Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a reason to go to Home Depot just for a reason to take the car for a drive. I drove probably ten times the distance it takes to get to Home Depot and back. I took it out on the highway, and found I really like driving the car over 80, but nowhere between 70 and 80 due to what I assume is out of balance tires. I also think there's some slack in the steering because I was surprised to find that I could take my hands off the wheel and track straight when going over 80 mph. Other times I noticed the typical situation of needing to pull the wheel right as the car likes to pull left, especially on uneven road. This is all no biggee, as I'm dropping the car off at the my brother's brother-in-law's shop tomorrow where it's new shocks, tierods, centerlink, steering shock, wheel bearing all await it's arrival. The car's heading up on the lift for a good inspection of all the front suspension rubber, and I'm anticipating replacing whatever we can while we are in there. I was impressed with how the part arrive in less than 24 hours, and at cost which is about 40% less than most of the prices I've seen online. So I'm not too worried about the slopping steering and wheel balance.

It was a fun ride, and the car just seems to get better and better as I learn it and drive it more. I had the car up to the red mark on the speedometer (~96 mph) and see that the car really drives at those speeds. I guess this really is an Autobahn car. Isn't it?

Since I felt like the car was running so well, on this cool ~30 degree night, I thought I'd try one more of those 0-60 tests. I'm pretty darned confident it was under 9 seconds, and probably much closer to 8. (I was on a slight downhill onramp.) So I think my car is running pretty darned well. As it warms up, the ticking in the lifters disappears, and it's just got that "throaty" v8 sound. It's clearly a car that likes to be driven.

So as I was heading back home after about nearly 30 miles of driving just for the fun of it, I thought I noticed an anti-freeze smell, and was sure that I had a coolant leak outside the car. I stopped at a friend's house and beeped as I saw their TV was on. He came outside, hopped in the car for a ride, and as we got out he noticed the drips on the driver side floormat. You can see signs of a little spray, and dripping. It took me a bit to verify it was the coolant I was smelling. When I got back to my garage, I verified it was green. There's not much there, just a little spray, probably a 1/4 of an ounce in total.

I'm not in the mood to open up the dash to figure it out tonight, and would rather report on a nice drive than lay on my back in the ice cold detached garage.

Has anyone else had a coolant leak near the gas and break pedals? Am I going to have to tear apart my dash?

Thanks in advance!

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like time to search heater core threads for some pictures. I'm going to assume that's the worst case.

I'm guilty of not yet taking that plastic cover off my car for fear of the rust I might find in there. Ignorance is bliss... but now I guess I've got a reason to open it up, eh?

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After no definite answer in my searches of the forum, I looked at the EPC. Oh man... I guess I better find out where the leak was coming from before it all dries up. Out to the freezing garage at midnight. Here we go.

Is this part of bringing an SL back from years of neglect, or just part of owning an old SL?

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a leaking hose

I know the picture quality blows, and the perspective of laying on the floor doesn't help much. Sorry. I tried to add annotations to the picture to help.

There's actually some green coolant on the hose that I circled in red. It also looks like there are tracks from the coolant dripping down the hose where the dust has been cleaned off. Otherwise, the hose was dry just about an hour or so after the drive, with nice toasty heat.

Anyone know what this hose is? Should it be soft? Is it OK that there's no clamp where the hose meets up with the body-color (white) sheet metal (firewall?)? Anyone else ever have this problem?

I think I found the leak. Now I need to find out how to fix it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure why crappy picture didn't load. Maybe there's a limit on the number of crappy pictures you are allowed to upload. (Of course it could have been user error I guess.)

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Anyone know what this hose is? Should it be soft? Anyone else ever have this problem?

Post number six.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
Looks like a drain hose from the Heater -A/C box. Looks like you have a heater core leak and this drain hose might be plugged and then it fills and leaks.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a drain hose from the Heater -A/C box. Looks like you have a heater core leak and this drain hose might be plugged and then it fills and leaks.
That sounds optimistic.

I came back inside after taking the plastic cover off the blower box for the first time. The hose on the driver side appears to be leaking coolant at the hose clamp (which is very hard to see). I can't see what the hose clamp connects the hose to, but it's definitely leaking there. I'm sure everyone knows the result of a coolant hose that's leaking in the blower box. Rust rust rust.

I know the picture quality sucks... so I posted a bunch in hopes of providing a good view.

I poked around in there with a screwdriver, and it all seems to be just surface rust, maybe caught just in time???

Conveniently my POR 15 package arrived last week. Cleaner, prep, & primer paint. I hope this is something I can tackle.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone know what this hose is? Should it be soft? Anyone else ever have this problem?

Post number six.
Too funny. I read the post at least 3 times before seeing the humor. I'm obviously in the weeds.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you isThisDave for the components and their locations thread. That may be one of my favorites.

So at this point, I'm guessing that soft tube must be the drain tube for the AC Condenser. The fact that it's leaking tells me I've got a clogged tube. The fact that I've got coolant coming out of it is a different story though, right?

So I assume coolant must be leaking into the blower box and ending up in the evaporator drain. Then the drain tube fills up with coolant and starts to leak into the car because it's got nowhere else to go.

I guess if I can fix my coolant leak in the blower box, I've got a chance of solving the problem.

Then there are two very bright sides to this new finding:
- I have the chance to treat the blower box rust before using the AC this summer
- I found out my drain tubes are likely clogged, and will need a cleaning before using the AC this summer.

Do you guys think I'm on track? Or have I likely gone wrong?

Maybe this weekend I can try to figure out how to fix the leak in the blower box.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm... I looked at Werner's blower box pictures, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/r-c107-sl-slc-class/246623d1246331683-1985-500sl-rust-repair-restoration-project-blower-compartment-restoration.pdf
... and see that mine isn't a ton better than his. It looks like he had a little rust through though, whereas I think mine MIGHT all still be surface rust. I'm just worried about whatever that hose connects to. If it's metal, I'm worried. If it's a hose that feeds through the firewall, I think I've got a chance at an easy fix.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe the drain is not clogged

If the coolant enters through the hole shown in the picture below, then I would guess that it's very possible that the coolant hose is dripping down onto this drain hose. The pictures show streaking that could be from drips elsewhere landing on the drain hose.

I'm running with the theory because I think it's improbably that I'd get so much coolant in that hose that it would fill up and leak (from gravity alone) and not spill a bunch of coolant when I squeezed it last night. I think it makes more sense to have a single problem of a leaking coolant connection that happens to be dripping on this drain hose. I'm now looking for a schematic or picture that shows where this coolant hose runs (assuming to the "heater core").

Boy do I have a lot to learn.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I assume that this is where my connection is leaking. I'm assuming this is part of the heater core assembly and is most likely a rigid connection. I'm hoping that I've got a bad hose connection to that heater core connection.

I don't know didly squat about heater cores, but I'd assume this would be made of a corrosion resistant metal, but I'm usually wrong when it comes to cars.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts