1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 MB S500 Coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
I'm a new MB Guy. BMW Convert.

Just picked up a 1996 S500 with 85,000 miles on it. I have replaced Plugs, Air Filter, Fuel Filter and MAF Sensor. I am getting the following error codes and not sure what to do next.

0170 Right cylinder mixture adaptation reaches limit
0173 Left cylinder mixture adaptation reaches limit
0410 Secondary air injection malfunction function chain
1519 Camshaft timing function chain

Any thoguhts would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
The first two are kinda hard to fix it would require you to reprogram or rechip your engine management, the chip is about 150 bux.
The next one is the air pump issue its located on the passenger side of the motor above the alternator, you will need to get you car to a lift and Inspect the hoses if everything checked out then it will need to be replaced.
Last one is the camshaft position sensor its located at the top front of the motor near the two water temperature sensors.

sent from my HD2 running Android 4.1

·
Registered
1996 MB S500 Coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Function Chain?

When they say "function chain" do they mean chain of events? Or is there a "Function Chain"?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
Chain of events basicly, its just saying something is not as it should be

sent from my HD2 running Android 4.1

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
When they say "function chain" do they mean chain of events? Or is there a "Function Chain"?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
"Function chain" is a term Mercedes uses. Personally, I think it's probably a poor translation of a German word or phrase. My best understanding is that it refers to the procedure of diagnostic checks to go through to find the problem. Or, it may possibly also refer to the set of events that occurs in a system that allows the system to function (the logic, if you will). Maybe "logic chain" is a better English term.

At any rate, don't fret over that phrase. Mixture adaptation codes can be difficult to track as already mentioned. Could be a big vacuum leak causing lean running. Could be an oxygen sensor issue. Could be a leaky fuel injector issue causing rich running.

P0410 is a generic fault for the air injection system. There are massive threads on this forum on this code. A simple seach will turn it up.

I would search for more info on P1519 on this forum as well. It may be related to a cam adjuster solenoid fault. I think we just had a discussion on this recently.

Brett

1 - 5 of 5 Posts