Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project E420 the car had been sitting for quite a while before I picked it up.

I have gone through and replaced all fluids and filters, I also drained the fuel and switched out the fuel filter and pump.

The car cranks but doesn't start. If I give it a little starter fluid it will turn over then die. 1 out of the 4 times that it turned over left me with an ASR error on the dash. My OBD II doesn't pull anything.

I have a kit to check the fuel system pressure, but I am not sure what it should be for this car. Does anyone know?

I was going to send in the injectors anyways to get cleaned and rebuilt/refurbished.

Any other ideas on potential issues?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,722 Posts
I think you need above 30 psi fuel pressure on those cars. Search the archives for correct data.
No mileage given. As far as I know those injectors outlast the engine.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
my first guess would be the fuel pressure regulator, or the fuel pump relay. you mentioned you replaced the fuel pump, did you use a new one or a used one? did you measure current through it to see if was working?

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Good advice above...

also, be very careful with that starting fluid. IIRC you just replaced the throttle actuator, and using starting fluid imprudently can necessitate another replacement...

The ASR error is likely tied to manual manipulation of the throttle butterfly when using the starting fluid.

Good luck,

JR

·
Registered
1997 E420
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All right here is the update so far.

Yes the fuel pump that I put in is new.

I haven't checked the current, but I can definately hear it when I turn the key.

I popped the fuel rail out and slide towels under the injectors to see if they were spraying. (local mechanic recommended I do this) The injectors did not spray. Unfortunately the kit I have to test fuel pressure doesn't have a fitting that will work for this car. I also covered the fuel rail with a towel and fuel would spray from the pressure valve. So I know I have at least some pressure to in the rail.

I pulled the injectors and took them to a local shop the specializes in injectors. They flow tested them they said one of the 8 failed and another they said was questional. But shouldn't the other injectors still spray? So I assume the injectors are not getting power to the injectors. I have checked all the fuses that I can find, not sure if I am missing some I am still waiting for my manual to come. I noticed on a lot of other threads dealing with the fuel system to check the OVP relay. It sounds like in most cars it is beind the battery. I don't see anything remotely like that around the battery. Can anyone tell me where it would be in this car?

Thanks for the tip on the starter fluid J.R. I will definately avoid that.

·
Registered
1997 E420
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the injectors back today, the two that were bad have been cleaned. I installed the fuel rail and the car still doesn't start. I am almost sure I am not getting power to the injectors. Can anyone tell me how to test for power to the injectors and for that matter the ignition coils. I got the CD service/repair manual on ebay and can't find any info at all on the fuel system. It looks like the fuse for the ignition coils is 19 and that is good but I can't find any other info. still can't find the OVP relay, if anyone could tell me where that is would appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
I can only help with the OVP. There is none. The function of the OVP in prior cars is now split between the engine computer and the K40 relay module.

·
Registered
1997 E420
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the chances that it is the K40 relay? Did some research and it looks like it causes a lot of electrical glitches very similar to some that I am having. Anyone know if the power to the fuel injectors runs through this relay?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts