Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there is serious thinking about the future of the G Wagen. Graz is ready to go on and Stuttgart also, when some MB Importers in the world are ready to go on with the G.
When this will work, then the line will be shortened, no more SWB, no more Convertibles, only LWB with 8cyl. diesel and gas.
Could be interesting, because then the new 7 speed auto trans will be the next step ....[:D]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
RE: Future of the G Wagen ......2007 +

Thomas,

when you say "go on", what do you mean? [?] [:)] Also, what's your source?

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts

as a fellow German I would read Thomas' "ready to go on" as "bereit, weiterzumachen" = willing to continue (production).

Lets keep bugging MBUSA and Stuttgart headquarters with our demand for a continued G.

Harald

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts

That's the best news I've heard in a very long time!!! [:D] [:D] Thanks Harald and Thomas!! [:D]

Let's continue to bug them for a... DUTCH, you can fill this one in buddy. [;)] [:)]

With the recent incentives that George W. has passed for Americans who purchase vehicles with diesel engines, it would make sense for MB to offer a diesel engine in the USA as an engine option for the G. Especially if it's a ... DUTCH fill this one also, buddy! [:D] [;)] [:)]

And for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about...

CoughcoughSTRIPPEDDOWNLWBW461G270CDIJUSTLIKETHEARMOUREDGFORSALETOTHEMILITARYANDGOVERNMENTScoughcough

[:D] [:D] [:p] [^] [8)]

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts

After sending an Email to Juergen A. of DCAG - I received a response indicating that there were issues regarding safety equipment, economy, etc. that would limited the current design.

I wrote back, indicating the desire to see an evolutionary change in the G, and not the radical shift reflecting a modified ML Klass design. It was apparent to me that the final decision was not yet made to stop the G, and that the input of the public actually mattered.

I also made an attempt to discuss the retro trends currently making major news in the 4X4, truck, and auto arena. The Chrysler 300, for example, is a retro appearing vehicle that is leading the 5% sales growth in the US market for DC, over the losses of Ford and GM. And the several other vehicles trending toward retro, but modern vehicles.

I pressed him about a civilian version of the 461 (Worker), and more directly, the use of five cylinder direct injection diesel technology (270). I noted what I thought was strong interest in a diesel that offered both modest performance with excellent economy - some of us are "Green minded" too. From his initial response, I could not tell if he was aware of the progress in the US to offer clean diesel fuels in the near future, but I can only assume that he would know about that.

I await his second reply.

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

4x4abc - 5/4/2005 8:47 AM

as a fellow German I would read Thomas' "ready to go on" as "bereit, weiterzumachen" = willing to continue (production).
Harald
Right,I used " go on " because the chapter was closed normally, but even in the past the G Wagen had a life of a cat ( seven ), we will see ....

·
Registered
92 300GDS, 87 280GEL
60 Posts

Apparently the new G is now going to be called the GL. DCCG are currently trying to win a contract with the Australian Army to supply the G as their light utility vehicle. This will mean right hand drive, so that should be interesting if they win that. The 270 CDI engine is also going to be discontinued soon and replaced with the 3 Litre V6, I imagine they have enough stock of the engines to fit all the Canadian ones, but I expect the Australians will be offered the 280CDI V6. There is supposed to be a meeting at DCCG occurring roughly in the middle of this month to decide the future of the G. Certain sources have told me that the new GL-Class as it will be called is very poor off road compared to the G, It does have independent suspension and only has a centre and rear locking differential. I say LONG LIVE THE G!!

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts

I've been corresponding with some of the powers to be in Stuttgart. The letter campaign is getting heard.

There is a list of contacts in this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1206076&start=31&posts=44&fid=30

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I honestly hope you guys are right....

... and that folks on the other end of those e-mails are giving them some weight in their decision making process.

But the cynical business person in me says that, at least in the USA, the disappearing sales figures and the numbers of Gs languishing on dealers' new and lease-return lots, will speak a lot louder than a few (hundred even) e-mails.

To furnish a G like we want would also violate the DCAG market segmentation structure. If they're going to bring a capable diesel off-roader to the US (and they are) it'll have Jeep badging, not Mercedes. Look around. You still can't buy a Sprinter van at a Mercedes dealership, but you can buy one with a big Dodge Ram emblem on the front.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts

I wrote MB again a few days back and received an email that says

Sehr geehrter Herr Mailänder,

ich nehme an, dass Sie zu dieser Anfrage am ehesten Auskunft geben können.

