Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car is finished at teh paint shop and i went to pick it saturday.

On the way down. 25 mile drive, the G and the trailer i got 9.8 mpg which sucks...

So we load the car on the trailer and drive back on the same road. I reset the milage when we pulled out of the parking lot just to see.. 11.8 on the way home with a car on the back.

So anyone want to tell me how / why...

Attachments

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
two other question.

1) did you all buy a extended trailer hitch. Ever time i tow something i have to take that big heavy tire off.

2) anyone thought of some air ride on the G. I mean one would think that would give us 2-3" of lift, and when we tow it will sag in the back like mine does.

·
Registered
03 G500 & 95 E320 Wagon
255 Posts
I tow 21ft wakeboard boat (about 5,000 pounds with gear). I get about 10-12mpg, down to 8 when climbing the pass. However I am able to maintain 65 on steep grades, which is awesome.

I think the G tows very well. It's super stable, even with cross winds and I hardly feel the boat. It tows better than my friends Yukon and the gas milage is a bit better under tow. Not towing I get about 14-16 hwy.

I had to get a extended trailer hitch so the bow doesn't hit the spare tire. No biggie. My only complaint is I had to install the swtich to turn off the parktronic.... not sure what they were thinking.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Kerr - 3/7/2005 5:06 PM

So anyone want to tell me how / why...
A warmed up engine can make a couple of mpg difference in a 25 mile drive - very easily!

Then there's head wind vs tail wind, up vs down hill, speed to/from, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
DITTO!!! Headwinds/Tailwinds, and drafting other cars makes big difference... i notice mine is pretty bad too when cold, but i sure like the more agressive shift points when cold... at first i thought there was something wrong with my tranny till i read the manual and it says it lets the engine rev up more between gears when cold.

...and intuitively it doesn't make sense, but technically it's possible that the car and trailer is more aerodynamic than the trailer alone, depending on how the car ocupies the low pressure space behind the vehicle.

heck, just sitting at a traffic light for a little too long on a 25 minutes drive could make all the difference.

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts
Brake controller

What type of brake controllers are you guys using? Any tips?

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,198 Posts
I'm jealous. I think that my G320 tows great, but I think that the G500 would be even better. Luckily, I live in Florida where there are no major climbs.

Chuck

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
w5yk,

where was that picture of your G taken? Got a larger one?

Harald

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts
RE: location

It was in Baja. I regularly drive this stretch from San Ignacio to San Juanico on the north trail. San Ignacio is a couple of hours south of Guerrero Negro, on the highway. It's 105 miles from there to San Juanico, some of it is quite good trail, most of it is horrendous washboard. This was taken way out on the salt flats, which is the quickest, but riskiest, way to go. This point is about 50 miles from the nearest surfaced road. I've got stuck out there twice, which led me to take a bit more interest in the art of driving off-road. Thanks to the info on your web page Harald, I now have 16" wheels!

I'm guessing you must recognise this area?

Attachments

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
RE: location

Yup, I know the trails in that area very well. Here are the images that I took there last time:

http://www.baja101.com/104/40e.html
http://www.baja101.com/104/35e.html

I'll be down there again in two weeks - can hardly wait. If I could only convince more G owners to join.

Harald

Attachments

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so you think it was the wind....

On the hitch... which size length did you get and where did you get it. I looked at walmart and they only had what i already have.

Also did we make it any further on the trialer brake deal?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts