Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
02 CLK55 Cab 85300CD
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today for the first time I actually read the yellow, paper insert describing each fuse position-(on my 85 300CD.

One of the positions is listed as -Optical horn-

I think it was #6 position- Any guesses on what this is?

I can't believe Benz would allow a typo in such a perfect car (were they trying for 'optional' horn?). Is it referring to both the horn and optical- meaning the fiberoptics behind the dash switches? I won't lose sleep over it but thought it was worth posting-

·
Registered
1982 280ce Australia
81 Posts
Sorry mate !!!....but I think you got it wrong

It reads optional Horn
....which is for a 2 tone hwy- City horn.....Air horns

·
Registered
424 Posts
Maybe wrong translation? Do you have headlamp flasher funktion? When you pull the combi switch, do you flash the upper beams?

The german word is "Licht hupe", which would be something like "light horn". Thats close to optical horn.

Take out the fuse and see, if you eliminate this funktion.

Edit: I just went and had a look: "Lichthupe" is fuse 6; extra horn is fuse 14.

·
Registered
424 Posts
No, at least here there was an extra loud horn available ("Fanfare"), for the guys who wanted to blow away the slow traffic on the Autobahn at 200km/h. There was a swich for it on the center console, next to the heated window swich. Rare extra.

·
Registered
83 300D Turbo
75 Posts
blitzgritz said:
Sorry mate !!!....but I think you got it wrong

It reads optional Horn
....which is for a 2 tone hwy- City horn.....Air horns
I think you're both correct.

Every one I've see states "Optical" but it should have stated "Optional".

I always wondered what an "Optical Horn" was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question... I took the #6 horn fuse out. Will that stop the horn from working? It started blaring on its own at 10:00 p.m. and earlier today while driving. I don't want it going off in the middle of the night.. 😒

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question... I took the #6 horn fuse out. Will that stop the horn from working? It started blaring on its own at 10:00 p.m. and earlier today while driving. I don't want it going off in the middle of the night.. 😒
1981 240d Mercedes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts