Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 500 as most of you know. I also have a 01 E430 and some other cool rides. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, out of curiosity, I popped off the plastic engine cover to just take a look. Boy was I surprised. At 72K, there was clearly a slow oil leak somewhere on the passenger side of the engine rocker cover. I investigated and it looked like it was coming from the coil pack area or head gasket. I took the car into my local MB shop for diagnosis and I believe they think it's the head gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, since the E430 and the ML500 have basically the same engine, I popped up the cover of my ML500 and, yep, you guessed it - similar oil leak. So, check yours, especially if you're near end of warranty!!! The ML is still under warranty so she'll go back in for that sometime soon. It's not a drip-drip you'll notice on the garage floor. If your's is leaking you'll notice the area is quite wet from oil vapors. I don't believe this affects the V6 engines, but check anyway.

Please post if you observe this with your motor. I'll like to keep a list.

·
Registered
'03 ML350
211 Posts
Do you mean valve cover? Or maybe some other seals? I've never heard of oil leaking from head gasket. Maybe MB engines are different. :(

·
Registered
02 S430 - 00 ML55 - 91 NSX
259 Posts
Darkman.. Your dealer seems to really rape the warranty with both your cars. Headgasket issue with a none turbo car under 100k miles is total unacceptable by any manufacturer. Head Gasket failure will give you a lot more problems than oil film. - Overheating, Lost power, no start, white smoke...

Valve cover leaking is pretty common tho. It does nothing to the car other than make the engine dirty. However if it is bad enough to drip then it should be fix.

If nothing is wrong with the HeadGasket. I actually would not want the tech to pull the heads out even if the service was free to you.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fkong777 said:
Darkman.. Your dealer seems to really rape the warranty with both your cars. Headgasket issue with a none turbo car under 100k miles is total unacceptable by any manufacturer. Head Gasket failure will give you a lot more problems than oil film. - Overheating, Lost power, no start, white smoke...

Valve cover leaking is pretty common tho. It does nothing to the car other than make the engine dirty. However if it is bad enough to drip then it should be fix.

If nothing is wrong with the HeadGasket. I actually would not want the tech to pull the heads out even if the service was free to you.
I think what they said is supradupe mentioned - oil collector cover. Excuse my inexperience, but I just don't know what the difference is between that and the head gasket or the valve cover. The wetness is in the area arount the interface of the rocker cover and the rest of the block. It's definitely not the head gasket, now that I have looked up what that is. Thanks for the insight and sorry if I misled anyone. I will look up supradupe's oil collector details.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
supradupe said:
No, it's not the head gasket, there is oil film around the coil pack, and it attracts dirt and other road grime. Anyhow, it's the oil collector cover, I opened it and replaced the old seal, it has been oil film free for a while.
see my post in the other forum

oil film around the ignition coil packs - ShopForum
Supradupe, I believe that's what they said - the E's still in the shop and I don't have the service order on hand. I think I stupidly jumped the gun in my allerting you all - see post below. I will check your link as soon as I'm done posting this. Thanks.

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
Darkman,
I had exactly the same stuff you got there on your truck, the oil collector cover sits atop of the valve cover (which is bolted down by the 8-10 ext-torx bolts). I didn't even bother to open up the valve cover. If you look further behind the MAF, you see a smaller rectangular cover sits atop the valve cover, it's there that leaks. There is one on each size. The oil collector cover is sealed by loctite 5900. I think the rubber just got brittle with age and does not seal well. It's not a bad job for DIY, unfortunately, all those coil packs, intake air duct will need to be removed. I also took the opportunity to clean out the oil film.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Shit

I found samekind of like leak from my ML 430 which is V8. Oh.. Lord would you buy me Mecedes Benz.

Anyhow it is very minor leak.

I checked the price of Loctite, which is some 200 USD

Is there any other some more cost effective option.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks supradupe. The shop thinks it's the valve cover gasket but I think you're right. Since ML is still under warranty, I'll have them do it and make sure they R&R the oil collector also. As for the E, I'll have them do the collector first. If leak persists (I hope not based on your xperience), that I'll do the valve cover gasket - $264.00, shop estimate.

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
darkman,
if leak comes from valve cover gasket, your oil film will have been around the valve cover, not above it. They should only touch the oil collector cover. Check the driver's side also, you may need that too.

PUPU,
The loctite stuff, you can buy it from MB dealer, it is just a small tube, cost is about $20.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320
33 Posts
I had a leak on my 98 ML320 but it was something on the front of the block. Forgive me for not putting what it was but all my receipts are at another location which I will look at shortly. However, my engine looks like you put oil in a hairspray can and just lightly covered the whole damn thing ( I guess b/c the leak was at the front and freeway driving pushed the oil back).

If I remember correctly, MB just slapped two more cylinders on the 3.2 V6 to make the 4.3, so you might want to keep an eye on this problem since I am assuming the blocks are more or less identical (again let me look at the records to post what it was). By the way with summer coming I don't see a reason to have those stupid covers on in the first place as it just holds in heat.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fkong777 said:

Fkong777, you're right, I got things all mixed up. It has nothing to do with the head gasket. This is all in the valve cover gasket area - actually, not even because all the mess is on the valve cover. The gasket areas are actually dry - the areas that I can access. I think it's the collector thing that supradupe mentioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts