781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
They'll Fit, but Why?

They will fit, but the seller is asking way too much money for them. I think there's at least one set availble from another forum member at less money than that.

Question - Why would you want to get rid of your 16" wheels? They are so much better for tire availability than 18".

·
Registered
G320,G-Cabrio,Brabus G300GE
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: They'll Fit, but Why?

Dutch,

I wanted a set of rims that would match my Chrome Grill Guard.

The 16 inch rims are fine and in perfect condition.

I do not have any negative comments about them.

Where is a good place to get a set of Chrome G-class rims?

thanks,

Van

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
RE: They'll Fit, but Why?

about 10,000 different wheel shops in the US will get your wheels chromed for a few bucks (well, they will try to get $$$$ from you - but it is less than $50 per wheel).
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/chrome_exchange.htm

Harald

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
if you gotta have chrome...

If you gotta have chrome, have you considered polishing or chroming your 16's?

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
I have FIVE 18" OEM rims (et 43) from my 2004 G500 for sale--just like those from the pics. I took them off because i went with 16" rims...i went in the opposite direction as you!

PM me if you are interested in them...i am asking $800 + whatever shipping cost is for all five rims. BTW, the rims come with tires (Yokohamas H/T with 17K miles on them).

BTW, i like your signature![:)]

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
And as to fit....

Per Harald's post to another member on a related subject, The 20mm lower ET means the outer edge of the wheel rim will be 20mm farther out from the side of the vehicle. Whether that comes out form under your fender flares, or you like that look or not would remain to be seen.

Expect the steering to feel a little different too if you maintain the same overall tire height by using lower profile tires with the 18s than you do with your current wheels.

But the 18's will bolt up without interference, yes.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Just for clarification: my 18" rims are NOT chrome. But this can be done later.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE: if you gotta have chrome...

I have not considered it, but I will look into getting some estimates.

thanks,

Van

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts

Saigon76nyc - 5/4/2005 11:49 AM

I have not considered it, but I will look into getting some estimates.

thanks,

Van
Be very, VERY, VERY careful. In the wrong hands (and there are only a couple of "right" hands in the entire country), you will end up with ruined wheels.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts

Dutch, from what little i've heard from people i don't even trust at tire rack, chromed aluminum rims are notoriously poor balanced because the chrome doesn't go on very consistently so you end up with "funky" rims. There is someone on this forum with a green G that Chuck (GK) had done some work for. He had his 18's chromed... wonder if he had any trouble.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts

ewalberg - 5/4/2005 1:20 PM

Dutch, from what little i've heard from people i don't even trust at tire rack, chromed aluminum rims are notoriously poor balanced because the chrome doesn't go on very consistently so you end up with "funky" rims. There is someone on this forum with a green G that Chuck (GK) had done some work for. He had his 18's chromed... wonder if he had any trouble.
Nickel/Chrome plating done by the original wheel manufacturer are the way to go, if you must have nickel/chrome. The wheels are plated in special jigs, often in pieces prior to final assembly.

After market plating on wheels cannot be done this way, and the final job is inconsistent and often has very poor adhesion to the base metal. I would not do it.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
i dont know if they are sill in business but a company call DAZZ mortorsports use to sale factory mercedes chrome wheels. I got a set of 19X9.5 and 18X8 amg ultra thin spokes from the a few years ago. They send all the paperwork, warranty info and stamp each wheel with your vin number. I had the wheels 3 years and never any problems.

If not, i think you can exchange the 18" non chrome and $550 for chrome wheels. SO you could buy the other for $800+ shipping then pay the $550 for exchange and come out alright i would think.

·
Registered
1979 G460
70 Posts

ewalberg - 5/4/2005 1:20 PM
There is someone on this forum with a green G that Chuck (GK) had done some work for. He had his 18's chromed... wonder if he had any trouble.
You are most likely referring to mine. They have been perfect thus far. They balanced well and even moving from 16" steels with 35" tires to the 37" tires on the 18" wheels the steering, shaking, etc was a huge improvement.

Discount tire has a manufacturer called "Fond Metals" out of Italy that does forged wheels at a resonable price in 17" and 18" wheel sizes. I agree with the lack of tires in the 18" but they did not have the 17" in stock. If you are sold on chrome go with the 17" wheels- more selection on tires and better prices.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you please post a photo of your rims?

thanks,

Van

·
Registered
1979 G460
70 Posts
I talked to the guy that I typically deal with and they are not longer making the 17" wheels-( this explains why they were not in stock when I bought mine). They are around $250.

Go to the Discount tire websight - select the "ship to home" and enter in the vehicle. It will be the only wheel that shows up on the search.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts