Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300D NA 5 speed E-spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is is possible to replace the fusebox with one that takes the modern style of automotive fuses? They seem to be much easier to find than the style in the W123.

Do any of you know a good source of those fuses that our old Benzes take?

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
NO! Don't do that!!! Please.

Ok, now that I got the above off my chest, you have a few solutions to finding the right fuses.

1. Ebay. There is a fellow who sells the correct Copper/brass ceramic fuses. Those are the ones you want, not the ceramic and aluminum looking ones. Cost: ~$12

2. Your dealer. Just go in with your fuse box cover. Underneath that cover should be a legend by which to tote up the different fuses you'll need... remember to get spares. Cost: $50-$75.

3. My favorite for any of your MB Motoring needs. Jonathan Hodgman: Blue Ridge MB and AMG East » About

He is an excellent MB mechanic (in your area, lucky you) and can help you with parts and repairs. Tell him Sergio/Crazy in MA referred you. he should be able to get you all the fuses you'll need for a nominal fee (compared to the dealer). Cost: probably $10.

IMHO, unless you've got lurking problems, you won't go through many fuses. If this is a new car for you, you might want to clean out the fuse box and relays, and replace all the fuses... you're electrical system will thank you for it. Don't forget the strip fuses for the blower motor and the glow plug relay.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Fuses are about twenty cents from the online sellers. You can change every fuse in the box for a couple of bucks.

Len

·
Registered
'84 300D NA 5 speed E-spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO! Don't do that!!! Please.

Ok, now that I got the above off my chest, you have a few solutions to finding the right fuses.

1. Ebay. There is a fellow who sells the correct Copper/brass ceramic fuses. Those are the ones you want, not the ceramic and aluminum looking ones. Cost: ~$12

2. Your dealer. Just go in with your fuse box cover. Underneath that cover should be a legend by which to tote up the different fuses you'll need... remember to get spares. Cost: $50-$75.

3. My favorite for any of your MB Motoring needs. Jonathan Hodgman: Blue Ridge MB and AMG East » About

He is an excellent MB mechanic (in your area, lucky you) and can help you with parts and repairs. Tell him Sergio/Crazy in MA referred you. he should be able to get you all the fuses you'll need for a nominal fee (compared to the dealer).

INHO, unless you've got lurking problems, you won't go through many fuses. If this is a new car for you, you might want to clean out the fuse box and relays, and replace all the fuses... you're electrical system will thank you for it.
Why would it be a bad idea to retrofit the car to the modern style fuses?

I am planning to replace the fuses though. Some of them look kind of nasty. On one, the flat strip of metal turned into a strip of metal with a loop in it that sticks about .25" above the fuse cartridge.

Are these fuses the same type that are in the W201 cars? My dad used to have a 190E and he might still have some fuses lying around.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,569 Posts
"There is a fellow who sells the correct Copper/brass ceramic fuses. Those are the ones you want, not the ceramic and aluminum looking ones. Cost: ~$12"

Don't use the ones "lying around"!

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
Autohausaz dot com sells them for cheap as well. They are the copper ones.

I have not replaced a strip fuse fora blower motor on a w123. Where is it located?

GP relay, different story. Shorted GP popped that fuse.

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
Autohausaz dot com sells them for cheap as well. They are the copper ones.

I have not replaced a strip fuse fora blower motor on a w123. Where is it located?

GP relay, different story. Shorted GP popped that fuse.
I wasn't sure whether the Autohaus ones were brassy as apposed to the aluminum looking ones... Autohaus is pretty good, so that's another option.

The blower motor have a strip fuse located in a little black box forward of the driver's position in the engine compartment. I tried to find a pic of it, but I don't have one, and the car is not currently here... if you need a pic, I can probably get one for you later today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts