1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1986 W124 260E
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this website:

FUMOTO ENGINEERING

It says they have products for Mercedes...

Do any of the esteemed members have any experience on this product?? Looks like a great help for DIYers... :)

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
611 Posts
I had one on my last truck, a 1999 F250 diesel. I liked it a lot, because it made changing 15 (!!) quarts of used diesel oil a bit less messy. They protrude more than stock drain plugs, so if your particular engine has a plug that points straight down, keep that in mind. There is a slim but non zero chance that you can strike it on the ground.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,744 Posts
Seems to me that this simple drain valve isn't nearly as simple as the 13mm drain bolt already in the oil pan.

Jayare

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
Actually when you think about it, it's pretty convenient no more hot plugs to handle, no hot oil on hands and the best of all is you do not have to fiddle with re-installing the oil plug when completed.
Oil changes for the DIY has become a lot easier especially if do not have a lift like most of us. Crawl under flick the switch drain close complete.

·
Registered
1998 E300, 2006 R350
487 Posts
I have one on my F250. I like being able to easily take a sample at mid drain without making a mess. (For Blackstone OA). It flows slower, but the ease and convenience is worth it to me.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Actually when you think about it, it's pretty convenient no more hot plugs to handle, no hot oil on hands and the best of all is you do not have to fiddle with re-installing the oil plug when completed.
Oil changes for the DIY has become a lot easier especially if do not have a lift like most of us. Crawl under flick the switch drain close complete.
You've described the convenience of using a vacuum oil extractor and you don't even have to crawl under the car.

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
You've described the convenience of using a vacuum oil extractor and you don't even have to crawl under the car.
Right you are, Captain:bowdown:, how to change your oil in a tux eh.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,694 Posts
That is for sure :thumbsup:
... but my F450 is holding 15 quarts of oil and bellowed MityVac would have to be emptied 3 times for the job. Than I can roll under the truck without any lifting, so Fumoto valve made lot of sense, especially when draining directly to oil recycling container that are converted milk jugs.
Ford's spin on filter mounted at the bottom of the engine require crawling under no matter what and that is always very messy job.
One time when I was draining cold oil on my F450 via the valve -it took forever so that is not good. I also think the valve will trap some oil on Mercedes side plug. On Ford I have plug on the bottom center and the area is lowered, so it should not trap more than factory flange does.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
I know some people who have used these on their cars and they like them. I used to use one of those FRAM hookups on my SUV and that worked fine too. My only concern was whether or not everything was getting drained out, so I would remove it once in awhile and drain the old fashion way.

About the MityVac. I've been thinking about getting one and asked my mechanic about it last time I saw him. He's been a Mercedes mechanic for something like 25 years and I've used him for my German cars since about 1996, so I trust his opinion. He said he likes them, but has some concerns about using them all the time, and that they could leave sediment in the bottom of the pan that would otherwise flush out if you drain from the bottom. His advice was to make sure the engine is warmed up before using it (which you need to do no matter what method you use) and then to do a "proper" oil change every once in awhile. So, that's probably what my plan is. :cool: I can do an oil change fairly easily and quickly without one though, so we'll see...

·
Registered
36,694 Posts
If you have sediments in the oil pan, than you have more serious problem than choosing the way to get the oil out.
Maybe pulling the plug would give a chance of vacuum pump bearing balls to come out, but one, or 2 balls out is not changing the situation with a dozen still left in the pan.
I was in Germany about 30 years ago and vacuum extraction was the only way used in the country. With filters changed every second change at the time, some cars have been in and out in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
W124 E420 : W220 S500 : W222 S550
402 Posts
I have been committing about 50,000 miles per year the last few years......14 oil changes a year minimum...I got lazy.... Blew an engine

I now use the fumoto valve. I purchased a low profile drain pan. I don't not even use a jack. I change immediately after a several hundred mile drive.... Hot and thin.

Lie on the ground open valve, come back in an hour Change filter, close valve, fill

I do sit my filter on my hood as my very first step to remind me not to drive off dry since I do not use a jack... Lol... I do this each time although I actually only change filter everyother oil change

I love it

·
Registered
1986 W124 260E
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great!!!! Thank you for all your replies...

Now an idiotic question... All M103 engines have the same size drain plug regardless of displacement (2.6L and 3.0L) and where it was sent (eg. USA, Australia, or the Philippines) right????

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am considering the valve for all of my mb's..... I used the EPC and found there was more than one size amongst my 4 mbs

use the epc to be sure

Great!!!! Thank you for all your replies...

Now an idiotic question... All M103 engines have the same size drain plug regardless of displacement (2.6L and 3.0L) and where it was sent (eg. USA, Australia, or the Philippines) right????

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,445 Posts
I really don't see the huge deal...With an extension, I never get any oil on my hands. Maybe a little on the socket, but that's it.

I also worry about these things too...I don't know how they work, but you want to risk a failing valve ruining your engine so you can save a little oil on the hands?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I really don't see the huge deal...With an extension, I never get any oil on my hands. Maybe a little on the socket, but that's it.
You do have it right, not a big deal but a preference, not jacking up the car saves me only a few minutes..... not a big deal....do you jack up your car when using a wrench? it just feels a bit nicer to not have to worry about the bolt anymore... but only a bit...

I also worry about these things too...I don't know how they work, but you want to risk a failing valve ruining your engine so you can save a little oil on the hands?
This is why I did wait for many years to try one. I thought I would find a few horror stories.... to this day, only misues stories..... I am in a field where valves are a major item, the fumoto's are very well made..... I think they simply realize that a very expensive piece of equipment depends on its functionalityand durability.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
Bolt works just fine for me, never had problems draining the oil out of any car. Unless its a jiffy lube special with the complimentary stripped oil pan

·
Registered
36,694 Posts
Than again guys, Mercedes have distick tubes design for sucking the oil. Not too many W124 have belly pans, but sooner or later you will get one car with them and getting to oil plug is going to become big and very messy job.
With MityVac I can do oil change in about 6 minutes on my driveway, or inside garage with minimal risk of drips and if I don't change the orings on filter stick, I can do it with white gloves. Hard to beat.

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
We have replaced three engines over the years because the fancy oil drain apparatus failed. One became snapped off and two others leaked oil out during highway driving for whatever reason.

Stick with the drain plug. I'm amazed how much risk some people take to save a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts