have a 300 GD, we are letting the 280 GE go---cheap in my opinion.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes, it's not cheap, but the new Unimog axles used in the conversion easily go for $20,000 alone.

I too was shocked initially by the price until I heard what ORC charges for such a conversion. Maybe, Arnd will fill us in here on the exact details.

If the price for a Euro were to suddenly go back to .90 cents, you'd see this beauty in my driveway. It's my dream truck, or at least it would be after I painted it white. [8D]

Oh yeah, Ed's white 280GE is a steal at the current price. This truck needs to go to a loving, caring certified G-wagen nut. Many of you here certainly qualify.[:D]

Nice weekend to all,

-Sean P.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Sean,

I'd be interested in the shorter hardtop Unimog of the late 60s vintage. If you ever know of one in the Midwest send me a note.

Where is a good place to get a rundown of the years, models, engines, options, etc?

Dave

·
Registered
573 Posts
mb230s - 4/2/2005 11:00 AM

Where is a good place to get a rundown of the years, models, engines, options, etc?

Dave,

Trying to find all of the Unimog models and options in one place is like trying to shoot a flying humming bird with a BB gun. I still get dizzy trying to sort it all out.

1960's vintage in short wheelbase would most commonly be either the 411 or 406.

The best place to start digging for Unimog info is on Ron DePugh's Rocky Mountain Moggers website.

http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com

WARNING! Do not dig to far into the UNIMOG world. Once you get sucked in, there's no going back. Unimogitis is very contagious. It's very similar to Gwagenococcus. [:D]

Feel free to email me directly if you have any specific questions.

-Sean Philyaw

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
yeah, but see, a G with unimog axles satisfys both addictions at once [:D] well almost.

is that truck already in the states and federalized?
and what exactly does it take to get unimog axles on a G does anyone know?

it looks like it sits at least a full foot higher than stock. I dont know much about diesel engines, but ultimately i want to either get an old diesel G and put portal axles on it, or get an 416 Doka since i want to move someplace and get some land andrun biodiesel at some point in the next few years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I visited the owner of this car 3 or 4 years ago, only back then it didn't have the portal axles yet.

It's a very nice G.

Greetings,
Frank

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
EuroTruck - 4/4/2005 10:34 PM

mb230s - 4/2/2005 11:00 AM

Dave,

Trying to find all of the Unimog models and options in one place is like trying to shoot a flying humming bird with a BB gun. I still get dizzy trying to sort it all out.

1960's vintage in short wheelbase would most commonly be either the 411 or 406.

The best place to start digging for Unimog info is on Ron DePugh's Rocky Mountain Moggers website.

http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com

WARNING! Do not dig to far into the UNIMOG world. Once you get sucked in, there's no going back. Unimogitis is very contagious. It's very similar to Gwagenococcus. [:D]

Feel free to email me directly if you have any specific questions.

-Sean Philyaw
My other Mercedes has a M180 motor, having a Unimog w/ the same (albeit low compression) would be neat. Best engine I've ever worked on plus I have spares.

·
Registered
573 Posts
mb230s - 4/5/2005 1:33 PM

My other Mercedes has a M180 motor, having a Unimog w/ the same (albeit low compression) would be neat. Best engine I've ever worked on plus I have spares.

Silly me, I thought you were talking about one of the diesel UNIMOGs when you mentioned "shorter". You are referring to the UNIMOG S 404 with the 2.2 liter M180 engine. They are all over the place in this country and can be easily had, even with the hardtop that you desire.

-Sean Philyaw

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
EuroTruck - 4/6/2005 11:08 AM

mb230s - 4/5/2005 1:33 PM

Silly me, I thought you were talking about one of the diesel UNIMOGs when you mentioned "shorter". You are referring to the UNIMOG S 404 with the 2.2 liter M180 engine. They are all over the place in this country and can be easily had, even with the hardtop that you desire.

-Sean Philyaw
Probably my ignorance, I don't know much about Unimogs. I know that for many years they were putting low compression versions of the same M180 engine I have in my 230S. The ones pictured that I like are hardtop (if I get one it will sit outside in WI for months on end) 2 seaters with a small bed on back. A tilt bed might be nice. I have no idea if the engine and body were ever offered together or what series. I like the "rounder" versions better than the "square" versions.

Is that vague enough for you?

I need to find a book and do some research.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts