Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CDT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me hint as to how to remove the fuse box cover? I have turned the black knob but cannot get the cover off.
Thanks

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
do not use a screw driver.. you have to remove the two knobs.. then with some acrobatics remove the cover.. its reverse of putting it in..you will soon understand why people say these cars were engineered around the fuse box

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,919 Posts
TheDon04 said:
do not use a screw driver.. you have to remove the two knobs.. then with some acrobatics remove the cover.. its reverse of putting it in..you will soon understand why people say these cars were engineered around the fuse box
exactly... i will never understand why the fuse box is where it is

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,401 Posts
over engineered is the reason why... would you rather fumble with a dusty fuse box cover in your new members only jacket or bring it to the dealer?.. but alot of the things on this car were engineered with the mechanic in mind. to take a wheel of and on is the easiest thing. none of those stupid wheel studs just prop the wheel on the nub and spin it until the holes line up.. easy as pie

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Have you ever tried to work on fuses under the dash like many American cars?!!

Once the nobs are off let the cover drop straight down to the right toward the fender, don't try to pull it directly away. Continue to pull toward the fender and when clear pull the cover out.

·
Registered
1982 300CDT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't gotten that far. I am turning the knobs (ccw) and they are not getting loose. My fingers are getting Raw! I am tempted to pry the cover open, but know I will regret it in the end. What am I doing Wrong?
thanks

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
You’ll need to get a rag and a vice grip or channel lock or the like. Cover one of the knobs with the rag and use the pliers to get it loose. Be careful not to fracture the plastic knobs!

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Not many, just enough to loosen it to turn with your fingers. I hope the threads aren’t stripped.

·
Registered
1982 300CDT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the knob might be stripped on the screw. I have turned each at lease 20 revolutions with out any luck

·
Registered
1982 300CDT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it off. Had to cut the knobs and screw off. The threads a frozen in the base of the fuse box. Thats the next project. Thanks for your advise

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
so the fuse box on my 280CE is supposed to be the biggest bitch to get off?
When i got the crack in my firewall fixed up the brake booster was taken off to get to it, and i assumed it was put back incorrectly or something because i could never get it off after taking off the 2 screw thingys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts