Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was looking and have been looking at 2003 and 2004 s500's for about a year now but have not made the decision on buying. There is a wholesale place near where I live and an 2003 s500 with every option including wood steering wheel, amg body kit and brakes, etc. The price is $29,999 with 50,000 miles. I was wondering what do you guys think these car will be going for in about 6months to a year and half from now? I just think it will be best to wait for prices to come down even further. Also, does anybody know of a site to check the auction prices of cars dealers are paying and the predicted prices of used cars in the future? Any help would be appreciated, thanks Chris.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hi. I was looking and have been looking at 2003 and 2004 s500's for about a year now but have not made the decision on buying. There is a wholesale place near where I live and an 2003 s500 with every option including wood steering wheel, amg body kit and brakes, etc. The price is $29,999 with 50,000 miles. I was wondering what do you guys think these car will be going for in about 6months to a year and half from now? I just think it will be best to wait for prices to come down even further. Also, does anybody know of a site to check the auction prices of cars dealers are paying and the predicted prices of used cars in the future? Any help would be appreciated, thanks Chris.
No one can predict the future except that we know for sure the price is not going up!!!!
I dont know how cheap you want it to get till you buy, but they will never be free....Just cheap. Time = more miles= less expensive car= more problems.

you can always check KBB and NADA for Avg values in your area, and also compare them to autotrader, and even Ebay to see what people are "actually" buying and at what prices.

BUt if you've been looking for a year for a used car and haven't bought anything yet with so many of these cars out in the marketplace, I dont think you will ever find what you are looking for so you might want to consider adjusting your wants a little bit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mikey33,

In 1997, I bought a new S320. It was my mainstay vehicle until early last year after 165,000 miles. I traded it (in purchasing my spouse's GL450 in April 2007) when it became unreliable for my daily seventy-five mile commute.

During the last few months of ownership of the 1997 S320 and into the summer, I agonized over purchasing the S550 4-Matic. As I commute into mid-town NYC, I was not enamoured with handing daily the keys of a $100,000 car to a car parking attendant. On the other hand, I knew I would be unhappy with a lesser but more reasonably priced vehicle, such as the Lexus LS460.

I have never puchased a pre-owned vehicle as I always felt a transitional owner was less likely to treat properly the car. I nonetheless researched CPO vehicles. I was quite amazed at the price differential between a 2008 S550 4-Matic and a prior-generation 2006 S-Class 4-Matic. Intellectually, the differential makes sense given the generation difference and, of course, the years.

During late 2007, I purchased a 2006 S430 4-Matic with 17,000 miles for about $55,000. The previous owner treated the vehicle well and, of course, the price was right. I was less focused on whether or not the price would go lower. Instead, my decision factors were:

- The existence of a prior owner translated into an extension of the normal warranty to six years / 100,000 miles.
- I bought from MB Manhattan, which is owned by the manufacturer. I felt that the company-owned dealer was more-than-thorough about the certification process.
- For the $40,000-plus price differential (to a new vehicle), I could easily afford to pay non-warranted expenses.
- People are awed by the S-Class even though it's not the current generation.

I will now happily entertain the CPO market for my next S-Class purchase.

Yes...you can purchase at a lower price by waiting longer. Whether it's a 2006 in my case or a 2003 / 2004 in your case, the fact is that the pricing reflects the market value associated with each "layer" of age, mileage, features, etc. The internet age helps equalize price differences within layers. I would suggest that you consider whether a, say, $2500 difference from delaying is worth the foregone satisfaction of owning the vehicle for that period. Also, all else being equal, the population of available well-running vehicles in your desired vintage shrinks daily. Therefore, the likelihood of finding a good buy also diminishes.

Hope that perspective helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Straight out of the Dec 3, 2007 wholesale book (black book), a 2003 S500 with sport package had an average wholesale of $26,900. A 2002 was $22,100 and a 2001 was $19,700. Subtract $1000, $800, $600 if no sport package for the respective year.

I bought a fully loaded 2003 S500 with no sport package and 56,000 mlies for $24,300 in December. That was at a wholesale auction. Original window sticker was $92,755. It does have the AMG wheels and is in mint condition.

Other than the sport package and the 4matic, options add nothing at the wholesale level.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Last Fall, I agonized over a 2003 S600 or 2007 S550. The S600 was a CPO with 21,000 miles and nearly evey option, including Keyless Go, AMG Sport, Rear side sunshades, and Drive Dynamic seats. The MB dealer wanted $43,500. A similar car at that dealership is now $36,000. I think the W220s will continue to decline for some time until the price differential justifies its purchase over the newer, more advanced W221s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought 2001 S430 Sport Package blk,blk 19,400Mi for $27K. Worth every penny, always garaged, never driven in rain, owner had other two Benz to drive so didn't put any miles. I could have bought similar car with higher miles and not well maintain like this for around $22K.
In my opinion it's better to pay few more thousands for well cared car than try to find the cheapest priced one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts