Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the first 1/4 tank on my 124 never equals 4.7 gallons worth of distance at the average this car appears to get, 'bout 22 MPG.

Anyone know how much the 'top' 1/4 really is?

Thanks!

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,667 Posts
I see that it really makes no difference what "top" is Kelly. "Top" is a loose term dependant on where the tank was filled to. Given the tank holds 18.5 gal. at the bottom of the fill neck and the low reserve light illuminates when 3.5 gal. remain, you are close to dealing with 5 gal. per quarter tank or somewhere very near 100 miles of driving. I haven't ever read any specification regarding gauge movement vs. actual fuel consumed other than the low level indicator light activating with the above mentioned amount remaining in the tank.

Jayare

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's merely the first 1/4 is consumed over the first 70 miles, or thereabouts, whereas, dividing the tank by 4 should result in about 100 per quarter of a tank.

Just wondering. If there's one thing I've found in Mercedes cars, it's a very strict dedication to having things be accurate. I mean, it's no big deal, just surprised me.

I'm sure the highest part of the tank has a slight taper to it, or the like, resulting in it holding slightly less volume.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,507 Posts
They do configure the fuel sender to give you the illusion of better fuel economy.

On my 1990 i have observed that the 3rd 1/4 of the tank, (from 1/2 to 1/4) is the one that goes in about 50 miles (combined. not so much with freeway) On my 94 its the last quarter (from 1/4 to empty) that is the little quarter. Otherwise all the others quadrants last about 100 miles. I've gone nearly 100 miles with the reserve light on.

Most people don't wait until the tank is about half full or slightly less before they refill it. By gaming the sender to read as though they have used less fuel, it gives the illusion of better fuel economy to the consumer. Someone who religiously documents thier fuel use would know that the gauge is rarely 100% accurate except maybe when its full and when the reserve light comes on.

The way i see it, when my gauge reads just over half/ close to 2/3s, i have half. At 1/4, i have about a third (including the reserve.)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm one of those who tracks MPG religiously. Have done it since vehicle one over 25 years back...I'm not sure why, I just started doing it. Part of it was I wanted to track the progress of repairs and whatnot because my first car was a basket case.

I've found the gauges on many a modern, i.e. post-1995, decent car is spot on. Even the gauge in my Suckazuki Grand Vitara started moving off "F", even if filled to the tippy-top, within 12-15 miles. My wife's RX300 and '95 Intrepid are/were similar in nature.

At the same time, I've owned some GM land-yachts which had fuel gauges having the accuracy of, if it's on "F" or moving around, the needle, that is, you have fuel. If it's not moving, you'd better be in search of gasoline.

On both a '73 Coupe deVille and an '85 Fleetwood Brougham, the needle would stay on "F" forever, then it'd drop like a rock in 120 miles. Ah...GM engineers....

I know a big part of the Mercedes is I'm not accustomed to it, yet, as I've put only a thousand miles on it since purchase in January. On mine, it seems 1/2 really is 1/2 of a tank. I've run it to the reserve light coming on, and I love that feature, it takes about 15.3 gallons at the reserve light, so it's pretty spot-on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts