Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2001 e320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Funny DIY FAIL - Now VICTORY (see post p. 3)

Notice: No animals were harmed during the making of this FAIL (including me and any kickable pets)

So I decide to do my motor mounts, transmission mount, rear diff gear oil and rotate my tires all together as I feel like once I have the car up on jack stands, may as well attack it all at once. The following events occurred:

- jack up car safely
- drop engine cover
- take a long look at the job ahead to make sure I understand it
- assess highest risk of failure areas (take note of this step)
- identify top bolt on motor mount looks like only tough part (aside from the contortionist training required)
- go fetch 16mm socket - hmmmm, set #1 goes 15, 17
- try set #2 and again 15, 17
- look at other 2 rails and find 2 16mm DEEP sockets
- test fit, works - except with no room for the ratchet
- discover I don't have the finger strength of Superman to undo without a ratchet
- insert several minutes of salty language here
- determine total FAIL can be mitigated into partial FAIL
- do rear diff oil and rotate tires, decide transmission mount looks so easy it will happen with motor mounts next round
- shower and cook myself a ribeye with a bottle of wine

Determining highest risk point saved me from getting further down the road and having to reassemble things without progress.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,104 Posts
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that... I live my life by the Clint Eastwood motto of, "A man's gotta know his limitations.."

Better to play it safe. The only thing I was disappointed with, though, was the fact you were unable to remove the upper bolts with your fingers alone!!

Seriously, though... why not go to sears and get a 16mm ratcheting spanner? It would be cheap enough...

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
2001 e320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously, though... why not go to sears and get a 16mm ratcheting spanner? It would be cheap enough...
Two other cars in household, neither within 50 miles of course!

Is spanner easier than stubby ratchet?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that... I live my life by the Clint Eastwood motto of, "A man's gotta know his limitations.."

Better to play it safe. The only thing I was disappointed with, though, was the fact you were unable to remove the upper bolts with your fingers alone!!

Cheers,
G
Says the guy with the Hazet sponsor ship, GAWD every DIY you do i'd think you got paid just by product placement alone! This DIY is sponsored in part by NIKE and the Endowment for the Arts and by viewers like you ....I'm so jealous, I wanna car lift.. so much for keeping up with the jones ;)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Says the guy with the Hazet sponsor ship, GAWD every DIY you do i'd think you got paid just by product placement alone! This DIY is sponsored in part by NIKE and the Endowment for the Arts and by viewers like you ....I'm so jealous, I wanna car lift.. so much for keeping up with the jones ;)
You forgot the primary sponsor: ROLEX. :D

OP, this isn't a fail. You figured it out before you got into it, that's a win.

The stubby is helpful for getting then out, but unless you find the Red S shield on your chest, you will not get them loose with it. A good combo wrench is necessary for that step.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,843 Posts
All I can add is that none of my 4 metric wrenches sets has 16 mm. I used 5/8" in the past and it worked just fine.
One of the way to move a wrench at high torque on job like this is use of huge screwdriver, or other metal tool to rest it against the engine or other solid part and use as a leverage.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,342 Posts
simoncpj -
please remember that this is a working forum. so with that in mind, I'm
prompted to ask, how did you prepare and season the ribeye? thanks.

·
Registered
2002 E320 special edition - 78k (former 1995 E320 owner/wrencher)
134 Posts
Don't feel bad. I'm a pretty seasoned DIY mechanic and found the motor mounts quite difficult. Probably spent 3+ hours tangling with them... ;)

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Hmmmmm, Corporate Sponsorship?..... Free Goodies and Tools?.... Me Likie!....

·
Registered
2005 C240-Retired
626 Posts
simoncpj -
please remember that this is a working forum. so with that in mind, I'm
prompted to ask, how did you prepare and season the ribeye? thanks.
I'm more concerned about the Wine selected. May I suggest V. Satuii's
2005 Preston Cabernet?
From the web site:
It was voted “Best Cabernet & Best Red Wine in Napa Valley” at the 2007 California State Fair. This new vintage is sure to be a collector’s item from the highly regarded 2005 vintage. Deep garnet in color, with rich aromas of plum, black cherry, tobacco leaf and spice. Enormously complex, it has highly-extracted, concentrated flavors of smoky currant, blackberry, vanilla and mocha.

About $60 a bottle.

·
Registered
2001 e320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh, the important stuff

The ribeye was a beautifully marbled dry aged 1.2# piece of grass fed beef from Whole Foods. Preparation was simple with limited seasoning (why hide the taste of the meat) - take the meat out of the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking, heat the Weber up, salt and pepper (kosher coarse grain and ground from a mill), and cook to a nice medium rare.

And since she wasn't home - Tater Tots and an avocado as sides.

Wine was a run of the mill French Burgundy (nothing special). I usually save the good stuff to be shared - just more fun that way.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
One aspect of the beauty of DIY on this job...

Mounts, about $110. Replace in afternoon, 2-3 hours.
That evening...
Two premium steaks: $40
Two premium bottles of wine: $100
Cost: $250
Time spent with a loved one: PRICELESS
Overall satisfaction: PRICELESS

Paying a shop: $350+, at least a half-day of your time to drop off the car and get it back.
Listening to the Rolling Stones on youtube "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (free).

·
Registered
2001 E430, 2015 GLK350
32 Posts
One aspect of the beauty of DIY on this job...

Mounts, about $110. Replace in afternoon, 2-3 hours.
That evening...
Two premium steaks: $40
Two premium bottles of wine: $100
Cost: $250
Time spent with a loved one: PRICELESS
Overall satisfaction: PRICELESS

Paying a shop: $350+, at least a half-day of your time to drop off the car and get it back.
Listening to the Rolling Stones on youtube "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (free).
I like the way you think!!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I like the way you think!!
Yeah me too.

BTW Gulfstream 650 I just noticed you live near Savannah. The GF and I spend a week twice/year on Tybee Island. One of the times we were there I called Gulfstream trying to do a tour. They practically laughed at the request. I'd still like to see the place, do you know of any way we could do that sometime?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
One of the times we were there I called Gulfstream trying to do a tour. They practically laughed at the request. I'd still like to see the place, do you know of any way we could do that sometime?
I'm sure they would LOVE to show you around... "IF" you had the, what, $65 Million? in your pocket!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I'm sure they would LOVE to show you around... "IF" you had the, what, $65 Million? in your pocket!
At least the recession has made them more affordable!!! :D :D

Back to the topic...if you had a Gulfstream, would you undertake DIY repairs on it? :eek: :p

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
.if you had a Gulfstream, would you undertake DIY repairs on it? :eek: :p
YEP!

We used to do all of our own aircraft maintanance. ("Supervised" of course!)

Now, on a G650... I think I'd get my A&P first.. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
LOL G-AMG,

That was the gist of it. All they wanted to know is if we were a potential buyer. And $65 million sounds about right too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts