Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 G400 cdi swb
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,I've heard that there are problems with the 400CDI whats the pro's and con's?[8)]
Cause I'm off to buy one on tuesday....[:)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
piggysims - 5/7/2005 9:38 AM

Hi All,I've heard that there are problems with the 400CDI whats the pro's and con's?[8)]
You'll be disappointed.

Do a search here on the 400CDI. Most (not all, but must) of those here who've had them have pretty much been disgusted with them.

Buy a second vehicle to use while it's in the service center.

Get a G500 instead.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
DUTCH - 5/7/2005 11:27 AM

piggysims - 5/7/2005 9:38 AM

You'll be disappointed.

Do a search here on the 400CDI. Most (not all, but must) of those here who've had them have pretty much been disgusted with them.

Buy a second vehicle to use while it's in the service center.

Get a G500 instead.
I've driven and love the 320 cdi engine. I wish that they would put it in the G-Wagon.

Chuck

·
Registered
G 400
40 Posts
piggysims - 5/7/2005 3:38 PM

I have one from 2002 that I have driven for 7 months /12000km.

I have had alot of problems with it but the only engine related problem was a camchain that had stretched (?!)

It is just as fast as a G500 up to about 80km/h.

Accelerating from 110-140km/h is slower.

But nothing beats it in lowrange going slow....

Its about 1,3liters/10km....with my G500 it would be about 1,7liters/10km...

I hope this information makes your pick easier....

If there is any thing else you want to know in differences 400cdi vs 500 just ask!

/Dan
/Dan

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
People are always telling me that G wagens are ugly, am I being bullied, having looked at that picture of the silver G55. How can anyone say thats ugly. But then the Maybahc is ugly and people spend $500,000 on one of them[:0]

·
Registered
2006 G400 cdi swb
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Tomas, I'm back without a G.[V] I got all the service and warranty info on the 2003 vehicle before i went but didn't read until on the plane and noticed that he mileage on the warranty info was a lot higher than the vehicle was being sold for!

So we still went and looked at the vehicle because I've never driven a swb G400 and was interested to see the interior, the vehicle drove fine and looked untouched underneath but the garage could find the service history[:I] and when I mentioned the miles on the warranty info they couldn't explain it and looked embarrest and then after giving me a price with the tax they wanted to add tax again(which made it only 10000 euro away from a new one) because it was going to the uk.... I walked off and flew home and I'm now searching germany for a new one or close to it!

It was a long way to go for a test drive[8)]

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
You could have gone to Nottingham to have a test drive, they have a couple there, and I've just drawn a blank on there name, but check out www.autotrader.co.uk and you'll get there.

If your buying the vehilce from Europe and it is older than 6 months will not have to pay VAT over here but then you proberbly know that already. If your vat registered you can ask the garage to lose the VAT there end as its for export.

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
piggysims - 5/12/2005 9:44 AM

Hi Tomas, I'm back without a G.[V] I got all the service and warranty info on the 2003 vehicle before i went but didn't read until on the plane and noticed that he mileage on the warranty info was a lot higher than the vehicle was being sold for!

So we still went and looked at the vehicle because I've never driven a swb G400 and was interested to see the interior, the vehicle drove fine and looked untouched underneath but the garage could find the service history[:I] and when I mentioned the miles on the warranty info they couldn't explain it and looked embarrest and then after giving me a price with the tax they wanted to add tax again(which made it only 10000 euro away from a new one) because it was going to the uk.... I walked off and flew home and I'm now searching germany for a new one or close to it!

It was a long way to go for a test drive[8)]
Well, when I may give you a help:
I would never, I repeat NEVER buy a G400 CDI from a free dealer, only from a MB Dealer. They can give you the repair history based on the Chassis no. and a guarantee.
Best places for that is one of the 3 MB-Gelaendewagen Centers in Germany ( Hamburg, Berlin, Munich )

·
Registered
2006 G400 cdi swb
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This was a Merc main dealer but less than 30 new mercs are bought a year in Prague so there still not up to speed with the rest of europe and this was the bosses car. It was in good condition in/out and under and was fully loaded but just wanted too much money and they had taken about 10000km off the clock, they said the book would be stamped up to date! But I've been offered good discounts on a new G400 which makes buying a 2 year old one for a bit silly..

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
wheelhouse thats the one, but if you went to prague then guess you killed to birds by visitng that lovely city. and the ladies that frequent the streets of a night [;)]

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
My Friend , i am just buying one of the last Gs that will be produced in Austria , and i am in serius doubt , g500 or g400?

At this momennt what do you have?

People from Mercedes told me that in Europe because a diesel filter , some times they have problems with bad diesel.This not the case here in Brasil ( They solve the problem taking out the filter.)The diesel still bad.....

What kind of probles you with your G?

regards Zé

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Zé Bocaina - 5/17/2005 3:21 AM

My Friend , i am just buying one of the last Gs that will be produced in Austria , and i am in serius doubt , g500 or g400?

At this momennt what do you have?

People from Mercedes told me that in Europe because a diesel filter , some times they have problems with bad diesel.This not the case here in Brasil ( They solve the problem taking out the filter.)The diesel still bad.....

What kind of probles you with your G?

regards Zé
It's not the Diesel quality.
When you want it as a collectors item, go for a G500.
This is one of the best V8 Engines MB ever made ! The quality of it is legendary.
Engine repairs from a G400 are extremely expensive.

·
Registered
2006 G400 cdi swb
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm afraid I'm still looking for new G400, i guess it wil be a steep learning curve.
i didn't think it would be so difficult to find one I want it to be silver with black leather and short!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts