Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this forum on fuel tank leaks and seem to have siimilar symptoms to some of the posts. However, ther eis no mention of the correct procedure for removal of the tank ....

My tank has started leaking from the top - typically showing 4/5ths on the guage. There is no access under the vehicle to see the leak as the tank is too close to the floor pan.

I have removed the fuel sender access and still cannot find the source of the leak. The only option now is to drop the tank.

Do I ned to remove the whole rear sub-frame or can I just undo the tank straps and remeve the carrier bar after disconnecting the lines and electrics to the tank?

The most efficient procedure will be really helpful.

Thanks for a great forum by-the-way. It has helped enormously and saved me a whack of cash I am sure.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Is it leaking all the time or only when the tank is full? If it is leaking only when the tank is full, suspect the gasket of the pump assembly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 43sqd!

It looks like a bit of a job but at least I do not have to dis-assemble the whole back end.

Definitely not leaking from the pump assembly as I have checked this already. I suspect a stone has got caught between the tank and the floor and has eventually made a hole in the tank. I live on a very rough road so there would be a lot of oportunity for this.

I will let you know how I get on at the weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Job done at the weekend. No more leaks!
Problem was the breather pipe that had been forced out of the tank groove at the bend between the high and low profiles of the tank. The pipe had been rubbing on the floor pan.

If you live on dirt roads this is likely to be a problem as the dirt gets in behind the pipe and will force it out eventually.

I fixed it with some Pratley Power Bond (powcer and glue mix) AND some self amalgumating tape to be sure.

Thanks for the instructions 43sqd.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a leak too. Did you lower the tank to do the examination???

Job done at the weekend. No more leaks!
Problem was the breather pipe that had been forced out of the tank groove at the bend between the high and low profiles of the tank. The pipe had been rubbing on the floor pan.

If you live on dirt roads this is likely to be a problem as the dirt gets in behind the pipe and will force it out eventually.

I fixed it with some Pratley Power Bond (powcer and glue mix) AND some self amalgumating tape to be sure.

Thanks for the instructions 43sqd.
Hello Simpure,

I have a gas leak from my ML too. I was thinking about lowering the tank just a little by unscrewing the straps to examine the tank and the hoses fuel filter, and so on. Were you able to do that or did you have to completely remove the tank???

Do you think I can just unscrew the straps and lower the tank safely to do an examination???

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Firstly, you are posting on a 5 year old thread.
Secondly, no, you cant. You will damage fuel pump, filter, fuel lines etc...etc.
Read the PDF 43sqd posted 5 years ago in post #3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts