Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me? I'm trying to drain the fuel out of my 1972 350sl with out pulling the tank. i want to drain it by undoing the pressure side of the fuel line under the hood, put a longer line on and drain into a bucket. How do i keep the fuel pump running with a jumper wire in the fuel pump relay? i cant seem to figure out which terminals to jump. and i dont want to blow any fuses.

·
Registered
1964 Mercedes 220Sb
103 Posts
I wouldn't recommend that, you can burn out the pump and more than likely clog the fuel pump with the crap your trying to get out of the tank, plus the stuff will probably stay in the tank. there should be a large drain on the bottom of the tank as well, I think.

your better off getting under the car and unhooking the gas line from the tank or if you have good access to the tank through the fill hole drain it from there. (my car there is nothing besides the gas cap blocking access to the fuel, I could probably scoop it out with a cup lol.)

·
Registered
64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
512 Posts
Usually the fitting and hose from the tank to the pump is aged. check it replace it and drain the tank that way,

It is the cloth covered vertical hose disappearing above the pump into the black hole of the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. i have to tell u the story behind this car. My grandfather was very wealthy and lived in FL. Him and a buddy were walking past a barn that had a beat up car inside. Turns out it was a 1972 350sl convertible. My grandfather bet the guy that he would take him for a ride in this car in 2 years time. His buddy took the bet. My grandfather bought the car from the owner and put it the body shop then on to the mechanic shop. About a 1 1/2 years later, his buddy died. The car was 90% done and he quit working on it. My grandfather died 3 months ago and the car came into my hands.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Issues with barn finds

We "found" our original 1958 180a that we sold in 1972. It had been sitting for 30 years. The 3 major issues were brakes, engine and fluids. 2 years and $10,000 later it looks like new and runs great. This was more money than we spent on all of the Mercedes we owned in the 70' and 80's! Since it was our first one it had value beyond market price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts