Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,535 Posts
I think once they got away from CIS-E and went to V-6's and V-8's that the drive train got more reliable/serviceable. But I'm a gasser guy and so cannot speak for the various diesels they used over time.

Kevin
Couldn't disagree more. Balance shaft issues, worn cam timers, timing chain stretch, tensioners, guides, coil pack failures, etc, etc, etc.

The only post W124 era engine that gets my vote of approval is the OM648, the last inline 6 diesel made. 200 ponies, gobs of torque, quicker than the gasser V6, etc, etc, etc.

And current gen AMG engines suffer issues like metal fatigue of the pistons (cracking/chipping), dropped valves, timing chains issues allowing piston to valve contact, among other major deficiencies. And used replacement AMG engines directly sourced from MB, with less than 100 miles on the clock go for around 35K just for the block rendering these modern tech marvels instantly "uneconomical to repair".

Sorry, but the Germans have lost their mechanical prowess which they used to be champions in. And they are the better ones vs. BMW, Audi, Porsche. They've all become strictly lease machines. Once the lease is up, turn it back in before the ugliness starts.

And on the topic of AMG, the current line of AMG is nothing more than a electronic retune of the standard variants. Gone are the days of hand building motors, except for the Pagani engine blocks, stress testing each motor before release, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
17,535 Posts
The only thing I can ad is in the case of Alfa Romeo, the metal was rusting on its way to the factory.
Correct, and that metal came from Russia, since back in those days Alfa (always in need of a bailout like Chrysler) was owned by the Italian government and a licensing deal was struck for the Fiat 124 (4 door variant) to be built by Lada in Russia. In other words, a barter deal was made for steel in lieu of western currency as royalty payments. That's why Lancias, Fiats, Alfas from that era all turned to brown dust.

I wouldn't be surprised if the steel used on W202s, W210s, W220s and the like was not sourced in a similar fashion. After all, MB does have a huge plant in Russia.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,173 Posts
The non-metallic paints in the W201/W124 did a whole lot better than the metallic. My signal red is still in pretty decent shape, even though it was a daily driver most of it's life.
Never liked the metallics. They looked great when they were fairly new, that I agree with.

Granted I'm in California but I have not seen a spot of rust anywhere on my '89. Still looking .......

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,496 Posts
Couldn't disagree more. Balance shaft issues, worn cam timers, timing chain stretch, tensioners, guides, coil pack failures, etc, etc, etc.

The only post W124 era engine that gets my vote of approval is the OM648, the last inline 6 diesel made. 200 ponies, gobs of torque, quicker than the gasser V6, etc, etc, etc.

And current gen AMG engines suffer issues like metal fatigue of the pistons (cracking/chipping), dropped valves, timing chains issues allowing piston to valve contact, among other major deficiencies. And used replacement AMG engines directly sourced from MB, with less than 100 miles on the clock go for around 35K just for the block rendering these modern tech marvels instantly "uneconomical to repair".

Sorry, but the Germans have lost their mechanical prowess which they used to be champions in. And they are the better ones vs. BMW, Audi, Porsche. They've all become strictly lease machines. Once the lease is up, turn it back in before the ugliness starts.

And on the topic of AMG, the current line of AMG is nothing more than a electronic retune of the standard variants. Gone are the days of hand building motors, except for the Pagani engine blocks, stress testing each motor before release, etc, etc, etc.

Hmmmm....I've been told by more than a few people that the V-6 motor and drive train were dead solid reliable. I'll have to take your word for it since I've never owned a W210.

Kevin

·
Registered
17,535 Posts
I wasn't referring to the M112 or M113 in particular, but rather the sad state of affairs on the modern/current line up of MB engines.

And yes, I would take a M112 or M113 over the current garbage that MB pumps out. If it doesn't fail electronically, it will fail mechanically.

·
Premium Member
2005 CLK500 w/30K
846 Posts
I had a 93' 400E and it was very reliable. Any issue I had I could find an answer here. Replaced it with a W209 but still miss the seats. It was funny that Alfa Romeos got mentioned. We bought a new 1978 Spider (Niki Lauda version). It spent most winters in the garage but was still a rust bucket by late 80s. Got scrapped with 80K on it, drove to junkyard. The metal was disintegrating, even the rear bumper was rusting inside the plastic and bulged disgustingly. Worst steel I've ever seen on a car.

·
Premium Member
2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,387 Posts
I consider the following as the "fantastic 6", R107, W116, W123, W126, W124 and finally R129 listed in order of vehicle release.
I am very lucky to own and drive 2 of these - an A124 and an R129. They are summer cars only so I'm hoping that they tin worm will not bite.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts