Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I first got my 560SEL I bought a package of replacement fuses and a couple other items from MBenzSource (or something like that) and I have some questions/thoughts. First....I am NOT complaining about the company-they did quick ship and nice helpful instructions.
But, since replacing all the fuses, three have blown in the last 7 months. Yesterday #15 antenna, seat belt light etc.etc. went out.
Now: never gave this a lot of thought, but is there a large quality difference in those things? Are some brands better than others? It's not a BIG deal because they ARE easy to replace, but it is something I've never (in all these years!) given much thought to.
What do you guys think?:confused:

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
I bought several packets from Jono at BlueRidge easy six years ago and have used two fuses in total (since doing a complete replace of the fuse box when I got them).

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,521 Posts
Some fuses are crap. Particularly the silver/alloy ones. Get copper or brass if you can. The alloy ones can fail without burning out.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to call Atlanta on Monday, but where in the world do I find the actual COPPER /ceramic fuses? Everything I find is some sort of aluminum or "silver metal" of some sort, including the ones I have in my car now. I replaced every fuse in there with the set from the Company I named above......but they don't look like all copper and brass and ceramic to me.
Are you guys sure there IS such a thing any more? I spent a lot of time today searching the 'net and found nothing.

·
Registered
1983 380SEL
352 Posts
I am going to call Atlanta on Monday, but where in the world do I find the actual COPPER /ceramic fuses? Everything I find is some sort of aluminum or "silver metal" of some sort, including the ones I have in my car now. I replaced every fuse in there with the set from the Company I named above......but they don't look like all copper and brass and ceramic to me.
Are you guys sure there IS such a thing any more? I spent a lot of time today searching the 'net and found nothing.
This is the set of 60 fuses that I purchased for less than $13.00, including shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=300750398448

Mercedes Ceramic Fuse Set NEW 8-16-25 AMP Set NEW FLOSSER | eBay

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
The fuses that my local Autozone sells appear to be the brass-type fuses. They seem to work fine...the only time I've blown fuses I've found a short which caused them to blow...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out the fuses in my car ARE the ones from MBenzesource. The actual "fuse" materials is some sort of silver medal-stuff between the posts. I understand the comment about a "short being the cause..." and checked that out. The fuses that quit were all different and I am left to conlude that perhaps the terminals themselves were not as clean as I thought.
I will also check out the Ebay listing. But the MBenzesource folks are very helpful.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Get the Silvery(aluminum almost assuredly), ones out and get some like Talkietime purchased. Sometimes they are as cheap as $6-7.00 a set that are copper and ceramic from a supplier here in SO CAL. I bought 3 sets a couple months ago to replace all the fuses in 3 cars and still have several spares in all three colors. they were not packaged as shown, but in separate plastic baggies.they seem to be fine. I cleaned the contacts before I installed them too.

FWIW: The fuses from Autozone are plastic and will melt before the fuse goes. Just a FYI. Been there and done that and cleaned up the mess. They are good enough to get you going if stranded though.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I ordered a set too. Thanks you guys. I think! Ha Ha Ha!

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
I spent an afternoon going around all the terminals with Wurth cleaner and a brass wire brush, I cleaned all the contact strips in the fuse box and replaced the fuses for the ceramic/brass/copper ones.
Everything works properly now,made lots of difference, even the radio stopped buzzing..

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, just to follow and conlude. The fuse I found BAD the other day was NOT one of the Mercedessource fuses!! Somehow I had overlooked it when I replaced all the fuses. I now have a good supply of brass/copper fuses and more on the way. It CAN be done....just look closely and ask for ideas, like I did.
But...to reiterate what others told me long ago......when you get one of these old beasts check the f*^$^#$^% fuses first and change them ALL out.

·
Registered
1973 W107 350SL, 1985 W123 280TE, 1983 W123 230E, 1996 W202 C280
457 Posts
Does any body know what the storage life of these copper/ceramic fuses would be? Have found a large stash of old stock.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
That's one of the good things with copper fuses, they do not corrode in an unused state whereas the alloy ones do.
The only thing better than copper as a conductor is silver.
It is however recommended that fuses be changed every 5 years regardless of visual condition, I am sure that some of my alloy fuses had never been changed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts