Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 420SEL
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a rubber, Open hose, Near the rear differential. The hose is under the tank and its dripping from it. Is this a drain plug rotted away or what?

And by the way, I for the life of me can't get the fuel pump cap/nut off to change the fuel pump.

On the 420sel is it the cap you gotta take off or bolts in front of the metal hosing on the fuel pump? I'm lost.

All videos and pics show the caps, and the metal hose slides up off the fuel pumps valve, But, My cap looks a lot different than that too. Idk

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,876 Posts
Theres a rubber, Open hose, Near the rear differential. The hose is under the tank and its dripping from it. Is this a drain plug rotted away or what?

And by the way, I for the life of me can't get the fuel pump cap/nut off to change the fuel pump.

On the 420sel is it the cap you gotta take off or bolts in front of the metal hosing on the fuel pump? I'm lost.

All videos and pics show the caps, and the metal hose slides up off the fuel pumps valve, But, My cap looks a lot different than that too. Idk
I think pictures of what you describe would be helpful, maybe even what is dripping out.

There are no capscovering the fuel pumps on a 420SEL as you can see in the image below.

Here are some parts/repair diagrams of a 420SEL fuel tank, fuel evaporation control & fuel pump 'package' for comparison.

MBL

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.02.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.11.19 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 5.58.52 AM.png

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 420SEL
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think pictures of what you describe would be helpful, maybe even what is dripping out.

There are no capscovering the fuel pumps on a 420SEL as you can see in the image below.

Here are some parts/repair diagrams of a 420SEL fuel tank, fuel evaporation control & fuel pump 'package' for comparison.

MBL

View attachment 2651143 View attachment 2651144 View attachment 2651145
I was right about the cap thing. It screws off. The hose on the other hand, Found out (dumb moment...Drum roll!!) I was looking at a drain plug for the spare tire area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts