Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
03 E500
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions on this small problem: I had my 97 E420 lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit springs, an approx 1.3 in. drop in the front, 1.4 in the rear. The car also has 17x9(rear) and 17x8(front) AMG Monoblock 3-piece wheels with BFG G-Force KDW tires, 245/45/17 rear, 235/45/17 front. The problem is a persistent fenderwell rubbing of the front tires with the fenderwell edge. I had the fenderwell edges rolled professionally, they look great, but rubbing still persists, a little better, though. THIS is the real issue: The AMG wheels came from my SL500, and have a 35mm offset. They look great, because of the wider track and have a custom, aggressive look, but I know this is why I am having rubbing problems. Next step: stiffer front shocks, KYB-A for the fronts to control wheel movement a little better, and if that does not solve the rubbing problem, narrower 215/45/17 front tires, and then step C: spring perch pads to raise the front up 0.3 inches. Does that sound like a logical order of progression to you guys??
Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
235/45/17s on 8" wide wheels with +35mm offset should fit a W210, at least with the stock suspension.

Are you sure your fronts are +35mm and not just the backs? I know the AMG monoblocks like E-Klasse's are +31mm in front, which comes even closer to the fender. Virtually every 17x8" and 18x8" wheel on Tire Rack is +35mm, with the exception of the ASA ST1-4 rims, which are +37mm.

·
Registered
2006 W220 S430 and 2010 W204 C300 Sport
227 Posts
Are you sure that the front wheel offset is 35mm? From memory I thought the SL offsets are a little less. 29mm to 31mm? I could be wrong, probably am. At any rate, if you are refering to the KYB AGX adjustable shocks, many vendors on line list the front shocks for a W210 as AGX, but they are not. They are regular, white colored, Gas-A-Just types, which are non-adjustable. For reference, if the part number is KF4742, these are not AGX type.

One thing to think about is if you go with a stiffer shock, the tire will still hit under an extreme condition like hard braking while hitting a pothole. Also, if you get the front end too stiff, you probably will not like the ride.

I have currently have Koni adjustable front shocks with shortened coils and an airbag insert. The Koni's are adjustable in 3 positions. I tried the middle position and it is too stiff, every rattle inside is amplified. I went back down to the softest position and it is stiffer than stock, but not so much to shake your teeth out.

The narrower tire will do the trick, but if your front wheels are sticking out too much, you may still feel some rubbing. I would take one of the wheels off and check the offset number first, before investing in new rubber.

Lastly, thicker pad will raise the front, helping everything, but you may raise it too much, then you will have to take the pads out again. Easy if you have the proper spring compressor, a lot harder if you do not.

-rob

Attachments

·
Registered
98 e320
85 Posts
Here's what mine looks like with Eibach pro kit, Koni sport adjustables and no. 2 spring pads, 17x8 Borbet with 35mm offset. 235/45/17 Yokos. Ride is dramatically improved from stock and not too harsh. Zero rubbing on fenders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts