Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.3
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'91 190e 2.3, owned the car for nearly 8 years with no electrical problems, had the car serviced for a major repair (tensioner, fan belt et al...) got the car back and fuse 13 was blown, replaced it with a new white 8v fuse (as directed on fuse box) arched and blew immediately, have tried a couple more times subsequently with same result. Can't understand where a short could be coming from, I used the radio just days before it was serviced with no issues. I've taken the radio out, checked connections, checked the wiring in the trunk light, I don't see anything stripped. Just wondering if anyone knows of any "high risk" areas that I should be looking for a short in. Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
They may of screwed up the diagnostic system when they were working on it, since it is on the same fuse. If you can't see anything obvious, you could take it back and get them to fix it, since they are the ones who messed it up in the first place.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.3
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now automatic antenna doesn't work!!!

Thanks for the advice 1984babybenz, I called up my mechanic and told him the issue and I clearly said that there was nothing wrong with the electronics in the car before the service was done. To make a long story short, I had to wait about three weeks to bring the car back because he was busy and the next day he tells me that he put a new white 8v fuse in slot #13 and everything was working correctly (I had put 4 different white fuses in, each one blew immediately.) So I go and pick up the car and everything works EXCEPT the automatic antenna when the radio is on FM/AM tuner!! I never once experienced this problem before in the 8 years i've owned the car. I was already pissed off about not having a radio or inside light for 3 weeks so I just took the car home and decided not to pursue it with him.

Here's what I know: The mechanic did not touch my radio (aftermarket sony xplod cd HU professionally installed in 2003), nor did he touch any of the wiring in the car.

I took the HU out and made certain that the blue power antenna wire was connected firmly to the harness and that the large black antenna reception plug was firmly installed in the HU along with all the other wires.

When the radio is set to AM/FM tuner you do not hear the motor working, instead its just static in the speakers and no signs of anything working in the antenna yet when switched to CD mode everything works perfectly.

Anyone who might have any advice, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
I had the same problem one time....turned out they put in a white fuse in a place where there was suppose to be a red one. On my 1993 2.6 there is a diagram on the fuse box. Check every single one to make sure its correct. Could be something simple like that...mine kept blowing and my AC kept shutting off...couldnt figure out why....until I double checked everything.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
So I go and pick up the car and everything works EXCEPT the automatic antenna when the radio is on FM/AM tuner!!
---- yet when switched to CD mode everything works perfectly.
Anyone who might have any advice, it is much appreciated.
The radio works on a switched 12v source and the power antenna works on a constant 12v source. That is why the antenna continues to retract after the ignition is shut off. The two 12v sources come from different fuses.
The CD doesn't need the antenna to function properly.

I don't know if this helps but is worth considering when troubleshooting your problem.
Good Luck
Mike

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.3
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry for waiting a couple months before responding, your advice is appreciated, but this problem is still not completely resolved. According to every guide I have ever seen, fuse 13 on a 1991 2.3 is supposed to be white 8 AMP. That is what was in the car before I noticed that it was visibly blown for at least the past 8 years since I bought it. I actually was just on champagnedream's website last night and found this document:

http://www.champagnedream.org/doc/fuse_box_list.jpg

I know it says for MY '84 but there is no footnote on #13 for changes in future years.

Because I could not get radio reception (antenna motor would not function and it was in retracted position) I brought the car to a family friend who has bought, sold, and fixed Benz's for 30 years. On a side note, he actually took a 1982 or '83 jet black SEL and dropped an AMG motor into it and a hydraulic suspension, wooden steering wheel and the works. Anyway, he took the antenna out and gave it a constant 12v source on a spare working battery. No dice, the motor was blown. We went through the excruciatingly time consuming process of cranking the motor by hand to get the antenna up permanently and now I get perfect reception but its annoying, detracts from the look of the car, and not to mention you really could poke an eye out on that thing walking around a dark garage.

Everything else on the circuit works fine: front inside cabin light, hazard lights, cig lighter, radio, amp, clock, trunk lamp. It may have just been that this old hirschmann antenna was about to blow and this was the last straw, but when I take the cover off the fuse box the now new red 16 AMP fuse in #13 is semi-melted and "squirming" not at all how it looks fresh out of the package.

I'm concerned about this for a couple of reasons: I want to replace the antenna but don't want to blow the new unit, start blowing fuses again, or blow (decently expensive) electronics on same circuit. My guess is like 1984babybenz said, they screwed up the diagnostic system when doing the tensioner repair and I have no idea even how to explain this to a new mechanic if it goes that far. thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts