Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380sl 1973mgmidget
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,a little history on my 1985 380sl,car sat for at least five years befor i bought it. I tryed to getit to run but was haveing fuel problems. When i pulled the strainer it was completly pluged so i decided to take the tank out and completely clean it,what i found was:eek:....complete liner failure,what a mess...so knowing iam not going to use this tank again i decided to dicect and show the swirrl pot and how it works,as you can see in the pics the return line is aimed at the bottom of swirrl tank..which has a 3/8 hole in it,if that hole gets pluged for any reason fuelpump willnot get any flow unless you have at least 1/2 tank of fuel in it to pour over top of swirrl tank. BTW if your haveing any issues like this i think you can take the plastic plug out of the convert top well, then pull the fuel sender and inspect without pulling tank (which is a pia) Cheers,rwa73

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Excellent ! Those pics also show why the strainer is likely to become clogged as the swirl tank acts as a holding bucket for debris.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
38 Posts
Tank Liner question

I also have an 85 380sl that sat for about the same time before I bought it. It would not run until I put on a new fuel pump, then it ran with no problems. I recently pull the tank just as routine maintanance. I discovered little flaky particles in it, I just realized the stuff I found was the same as in the picture on this post. My liner is apparantly breaking down, but it was not nearly as bad as was in this case shown.. What are the options for correcting this issue. I cleaned the tank the best I could but was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a new tank or are there any repair options for the liner?

·
Registered
1985 380sl 1973mgmidget
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dcrews,I dont know what were gona do either. If you find a source for new tank please let us know and ill do the same. I checked on ebay and found a couple but buy the time you pay shipping the cost is very high for a tank that might be just as bad as what we have now.shur wish i could find a new one. so for now i riged up a temp 2 gallon gas can with bulkhead fittings for supply and return lines ,works perty good for driving around the block and stuff but certainly not for road use.heres a pic of my85 sl and i just love the looks of this car.... Cheers,rwa73

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC. (working, in need of paint)/1987 300E/1989 635 CSI/2004 Honda Element (appliance)
142 Posts
When I bought my SLC, the tank was in that condition. I took it out, and took it to a radiator shop, where they "boiled" it in a solution that got rid of all the crud. Mine had about 2" of crud in the bottom. After that they used a sealant on it, and it is good as new. Try calling different radiator shops around your area, as they also deal with gas tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts