Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,539 Posts
Yes, indeed PanzerPuff - and it's going to get much worse, or better, depending on one's perspective. The global impact will be unprecedented, but it will probably pan out like it usually does - the rich will eventually get richer, the poor will get poorer, and the middle class will get squeezed again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,793 Posts
I always take the dogs out for a walk between 5:30a and 6:00a depending on when they wake me up.
Normally I see cars going by on the road I live on and can hear heavy equipment noises.
No cars and it seemed eerily quite this morning.

BTW, around the first of March I came down with flu like symptoms, recovering now, just a little weak.
Earlier this week I was curious if I had a dose of Coronavirus and I had gotten email that Medicare
would pay for the testing with no copay. I called my doctor for the test but he said they don't test.
Doctor suggested that maybe the Hospital will test - hell, I'm not going to the ER just to get a test, even if there is no copay. I might contract some other disease going to our usually crowded ER, assuming if it had the ability to do the test.
Called CVS Minute Clinic, no testing. Called Novant Urgent Care, no testing. Where in the hell
is testing done? When I had the flue, I didn't go to the doctor, just self medicated against my wife's instance.
I suspect the counting for Coronavirus is only those that go to the ER. There is no reasonable way
to get a "free" test for Coronavirus - at least in our area of the country.

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
168 Posts
Here in Germany everybody is amazingly relaxed. They know what's coming up and there will no way to stop it but that's even not necessary. The course is determined by nature, you can only influence the shape of the infection-curve. Only that's what is really important: you need always more doctors, nurses and beds in hospitals than patients (momentary that's the problem in Italy). We have 80.000 Respirator-machines for 80 Million people - hope this will be enough. And for the most people the payment will go on as normal, even when they must stay at home, if they are sick than anyway.
Testing capacity is very good as well. So in 4-6 weeks we will know more. 20 Years ago nobody would have noticed a difference between normal flu and corona...
And yes: Fuel is amazing cheap :). Perfect time to by fuel an shares.

Martin

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
285 Posts
We're just starting our spring school break here, and the schools have opted to remain closed for 2 weeks afterwards as well. I suspect part of that is to encourage quarantine for the families who will still be travelling over the break. My work has been incredibly accommodating regarding the need to take time off to care for the kiddies, but I know a lot of other jobs won't be so generous and I have no idea how families where both parents work will cope. Agree with above sentiments that it's a mitigation game at this point. Wash your hands!

I saw gas at $0.89/L today, although the OPEC feud is likely as much responsible as Covid-19. My winter car has a 2.0L engine though so not really helping me much.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Jim, hope you will reach home as expected, the Austrians have already closed St. Anton and Paznauntal. But the Germans (or should I say the Bavarians) won't close the border so fast, here every unpopular decision takes more time than in the rest of the world.
Martin

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 2000 Kawasaki W650
979 Posts
It’s hard to predict how much you have to pay for medical treatment here in the States because they bill you afterwards, a curious business model that sometimes results in receiving an astonishingly expensive bill without any prior warning. This can happen even with the best health insurance policy should you receive treatment from a doctor who isn’t covered by your insurance company.

I was once on the hook for a $5,000 bill for tests my insurance company told my doctor would be covered, but after I had the tests the insurance company claimed they wouldn’t cover them. I spent a few weeks fighting with them until they finally agreed the tests were covered.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you take the best from every county and nation in the world and would concentrate it in one place, that would be Paradise on earth.
But who loves it too perfect? You would have nothing to improve. it would be like going to the MB dealer an buy a new 107 :)

·
Registered
1988 560SL, 1969 280SL(113)
127 Posts
My annual trek to Italy has been scheduled for months with an April 30 departure. Tickets in hand of course. Not much chance of meeting the schedule this year.

We are in daily contact with friends and relatives there who are chaffing under the severe lockdown rules. So far no positive cases among them. 🤞🏻 I’ve watched the Italian evening news via internet for the last few nights. Amazing shots of deserted streets and normally active tourist hot spots.

The only positive side for me will be a lot more 107 and 113 outings here in the USA this spring and probably this summer.

·
Registered
1972 450SL / 129k miles
50 Posts
This car is keeping my mind off of the Coronavirus
I'm tired of hearing about it
I'm a public health professional and doing all I can to keep my family safe.
But other than that, many people are panicking and that can do more harm than good.

Let me go back to researching how (and IF) I should replace my entire floorboards

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,382 Posts
I’ve got tickets for the family for both Florida at the end of April, and Yosemite at the end of June. Both appear to be in jeopardy right now. I think I can consider Florida cancelled unless maybe we decide to drive. Getting on a plane to then hang out around older people in Florida just feels irresponsible.

We need to shut this thing down and stop the spread, but it does seem like immunity is ultimately only going to come from catching the virus. I’m not sure that we will be able to keep it away until there’s a vaccine. The only potential treatment appears to experimentally get transfusions from people who have overcome covid-19 in hopes of getting their antibodies (or whatever they are called).

My family is young, so I expect we are ourselves going to be fine. My step mother and mother in law are my kids’ only remaining grandparents, and I fear for them, as I fear for a lot of the friends on this forum.

Last night, a friend had invited 5 people over to hang out around his fire pit last night before his kids came home from Disney world. It felt irresponsible to attend, but I did anyway. Going and picking up the 500sl AMG also felt irresponsible, but less so.

·
Registered
1972 450SL / 129k miles
50 Posts
I’ve got tickets for the family for both Florida at the end of April, and Yosemite at the end of June. Both appear to be in jeopardy right now. I think I can consider Florida cancelled unless maybe we decide to drive. Getting on a plane to then hang out around older people in Florida just feels irresponsible.
My family should be in Helsinki right now on a on day layover before arriving in Paris tomorrow.
It's my 6 year old's birthday (last week) and spring break (this week) so we were going to EuroDisney to celebrate.
Since all flights to Europe were cancelled we made an audible to go to Cancun and then Disneyworld instead.
Well those tickets had to get refunded too as a few hours later all Disney parks got shut down.

Good thing we don't tell our kids about our travel plans until we are parking at the airport.

We also have tickets to the Olympics.
First set were on Air China via Beijing.
After the news hit a couple months ago cancelled and switched to Korean Air via Seoul.
But now Seoul is heavily infected so we're looking at JAL xLAX.
Only problem with that is Tokyo is gaining ground and the Olympics as a whole are looking to be postponed.

I'm almost ready to throw my hands up with international travel this year and rent an RV to visit our national parks.

Thanks for welcoming me into the R107 world and allowing me a respite from the worldly madness.

·
Registered
1981 380SL, 2012 GLK 350, 2008 Corvette, 2002 Nissan Xterra, 1965 Dodge Dart Wagon
248 Posts
Went to Costco to gas up yesterday and only 2 people in front of me, on a Saturday afternoon! Crowds at the stores aren't too bad but had to go to 3 to get everything I wanted. At least people are patient and not fighting. Roads are deserted here in Los Angeles, which is really strange. Hopefully by next week the panic buying will be done.

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
493 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,309 Posts
I hear ya, Fonz. My family is ticketed in to Key West on March 31st for a 1-week stay. fingers crossed

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,318 Posts
My wife just monitored an alert that 6 of the 9 S.F. Bay Area counties are under a "shelter in place" advisory.
Starting to get serious.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts