Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ML350, 2004 ML350
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while in my 2001 C320 I hear an odd thunking sound coming from what I believe the rear of the car (but could be front since it makes a simmilar sound when I lean on the hood). This happens when I have passengers in the back and or items in the trunk. Also...this happens when I am making a turn with either half or full throttle. I have taken everything out of the trunk and still managed to make this funky clunkng noise...

Anyone know what is up???

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Hmm...

Every once in a while in my 2001 C320 I hear an odd thunking sound coming from what I believe the rear of the car (but could be front since it makes a simmilar sound when I lean on the hood). This happens when I have passengers in the back and or items in the trunk. Also...this happens when I am making a turn with either half or full throttle. I have taken everything out of the trunk and still managed to make this funky clunkng noise...

Anyone know what is up???
I have a feeling that it may be a sway bar which is not tightened to spec. Either that or perhaps a worn bushing? If you can replicate it, make sure that you show it to your service advisor or MB technician in person, not simply described on the work order.

·
Registered
E500S4, C240; Sold ML320, '72 280SE, '67 280SL, '86 300E, '87 300SDL
383 Posts
maybe...

...by the way does it do it while and after you have had someone sit in the back.

IMHO, I am not 100% but I believe the seats on the C-class have what I believe a plate plastic or metal that forms the sides on the back rests (side lumbar, where your kineys would be). If you press on them, as some people would do to push themselves into or out of the car, they press the plate that can remain like that for a little while. Then it justs pops back into place making a similar noise like the one you mentioned.

It can be annoying and honestly sounds cheap, not what you and your passangers expect to hear in your 40K car. I haven't brought it up to the SA yet, very seldom do we have passangers in the back anyways.

hope this helps...

·
Registered
E500S4, C240; Sold ML320, '72 280SE, '67 280SL, '86 300E, '87 300SDL
383 Posts
nevermind, just re-read your post, not related....sorry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts