Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,739 Posts
Dear lynns, yr soft top trobbleshooting AD77.30-P-5000A.pdf cannot b viewed..
I can see it OK!

You must have Acrobat reader (free Adobe download) or any other application that can read .pdf files installed on your computer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thank you....printed out, will let you know when we get to the root of its problem.....in the Spring!

Bossier City, LA

·
Registered
march 1993 500SL Europe German spec
8 Posts
If the roof open cycle has failed in 90deg position due to window not being down does the controller need the error code to be reset manually or should the error clear at the next cycle when the roof is next cycled with the window correctly down?

advice required

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the roof open cycle has failed in 90deg position due to window not being down does the controller need the error code to be reset manually or should the error clear at the next cycle when the roof is next cycled with the window correctly down?
Because 129 SL's function differently please fill in your Member Profile so that we can see the year of your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Because 129 SL's function differently please fill in your Member Profile so that we can see the year of your car.
Hi Ive posted for help on my 500sl softtop stopping in 90deg position on opening.
you sent me a message asking for my car and my profile details before anyone could help
I have now set these up so if anyone can help I need to know ...
if I have to clear the original fault code that occurred when the top failed to open due to a busted pass side window motor. I replaced motor and window works but do I have to clear the error code or should it happen automatically.
The hood still stops at 90deg even though windows are now both down

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if I have to clear the original fault code that occurred when the top failed to open due to a busted pass side window motor. I replaced motor and window works but do I have to clear the error code or should it happen automatically.
Try clearing your Diagnostic Trouble Code after reading about your MY93 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1324795-r129-roadster-soft-top-electrical-controller.html#post2419223

·
Registered
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320, 95 E320 cab, Tesla X, Ferrari 360, etc
949 Posts
Is the lower window limit switch working

Hi Ive posted for help on my 500sl softtop stopping in 90deg position on opening.
you sent me a message asking for my car and my profile details before anyone could help
I have now set these up so if anyone can help I need to know ...
jayjaybea,

thanks for updating your profile. The controllers on model years '90-'94 are quite forgiving, and they usually pick up operation after a fault has been cured. Sometimes it is indeed necessary to clear the fault codes as described in the thread lynns has quoted.

However, are you sure that the lower limit switch on the window is working properly? The RST controller must get the signal that both windows are down before it moves the top above the doors or even unlocks the front. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1586766-soft-top-wont-go-all-way.html

Note: there are no window limit switches in model years '95-'02. The later model years rely on counting the revolutions of the window motors, which in turn requires "window synchronization" if the battery has been low or disconnected.

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the advice

I did think that by coincidence as well as the window motor failing the switch also failed at the same time but thought this unlikely.
I located the window microsw and heard it click on/off when I pressed it.
also when the window was down, I could not press it down any more so it is being pushed on by the window.
I guess there could be a fault in the switch even though it sounds as if its clicking on/off.
I will try to access the controller codes socket.
After hunting round the engine compartment Ive only just realised where it must be.
Dohhh!!
Under the large plastic lid held on with a number of screws behind the damper strut.

If it is the window switch, can anyone tell me how to remove it. All I can see are two plastic lugs coming out of the bottom of the door underneath the switch location.
Do these just clip it in or is there a screw somewhere holding it in place.??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well well what a super site this is.

Roof not working yet but looks like I have diagnosed it using all of the info on error codes.
A bit confusing when some posts talk and show pics of the 16 pin version and others the 38 pin.

Turns out I have the 38 pin which is a doddle to access but a bit fiddly with the bit of wire bridging the pins. Its 1 to 21 for the soft top codes not 1 to 10 which must apply to the 16 pin version..

After finding quite a few codes set and reading them twice I finally managed to clear them.
Then on operating the roof it came up with error 17 lhe passenger (LHD) window microswitch fault.
A bit of a coincidence after the motor failed first but that what it says.
I cleared it and it set twice so must be that.

All I need now is some bright spark to tell me the details of how to remove and replace the microswitch.
Also can I simply bridge the microswitch plug to force the window down signal to prove that the roof will work once I fit a new switch.

The sun is coming out now so help please to get the roof working again.

·
Registered
949 Posts
[...] are you sure that the lower limit switch on the window is working properly? The RST controller must get the signal that both windows are down before it moves the top above the doors or even unlocks the front. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1586766-soft-top-wont-go-all-way.html[/url[/quote] [QUOTE="jayjaybea, post: 5802757, member: 380656"] I located the window microsw and heard it click on/off when I pressed it. also when the window was down, I could not press it down any more so it is being pushed on by the window.[/quote] [QUOTE="jayjaybea, post: 5803091, member: 380656"] After finding quite a few codes set and reading them twice I finally managed to clear them. Then on operating the roof it came up with error 17 lhe passenger (LHD) window microswitch fault. A bit of a coincidence after the motor failed first but that what it says. I cleared it and it set twice so must be that.[/quote] This is likely not a coincidence. Check the wires on the switch first. If the switch is still clicking and you think that it is being pushed down properly, then the switch itself is likely still working. You might have accidentally pulled on a wire that was about to loose contact already when you replaced the window motor... Klaus www.tophydraulicsinc.com

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
malfunctioning RST Module ??

Hello Klaus,
I bought a 2000 SL500 with 48K miles. My car battery is in great condition and all of the fuses check OK. The soft top is in like new condition and functions fine but I do have a question for you.

When I put the ignition key in the driver door and turn it either way and hold it the doors lock/unlock but the windows do not open or close as a "convenience". In reviewing my notes and the MB STAR 129 DVD it points to a possible malfunctioning RST Module p/n 129 820 31 26.

Your thoughts please

Regards, Lynn

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hello Klaus,
I bought a 2000 SL500 with 48K miles. My car battery is in great condition and all of the fuses check OK. The soft top is in like new condition and functions fine but I do have a question for you.

When I put the ignition key in the driver door and turn it either way and hold it the doors lock/unlock but the windows do not open or close as a "convenience". In reviewing my notes and the MB STAR 129 DVD it points to a possible malfunctioning RST Module p/n 129 820 31 26.

Your thoughts please

Regards, Lynn
Lynn,

congrats on the "new" SL500! I know you went through a lot of effort finding just the right one for you, and hope you will be happy with it for a long time.

The power for the windows comes directly through the RST controller, and the window functions are controlled by it. Obviously, the doors are locking and unlocking when you turn the key at the door. The door locking and unlocking is not controlled by the RST control module, so there could be an issue with the needed signal getting to the RST controller in the first place. I would assume that such signal would be going from the module that controls the door locks to the RST controller. If I recall correctly, then that module is inside the right quarter panel, near the tank filler pipe and the PSE pump.

Does the convenience feature work with the remote?

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If I recall correctly, then that module is inside the right quarter panel, near the tank filler pipe and the PSE pump.
The N54 (IRCL) module is located behind the passenger airbag as of 9/95.

Does the convenience feature work with the remote?

Klaus
NO, neither the key nor the key fob (remote) will open/close the windows but both will lock/unlock the doors.

Lynn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts