Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML350
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a dealer driven 2007 Infiniti Fx35 for $36k which has the best packages included in it.
msrp was $45k. It has 1,000 miles on it only.

I love the ml350, but this is a hell of a deal, what do you think? highs/lows of the FX35? I also understood that it takes premium fuel but it's not required.

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
300 Posts
Reading the signature of your thread I have to ask why you would even bother to post this? Sell your ML, go buy the FX and find something useful to do with your time other than venting. Other than looks I think the FX would be a fine vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Get rid of your old archaic ML, the new 06-08 ML350 is far better vehicle, and so is the FX35.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Dealer-driven FX might be a thrashed loaner or demo car.

Plan to use premium gas with both cars.

But pros/cons:

FX35 - ugly body (probably due for a restyle soon which will impact resale value later), poor cargo space, more horsepower, better reliability.

ML350 - attractive design, better rear seat and cargo room, 7 speed tranny, slightly better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
300 Posts
I have to appologize. After re-reading your post I realized you have an '03ML and from what I've read I understand better your feelings. Newer ML's are much better but still not perfect. Infiniti's are probably more reliable and have more standard features, but I still like the styling of the ML over the FX.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Speaking of FX35 re-style (see below from Edmunds) because info is out already. So now the dealer's used FX is dated.

"The second-generation Infiniti FX35 is all-new for 2009 and has a considerably more polarizing, some say shocking, design than the vehicle it replaces. The nose is longer, more sharklike, complete with wide-set headlights and metallic "gills." Sheetmetal and accents are all-new from the wavy, dark chrome grille to the redesigned taillights. Inside, the cabin also has been updated and is more in line with the interiors of the M35/M45 and recently refreshed G35/G37. "

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Yeah, I've had a few problems with Infiniti- some of which have not been resolved (05 G35) and that has soured me a little. Customer service wasn't great and neither was the quality of the car. Once again, this is just my experience.

At the same time, obviously you don't like the ML, which being that I've had little to no problems whatsoever with mine, I'm starting to wonder if my experiences with cars are just completely opposite from the norm.

Take a look at the new ML, MB has learned a lot from the first generation.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Good distinction on quality, since Toyota and Honda are the leaders. Nissan and Infinity are not at the top of list, even if they are ahead of Mercedes.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Well, just about anything is going to be better then a first gen ML. A 'demo' vehicle isn't something you want. Do you know how those loaner/demo cars are treated in 'only 1000 miles'??? Like trash. They are abused and then abused some more. They may have been in an accident and then got repaired (which wouldn't show up on CARFAX!!). Don't buy demo or loaners, ever. If you are going to get an FX, then get a CPO or a new one. If new, I'd wait for the redesign which is just around the bend.

·
Registered
His 2013 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Hers 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Kids 2010 "4Matic" Impreza
334 Posts
I too had the same decision to make, and chose the ML. The FX35 was nice, and a loaded one comparably equipped to a P3 ML, was +-$8K less.

The FX35 didn't have a DIESEL option, and the road feel of the FX was substandard to the ML. The ML also felt more able to do off road chores and the 4Matic handle the snow during the test drive better.

All things considered, the 27+ MPG for the ML CDI won the case, plus...
I now drive a Benz.:D

·
Registered
2003 ML350
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, just about anything is going to be better then a first gen ML. A 'demo' vehicle isn't something you want. Do you know how those loaner/demo cars are treated in 'only 1000 miles'??? Like trash. They are abused and then abused some more. They may have been in an accident and then got repaired (which wouldn't show up on CARFAX!!). Don't buy demo or loaners, ever. If you are going to get an FX, then get a CPO or a new one. If new, I'd wait for the redesign which is just around the bend.
I don't think you understand, this was not a loaner of any type. The fx35 was brand new off of the truck late last year in 2007. The dealer drove it for 1,000 miles. The orig. price was $44,500 and they want to sell it to me for $36,500 plus provide me with a 5.3% loan for 72 months. That is very HARD to beat, my credit union will not even go under 6.99% for a new car loan. The carfax thing does scare me a bit, but none the less this is a great deal. I am undecided still.

·
Registered
ML 550, Arctic White, and the good stuff...
14 Posts
The FX35 will get a face lifted for 2009. They want to offload their 2008 models ASAP. $36,500 is a great price, but it IS considered used. Again, no one knows what happened to the FX in those 1000 miles. It definitely can or was a loaner vehicle that was trashed. Mercedes is currently offering 3.9% for 66. The beats the 5.3% they're offering you. If you plan to take all of the 72 months, then the interested would offset the price difference compared to ML. It's also a great time to get a ML as the 2009 will get a face lifted. Either way, it's a win win situation for you no matter what you choose. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I don't think you understand, this was not a loaner of any type. The fx35 was brand new off of the truck late last year in 2007. The dealer drove it for 1,000 miles. The orig. price was $44,500 and they want to sell it to me for $36,500 plus provide me with a 5.3% loan for 72 months. That is very HARD to beat, my credit union will not even go under 6.99% for a new car loan. The carfax thing does scare me a bit, but none the less this is a great deal. I am undecided still.
Yes we understand that it's not a loaner, it's a demo, which could easily have been thrashed too. Price is good, it should be since it's a used car of an old/obsolete version of the FX (since everybody knows the redesigned 2009 FX is coming soon). Why are you scared about the carfax, what does it show?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So if you really think that's it's a great deal, go right ahead. Whatever makes you happy. Just keep in mind that you were advised by fellow forum members that this FX has been driven for 1000 miles before being sold to you. Also, consider a redesigned FX by next year; by then this FX will look as an older model.:)

·
Registered
2003 ML350
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if you really think that's it's a great deal, go right ahead. Whatever makes you happy. Just keep in mind that you were advised by fellow forum members that this FX has been driven for 1000 miles before being sold to you. Also, consider a redesigned FX by next year; by then this FX will look as an older model.:)
exactly, why should we take a big hit on depreciation when the 2009's are on their way, thanks

·
Registered
2003 ML350
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some fx owners that I spoke to said that although premium fuel is recommended it is not required. i remember when i owned my ml350 everyone kept saying that if premium isn't used the engine can be damaged and the warranty is void. the infiniti dealer i spoke to said this is false. they told me if i use regular unleaded i might experience less fuel mpg and possiibly some engine knocking once in a while, but otherwise it is something i can do. with $200/barrel on the way i am looking at all angles. any suggestions?

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Some fx owners that I spoke to said that although premium fuel is recommended it is not required. i remember when i owned my ml350 everyone kept saying that if premium isn't used the engine can be damaged and the warranty is void. the infiniti dealer i spoke to said this is false. they told me if i use regular unleaded i might experience less fuel mpg and possiibly some engine knocking once in a while, but otherwise it is something i can do. with $200/barrel on the way i am looking at all angles. any suggestions?
If it says 'required' then you must use 93. If it says 'recommended', then you can safely get away with lesser grades (I'd mix in 93 every now and then).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts