Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,793 Posts

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,318 Posts
Dad said to me, "Don't worry, it only gets old people."
He's 64. /facepalm

All of you old farts better stay away from others.
Don't need this place turning into a ghost town.
Latest from the CDC. Half the people in ICU's are under 65.

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
1,318 Posts
I was on holiday in Austria last week staying in a ski village called Saalbach that had two known outbreaks in the week that we were there, roll on to this week.

Monday - dry cough and headache but not severe.

Tuesday - splitting headache and a bit more coughing, shivering/sweating. All over body pain.

Wednesday - same as Tuesday but more severe, couldn't get out of bed, hardly walk down the stairs, additionally, then diorama and coughing up phlegm.

Today - feeling a bit better and headache is under control with paracetamol.

Tomorrow - think I'll be mostly recovered.

Don't know if it was CV19 or flu as no testing unless your on deaths door.

Bad news is that Mrs RD has started with a dry cough.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,371 Posts
Wow,you were game traveling right now. Sounds like a close encounter of the worst kind - hope Mrs RD is fine.:)

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,169 Posts
Happy you might be on the other side. Sad the Mrs. might be starting. Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
1,318 Posts
For "game" you could substitute stupid, only two weeks ago the UK government was saying no problem to travel anywhere except northern Italy or wuhan. We had £2500 sunk into the holiday and insurance wouldn't pay out if we cancelled because the government said it was safe to travel. I am prety sure the government strategy back then was protect the insurance industry and try going for herd immunity. Of course it's all gone tits up since then.

Mrs RD is fine today and I'm feeling a bit better, just a bit light headed. I just asked her if she had known then what we know now, would she have still gone and she said yes, so all's well.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,341 Posts
I'm thinking that you need a haircut, Duggie.

But what interests me the most is how you got your voice so high.

Cindy squeezing your balls?

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,793 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
1,318 Posts
Major ramp up in the UK today, all pubs, clubs, restaurants, cinemas, theaters and gyms closed this evening till further notice. Incredibly the government will pay the salary off all impacted up to 80% so no one loses their job.

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,318 Posts
Friend with the OES say's the 10,000 lb elephant in the room no one will
talk about is another bad fire season when 10's of thousands of people
need to be evacuated. Probably the same nightmare folks on the East
coast have about a Cat4-5 hurricane hitting Florida or the Coast.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Went to my favorite Barber Shop to get sheared.
Chairs along long wall that were jammed together now spaced 6' apart.
Barber spraying chair after use and wiping down.
Bottle of had sanitizer for patrons to use as they exit.
Not crowded at all.
Barber says he thinks all non essential businesses including his will be shut down by this weekend.

Grocery stores have many empty shelves.
Not only is Toilet Paper in short supply, but now eggs, hamburger, and chicken.
Hoarding folks must be more pessimistic than I am.

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
168 Posts
If you want to know to what your world may turn in two or three weeks - take a look to Italy
But beliving that's all fake news will help for a while. We are pretty closed to that and at the moment it's stopping being fun. Running out of toilet paper won't be the problem, as well starving.
@RD: Many people have this flu but only minor symptoms. It may be these people who spread the disease throughout the country

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 2000 Kawasaki W650
979 Posts
We just had our first fatality in my town, at the hospital five miles from my house. I would have taken extra precautions sooner if the test results not been received Tuesday night, four days later. So, my advice is to act as though you are already infected. If you manage to evade it, good for you, and if you do get it, you’re well-practiced in keeping yourself from infecting others.

I have a particular interest in not infecting anyone. My grandfather on my father’s side died in the 1918-20 flu epidemic. My father was only two years old, so he never knew his father. My grandmother was left with five kids on a desperately poor farm in Wisconsin, long before rural electrification and other labor saving services. You can imagine the hardship. She remarried twice, the second stepfather more wicked than the first. I get a flu shot every year because even if it’s only slightly effective, that’s better than nothing and I like to think maybe if I can prevent just one kid from growing up without a father, that’s pretty good.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,382 Posts
I pulled my youngest out of school Thursday week, and only left the house myself Saturday to pick up the 1985 500sl AMG I bought, and wore gloves and anticipated wearing my mask. I never got with Ing 6 feet of the guy except for handing over the title. Later that night five of my friends were getting together for a rare event that was supposed to be all outside. Reluctantly I went. Last get together before the quarantine. I felt really like I was doing the wrong thing having a small quick dinner inside, kind of like we all looked at each other when my friend the host asked us to come in. His wife and kids were closing out DisneyWorld. Got home after dark to a pissed off wife. Didn’t leave the house until Wednesday when I had to drop off BBS bolts and badges to my local wheel shop. I wore a mask and gloves. I was the only person with a mask on. Today I ventured out again to get gas and some 3/8” fuel hose from the local autozone for the 350slc 4-speed. I was agin the only person in a mask, and felt weird standing in line, but ... I’ve been locked in with my family, and I’ll be damned if I’m brining coronavirus back to my house after we’ve been so cautious and feel so confident we don’t have it in our house. Getting the 350slc off it’s own tank today was the real break I needed to feel normal and good again. And I haven’t had this affect my life in any ways other than:
  • whole family at home with me, so I can’t spend my time in the garage as normal during the workday.
  • my company was supposed to be bought out and I was going to be an employee of a new company with much better benefits and vacation as of April 1. That’s been cancelled.
My sister (where I keep my car collection) and her daughter have been sick with a bad flu. It could be covid-19, but we will probably never know. I might have taken the 350slc to my sister’s farm this weekend now that it’s running off it’s own tank, but it’s not worth it if there’s coronaviris on the farm. It can wait.

Here’s my two most recent 107 purchases. Life is still good here. I can’t complain.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Went to Barber Shop yesterday to get this mop on my head sheared off.
Walked in and immediately noticed the normally jammed together chairs along the long wall now are spaced
6 feet apart. Both barbers were cutting on customers, nobody waiting except for me.
My barber, Terry, was not wearing a mask, but as soon as he finished the person in the chair, he sprayed the
chair with disinfectant and wiped it down. He had a bottle of hand sanitizer customers could use as
they exited the store. Terry said business was so slow he was closing the shop at noon.
There is talk about closing down all non-essential businesses and I suppose I won't get another haircut
for several weeks to several months.

Around here, I have only seen two people wearing masks - two customers at Home Depot where I
purchased a battery powered Hedge Trimmer to replace my broken gas powered Hedge Trimmer.
Highly recommend the Ryobi 18v Hedge Trimmer - much lighter, longer bar, and at $99 less expensive
than purchasing $129 of repair parts for my Echo Hedge Trimmer.
Life must go on even when we are supposed to be "sheltering in place" :)

61 - 80 of 113 Posts