Johann Romirer
[email protected]
My broken understanding of the German language says that the letter will be forwarded to Herr Mailander (who's that?). Anyone know who Johann Romirer is?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks like there will be pickup version

to compete with Escalade EXT. At least according to Autoweek. See http://www.autoweek.com/toc.cms for the May 9, 2005 issue (may not be online yet).

I dont know why MB would not put this body style on the M class, makes more sense for the grocery getters than on G chassis.

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts

We lost the g wagen here in the uk in 97. Because of a class thing called snobbery by MB UK. I remember when I was editor of our club magazine Jurgen Achilles called me and asked I would call some MB dealerships in the UK to see if they would potentially take back the G wagen. Out of 4 only one replied yes.

I would ask this, would the G have had the potential here in the UK if MBUk made the effort. I doubt it but for only a few avid enthusiasts. Lets face it all good things come to an end. And it will end much to the disgust of us all [V]. However its only in the last 5 years that a 30 year old vehicle called the pinzgauer has been recognised as a vehicle to be reckoned with. Maybe some one except us will realise the G is in the same league.

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts

This tour in Graz can answer many questions....[8D]

But the thing i do not understand is that to import a G in Brazil i had to gave the advance in may to receive the car in november. I seens a very busy line !!!!!!

Maybe they dont make money with the Gs quality.

I dont know. Can someone explain me?

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts

TH - 5/4/2005 2:14 AM

Well, there is serious thinking about the future of the G Wagen. Graz is ready to go on and Stuttgart also, when some MB Importers in the world are ready to go on with the G.
When this will work, then the line will be shortened, no more SWB, no more Convertibles, only LWB with 8cyl. diesel and gas.
Could be interesting, because then the new 7 speed auto trans will be the next step ....[:D]

Do you have fresh news?

regards Zé

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Zé Bocaina - 6/8/2005 7:47 AM

TH - 5/4/2005 2:14 AM

Do you have fresh news?

regards Zé
Well, there is no decision made. The main discussion is the adaption from the new engines and transmission into the G-Wagen.
The 5 liter is no problem, because that one is in the new ML164, the following 5,5l can be switched then, Diesel is a problem, the new 7 speed auto trans is a problem....and some other things. Problem means expensive based on output.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts

I suppose i'm dragging this off topic, but i think the development of 7 speed tranny's is silly and driven by marketing hooligans. They really oughta be spending their money (regardless of market desire) on continuously variable trannys), for one they'll get you faster 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times. They get better in town mileage as well. The Nissan Murano with a v6 and a CVT is a fair bit faster than it's close cousin the infinity FX... I think almost as fast as the V8 FX.

Nissan makes a CVT capable of handling some 450 horsepower, but i heard it had trouble dealing with the -40F temperatures in the mid west. I'm not sure how well they can manage engine braking though... i know they do it... but how well...

·
Registered
'72 350sl & g500
597 Posts

The local Chicago Mercedes dealer told me that the next G wagon (2006), for the US, will be made in alabama.... and from the pictures i've seen, it looks like a really big ML..... If you havent seen pics, email me and ill forward you the pics. the classic G wagon is SOOO much better. My 2 cents.... [:D]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts

spots350sl - 6/9/2005 2:21 AM

The local Chicago Mercedes dealer told me that the next G wagon (2006), for the US, will be made in alabama.... and from the pictures i've seen, it looks like a really big ML..... If you havent seen pics, email me and ill forward you the pics. the classic G wagon is SOOO much better. My 2 cents.... [:D]
Those pictures have been posted here many times. Do a search.

Word is that idea has been dropped; and, if not, it will not be called a "G".

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

DUTCH - 6/9/2005 12:06 PM

spots350sl - 6/9/2005 2:21 AM

Those pictures have been posted here many times. Do a search.

Word is that idea has been dropped; and, if not, it will not be called a "G".
The name will be : GL
based on a ML164.
Can do nothing more than a regular ML 164 with the off road pro option (´2 lockers and air suspension ), but with bigger wheels and a bigger body.
Great for driving the kids to school and after that to visit some malls ...[:D]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts