Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By some implausible chance I have ended up with a 2002 E-55 ( Silver exterior, Black Interior, Navig., CD, and wired for Tel). Until now I was mainly interested in the BMW M5 as my dream car, but driving the E55 for the past two weeks has changed my mind about the fuddy duddy MB line. AMG has done a terrific job on the engine, suspension, and the interiors. But the steering is too soft and does not give adequate feel of the road. Also it seems to pull to one side when the tires encounter uneven road surfaces. The Bose audio system had a annoying static but the dealer is trying to fix these things. <br> <br> But the car is a sleeper. I had no idea that an automatic can shift so silky smoothly. Flawless engine response. Flat torque curve over a broad rpm range. <br> <br> Incredible. Now I am a convert. If only I could figure out the minor quirks, I will be really in heaven. <br> <br> Nat Kannan<br> Northern Virginia<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had difficulty wiht the 01 model with drifting to the right, not pulling; but the car would cross three lanes of the interstate if you took your hands the wheel. There was an adjustment made to the caster which really seemed to help. The guys who did it were at Benson Mercedes in Metairie La., the service manager was Todd.I find the steering feel not as direct as the bmw, but there is nothing to do about that. I also found the car to float at 80-100 and there are suspension modifications for that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E55 uses Recirculationg Ball steering rather than Rack-and-pinion variable ratio steering..

This may be one of the things that sets the E-Class apart from some of the newer MB Models and BMW's that use Rack-and-pinion variable ratio steering.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh, excuse me .... but, no ball here:

As of '01, my good friend, ALL US-Model E-Class versions use Rack-and-Pinion with speed-sensitive power assist and integral hydralic damper.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Uh, excuse me .... but, no ball here:

hey drew, you're back. havn't seen your name on posts for some time

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Stewart!

I've always been lurking, but haven't posted in a while ... things have been real busy for me lately.<br> <br> How are things with you & your Beast?<br> <br> Hope all is well, have a great year!<br> <br> Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Great to know ! So the CLK is now the ONLY Recirculating Ball steering vehicle in the MB c....

According to the M-B USA web site, the 2002 G500 still has recirculating ball with power assist along with the SLK and the SL...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want one! What Dealer in VA? Did you get a deal?....

As soon as I sell my E430 I am buying one with the same options. In DC Area.<br> <br> www.E55AMG.com/E430.html

·
Registered
E55
14 Posts
Bringing back this old post - I too have noticed the quick drifts on bumps to one side or the other. Also, the dealer said the car is built to slowly drift to the right as a safety feature, in case you fall asleep at the wheel it lands you on the side instead of oncoming traffic. Not sure if that was bull - I'd have to read it elsewhere to verify the claim, but it seems reasonable.

E55Bliss

By some implausible chance I have ended up with a 2002 E-55 ( Silver exterior, Black Interior, Navig., CD, and wired for Tel). Until now I was mainly interested in the BMW M5 as my dream car, but driving the E55 for the past two weeks has changed my mind about the fuddy duddy MB line. AMG has done a terrific job on the engine, suspension, and the interiors. But the steering is too soft and does not give adequate feel of the road. Also it seems to pull to one side when the tires encounter uneven road surfaces. The Bose audio system had a annoying static but the dealer is trying to fix these things. <br> <br> But the car is a sleeper. I had no idea that an automatic can shift so silky smoothly. Flawless engine response. Flat torque curve over a broad rpm range. <br> <br> Incredible. Now I am a convert. If only I could figure out the minor quirks, I will be really in heaven. <br> <br> Nat Kannan<br> Northern Virginia<br> <br>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts