Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'99 SLK230KM
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't seen this discussed here, but note that the $120 service manual CD-ROM is copy protected via SecuROM.

This may or may not bother you depending on whether you can imagine damaging the disc or whether or not you trust these technologies to be foolproof when it comes to using the original CD or whether or not you plan to copy the CD for your own purposes.

In my case I've already had spurious refusals to open the disc and I've only been playing with it for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230 Kompressor Sport
83 Posts
you give...

...a ride in your SLK to that friendly next door hacker to brake the protection for you :) . Or you can always try another bribe... pizza, cookies etc.

·
Registered
'99 SLK230KM
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kirill said:
How you know it's SecuROM ?
Because when it had problems authenticating, it came up with some SecurRom diagnostics.

Besides being concerned over potential damage to a very expensive CD, I'm very skeptical that these goofball copy protection schemes will be portable into the future of computing. They all depend heavily on how CD drives and operating systems (Win2k/XP in this case--others need not even think about it) and computers (Wintel PC only--people with anything else must not need to know) work NOW. When the diagnostic comes up describing how to set PIO vs. DMA mode for disk IO, one gets cold feelings about what will happen when we try to use the CD on a state-of-the-art Windows 2013 machine.

I did do a little educational cracking research. Just about enough to conlude that there are lots of variants and lots of schemes and that gamers have cracked many game CDs. Who knows how that relates to this one?

·
Registered
C2D SLK32K
514 Posts
There's always a way.....send it to me and I'll make a copy for you....:eek:)

·
Registered
2003 SLK 230
41 Posts
Yeah, Tungsters right.... I can make a copy of any disk, I guarantee it. I'll even copy the copy protection so the new disk has it too....

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Sounds like Astro is using the same programs that I use<LOL>!! Yup, can lift it to another disk, copy protection and all...if it were labeled the same, you'd never find a difference!

·
Registered
'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
157 Posts
I recommend you visit the appropriate forums at afterdawn.com. A world of knowledge and resources can be found there, and usually for free.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
There are new protection schemes cropping up every month too. I have had a VW MFD series "D" Navi on my 2000 VW Jetta since I rebuilt it in 2001 and everytime I need to update the nav CD's its off to the store to get the latest hacker tools to see what works on the latest generation of navi CD's.

The first few years there was no copy protection so all I had to do was hack the data files so the VW system would accept them. The VW MFD navi was based on the Blaupunkt Travel Pilot series and used European DX style data disks. Since VW has never sold a CD based nav system in North America there never were any CD based maps from VW for this system and the only way to make it work was to take a DX disk from another Navi system and hack the data files to the point where they appeared to have the accepted format that the VW would take. And no, the Audi maps do not work in the VW.

Now the copy protection ensures that I make a lot of coasters before I get the right mix of parameters so the navi data and protection are both happy enough to work together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts