Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3L
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be common knowledge but I thought I would throw it out there to see if it helps someone. Last weekend, I spoke to a mechanic who has disassembled several 190es about not being able to turn the key on the driver's door lock (Its the right key, as it unlocks the other side). I know when I posted about this before other people chimed in and said they had had similar problems.

He told me that the problem with 190e/190d's in general with locks is the tumbler behind the cylinder. He said these are not available from parts companies/Mercedes and are the most common reason door locks fail. He said the best thing to do is to try and get another tumbler (but didn't say how, given that they're not sold) and connect it (?) to the cylinder.

Ron

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,479 Posts
with most lock tumblers they are generally the same, you have the tumbler assy that is held in with a spring clip, then the actually bar for the lock is usually inserted into a the tumbler or screwed on

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3L
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I got another lock. Now What?

So I went to the dealership and ordered another lock with the key. I practiced taking the thing out at a junk yard.

The trouble is I can't get it out of the door. I've taken the door panel off, taken out the rubber cover for where you put the allen key, unlocked it with the allen key. Now, I can't get the lock cylinder/tumbler out.

Any idea how to get it out? The manual says to turn it 60 degrees; but I'm not sure how I would do that....

Ron

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
take the allen out a little more and wiggle that mofo right out using the key to pull it out

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3L
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the allen thing out entirely...

so I just didn't pull hard enough? I thought about getting a screw driver and wedging it out...

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Does anyone know what the (+) screw inside the door (near the allen screw) is for? Tried playing with it in JY cars but never knew what it was for.

Any DIY pics? ;)

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3L
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hooray! I got the door lock out and put the new one in...now what?

Hi,

So I wedged the old lock out with a flat head screwdriver. I inserted the new one, put the little allen key thing back in the door. Now, when I turn the key in the cylinder, it doesn't actuate the door. There must be something in the door (the actuator?) that I need to connect to the lock...any ideas?

Ron

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3L
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see now...there is something that it has to plug into in the actuator. I can't seem to get it in, though...

Ron

·
Registered
190e 2.6L
297 Posts
My locks stopped working and I just gave them a good shot of Slick 50 silicon lube...works nice since then!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts