Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 560SEL 69 280 SE coupe 95 S500 coupe 2013 B Class
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of selling my 1986 280GE because my wife doesn't like climbing up into it and wants to save on bgas. It is a 1986 280 GE LWB with :
450,000Km
Rebuilt engine at 300,000Kms
automatic transmision
New beautiful paint Tunis brown
no Rust
almost mint interior
Webasto heater
5 gas tanks
Becker radio
A/C
New front end
New shocks,bushings all around
New tires
Oil changed every 3,000KMs
Spent a lot of time in the Sahara ,hence the 2 extra gas tanks
meticulously maintained

what is the market price for this machine ?

thanks
Doug Dees

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Unfortunately - $8K-10K. The G market in the US is shot w/ the availabilty of Europa 98-00 G500s and 02s selling in the $20K range.

·
Registered
2003 G500; 2002 CLK55; 2007 R320; 1981 380Sl; 1987 911 Cab
102 Posts
I just sold mine here in the states for $12000.00 with 143000 miles.

It took about 2 1/2 months...........

I did have some very thoughtful offers of $6,000-$9,000. (NOT)
Alot of bottom feeders out there.

There are many buyers, more your side of the boarder looking to do a diesel transplant in them.

If it is as nice as you say it is, be patient, it will sell........... The market is slow but it is out there.

·
Registered
BRABUS G36 & G320 LWB
694 Posts
Congrats!

Polish Dude said:
I just sold mine here in the states for $12000.00 with 143000 miles.

It took about 2 1/2 months...........

I did have some very thoughtful offers of $6,000-$9,000. (NOT)
Alot of bottom feeders out there.

There are many buyers, more your side of the boarder looking to do a diesel transplant in them.

If it is as nice as you say it is, be patient, it will sell........... The market is slow but it is out there.

Douglas Dees,

Just be patient it took me 3 1/2 months to sell my 1986 280GE and the vehicle was located in New York.

Also Mark,

Congrats on selling your G-class 280GE !

Respectfully,

James Van Thach

·
Registered
17 Posts
Used 80's G prices coming down?

Hi all,
I've started to look for a good mid-late 80's G (preferably diesel, and preferably LWB). I gather the used prices have dropped of late, which is good for the buyer I suppose. If I understand the postings here, one should be able to get a nice specimen for anywhere between $8 and 12K? Is there usually a price premium for diesel? (3L 5 cylinder)

Is the upsurge in cost of gasoline partly to blame for the downturn in used G prices (gas engine specimens)? Or as someone said, is it the fact that newer ones are starting to come onto the market around the $20K range, pushing the older ones down?
Thanks,
--Robert

·
Registered
2003 G500; 2002 CLK55; 2007 R320; 1981 380Sl; 1987 911 Cab
102 Posts
Diesel are extremely quick sellers, I don't see them taking the hit the gas did.
Also as far as I know allot fewer mid 80's diesels came in. Diesels lost their coolness in the states from around 1989-1999.
It isn't about the gas milage, I think its the fact that allot of 02's are hitting the street, don't know if it is the lease game, or the disposible mentalility allot of Americans have that when it needs new tires or goes over 50,000 miles its time to go...............

·
Registered
1993 g300 brabus
2 Posts
if this g wagen is still for sale I would be interested in buying it, if you could give me your email or phone number I can call you about it. if you have any pictures that you can email me, my email is [email protected]
thanks

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
i don't think it's safe to say that 8-12k will get you a nice specimin. It might, but you need to be careful buyer all the same because the only difference bettween a nice truck and a fixer upper is the statements of the seller and discretion of the buyer. If someone has a mint truck and is aware of the slow market they wont be in a rush and might want more, because the difference between a fixer upper and a mint truck is quite a bit of money. Last year an 86 280GE with only 20k miles sold for over $25k... not the average truck by any means, but the newer g-wagens weren't worth that much more than they are now.

As another example, there have been model year 2000's now selling for more than the equivalent mileage 2002's... which is worth it to some buyers, so for those who know what they want, the extra money may be worth it, even if it's seemingly illogicall... some people just want older trucks for specific reasons so even if the average ebay market shows depression of the vehicles value, you are looking at the bottom feeders in the market.

Patience for both the buyer and selling is seemingly imporant for this vehicle.

·
Registered
BRABUS G36 & G320 LWB
694 Posts
1. Cost, 2. Time (patience), 3. Quality

i don't think it's safe to say that 8-12k will get you a nice specimin. It might, but you need to be careful buyer all the same because the only difference bettween a nice truck and a fixer upper is the statements of the seller and discretion of the buyer. If someone has a mint truck and is aware of the slow market they wont be in a rush and might want more, because the difference between a fixer upper and a mint truck is quite a bit of money. Last year an 86 280GE with only 20k miles sold for over $25k... not the average truck by any means, but the newer g-wagens weren't worth that much more than they are now.

As another example, there have been model year 2000's now selling for more than the equivalent mileage 2002's... which is worth it to some buyers, so for those who know what they want, the extra money may be worth it, even if it's seemingly illogicall... some people just want older trucks for specific reasons so even if the average ebay market shows depression of the vehicles value, you are looking at the bottom feeders in the market.

Patience for both the buyer and selling is seemingly imporant for this vehicle.

ewalberg,

You are right on point in your assessment, quality, patience supply and demand.

1. Cost

2. Time (patience)

3. Quality

If you sacrifice any of these three points before purchasing a Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen it will cost you very dearly in your wallet.

Respectfully,

James Văn Thạch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts