Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
1997 C180 Eu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 C180 ATP Tour Esprit Manual Tran

Doesn't matter which gear I'm in or if the engine is hot/cold... When I push the pedal the last 1/8 inch to the floor, I experience an instant power loss/hesitation and basically maintains current speed or slows down. Typically slows down. Not a serious issue (I hope) but really annoying especially on the Autobahn. Is this normal? Can I make an adjustment to fix this?

This might be unrelated but I'll mention it for schitzengiggles.... The car starts up just fine. It idles at 1200 RPM for 2-3 minutes and seems angry about it (idles roughly, somewhat loud, smells gassy) and then settles down to a smooth idle at 700-800 RPM. THE POINT IS ... If I take off and drive it before it settles down, I have a lot of hesitation in all gears while accelerating, similar to my power loss issue. If I let the car settle down and THEN drive it, I have no hesitation (except for the full-throttle problem) Also, the full-throttle hesitation is always there regardless of either above scenarios.

Thank you for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
Do you have any engine codes? Sounds like limp mode, but you'll know if it enters limp mode if a check engine light is triggered (this is the case is the US, I would expect the same outside). Sounds like a few things, but the first questions is, do you have any check engine lights, when was the last time you did a tuneup and what was done (since it happens during warmup and WOT, you can ruleout the o2 sensor). But agree with above, it could be a fuel issue, but from the idle issues, it might be an air leak between the MAFS and the intake manifold...

1997 C180 Eu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved

Sorry I took so long getting back to this, I'm a busy bee these days. Turns out it was the MAF...

I unplugged the MAF and hit the road... I got all of my power back and no more hesitation at all... It's still not much power but I'm still impressed with the torque and top speed of this 1.8L. Now I just need a new MAF and until I can muster up the $150 for a new one, I'll deal with the lost fuel economy.

Any thoughts on buying a non-BOSCH MAF? I've heard its a bad idea...just wondering why?

Thanks again to all of you, I love this community!

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
The general consensus is that non-Bosch MAF sensors are
known to cause problems, while Bosch brand works perfectly. Rather than be a test subject, just buy the Bosch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts